Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MTBR member-at-large
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like "NORBA" is officially dead. This was posted on the Mountain Bike Action website, seems as though USA Cycling is trying to flex it gorilla arms once again . . .

http://mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=2170

As a xc racer and cyclist or multiple disciplines this just really pisses me off!!! It was bad enough when pro purses disappeared but now taking away the identity of mountain bike racing is going way too far. I shouldn't be so upset since NORBA has been dying a slow death for years now. I just hoped that USA cycling would see the errors of its ways and try to fix NORBA, not kill it.

Show me a race promoter who bucks USA cycling and I'll show you my entry fees!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
From my perspective here in the south, it looks like USA Cycling is just making better use of some of the more established and well contested regional events by folding them into a national calendar. Cool with me.

Like the Bump and Grind race in Birmingham, AL. It's always been a stand alone, but very well attended, event in the past. The fact that you can get not-Norba points for racing it will probably only make it that much bigger. And how cool would it be to see Horgan-Kobelski, Kabush, etc. burning your formerly local race in pursuit of points?

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
GrantB said:
From my perspective here in the south, it looks like USA Cycling is just making better use of some of the more established and well contested regional events by folding them into a national calendar. Cool with me.

Like the Bump and Grind race in Birmingham, AL. It's always been a stand alone, but very well attended, event in the past. The fact that you can get not-Norba points for racing it will probably only make it that much bigger. And how cool would it be to see Horgan-Kobelski, Kabush, etc. burning your formerly local race in pursuit of points?
I thought the bump and grind has been part of the AMBC for the last several years. No? I think they even had UCI points up for grabs a few years ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Identity? Maybe I am naive but what is the big deal? I could care less about the name of the organization. From what I understand, the only change is that the word "NORBA" no longer exists. In fact it seems as if there are more opportunities to earn points or entry to compete for the stars and stripes this year.
USAC has made an effort to reach/include people who live outside of the western US and in my opinion that is a great move.
From what the letter stated, usac is attempting to strengthen it's brand name by simplifiying it. From a marketing standpoint that makes good sense.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
*rt* said:
B&G was an AMBC race in 2006. pretty sure it was before then as well.

rt
B&G has been an AMBC for as long as Ive known what it was....

And back in 02, I know it had a lower level UCI rating too...it fell under a C2 or C3 rating I think...

I remember seeing several future (current) stars that year too...2002 BUMP Results

.....I dont see an *rt* though ;) :D

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
And I guess if they are trying to simplify their image and just be called USA Cycling "whatever", I should only have to purchase one USA Cycling license to race mountain and road events...and not get jammed with another 60 dollars on a road license...thats what I call simplicity :thumbsup:

However it is fun racing one days in Road cat 5 and laying waste to the competition...;)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
mtbfool said:
I thought the bump and grind has been part of the AMBC for the last several years. No? I think they even had UCI points up for grabs a few years ago.
Wow. I was wrong. Bad example. Well, maybe a better example would be a few of the SERC races that are on this calendar. Maybe I don't understand this issue at all. Entirely possible.

·
XC rider
278 Posts
Good! I'm glad they pulled this...I'm sick of throwing away 60 a year for a stupid license. :madman: I'm done with this. I hope the people at team bigfoot keep it real and don't require US cycling crap for the nor cal series. My team is working to do a central cal point series. NO NORBA or US Cycling.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
The SS Boz said:
And I guess if they are trying to simplify their image and just be called USA Cycling "whatever", I should only have to purchase one USA Cycling license to race mountain and road events...and not get jammed with another 60 dollars on a road license...thats what I call simplicity :thumbsup:

However it is fun racing one days in Road cat 5 and laying waste to the competition...;)
Still have to buy separate license for road and mountain bike, but it's like years past where one is a primary and the other is an add on for $30.

·
XC rider
278 Posts
Good point. They still are going to ring that extra 60 bucks out of the MTBs. If they truly wanted to unite they would only have one fee..sorry to be ugly. Its just frustrating to have to spend so much money to race. MTB races are double the cost of crits and road races, why? If they unite and one have one license, it would be great. I just think for the average weekend warrior who may race 4 or 5 road races and a few MTB races 90 bucks is too much.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
The SS Boz said:
B&G has been an AMBC for as long as Ive known what it was....

And back in 02, I know it had a lower level UCI rating too...it fell under a C2 or C3 rating I think...

I remember seeing several future (current) stars that year too...2002 BUMP Results

.....I dont see an *rt* though ;) :D
hehe. nope, my first B&G was '03. :D

rt

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I don't see a problem here.

This will make for a stronger national cyclng community.

There are plenty of people out there who can't stand NORBA/ "ourtrageous fees"/ whatever and who want to race in a different/more local/grass roots/ mellow like back-in-the-day venue. Go to it! What you find out is that in order to survive you have to adopt production strategies which, in the end, make you look like a NORBA race anyhow. That is unless you like to work for nothing and don't care about liability.

No one is gettng rich at USA Cycling.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I can see where RC's coming from but, in the long run, I'm not sure it matters. I do however, like the fact that he's willing to throw that letter back into the faces of the organization. Right or wrong it shows that he has a certain measure of integrity that - unfortunately - is rarely found in industry specific publications these days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.