Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Woods Ready
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride with a diverse group. We have everything from Blur LT's to Dick's Sporting Goods Mongooses, (or is that Mongeese) but it doesn't matter because it's all about the ride. Recently, one of our especially tall riders broke his frame on our group ride. He doesn't have much money and rides one of the Dick's bikes. It's too small, so he extends the seat post past the reccommended length. He knows this is bad, but they just don't make a bike that cheap, tall enough for him.
The same week, his wife totalled their car, so any hopes of a new bike were shot. He was really bummed, as were we... you see, this guy loves to ride probably more than any of the rest of us.

This is where I get misty eyed. :D Without much ado, and in secret, the rest of the group just kind of gave. When it was all over, we had $650 bucks. We shopped around for a deal and was able to find everything he always talked about wanting on a bike (disc brakes and full suspension). Sunday, a new Iron Horse Maverick Elite was delivered to my door.

A few of the guys came over that evening to help assemble it, and we plotted on how to spring it on him. When we finished, I was pretty proud. It's no Santa Cruze, but it's a really nice bike. We adjusted the deraillers, played with the suspension, and got the brakes broken in.

I try to help people when I can, but it's even better when you find out your friends are ready to go the extra mile when someone is in need. We surprise him next Saturday by inviting him on our ride and offering to let him ride one of my "other bikes".

Attachments

·
Don't Stop Spinnin'!
659 Posts
super cool story... you have to take pics of his reaction when you guys tell him "it's all yours" you guys are really good friends... hope he enjoys it to the fullest..!

nice color choice btw. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Oh man that's phenomenal!!!

I definitely want to see a 'candid camera' video hiding somewhere. Get creative as this is going to be an amazing experience for your amigo!

-Rob

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Oh that is just a great story. A very impressive total. Nice to see there is some generosity in the world. I hope your crew has many more great rides together.

·
Registered
339 Posts
if i were u i would feel better than him upon the giving of the bike!!!! well done!!!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.