Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
XC = fewer broken bones
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the link:

http://www.marinij.com/lifestyles/ci_14130403

While reading the article keep in mind: 1) the columnist/reviewer, Tanya Henry, the article notes at the bottom, has a background as an editor and in journalism, but no note of mountain biking or biking interest; 2) she mentions the word "quirky" two times in the article without understanding the concept of the establishment and its predominate customer's needs.
Isn't quirky one of the adjectives of how one might describe Fairfax in general?

Unfortuately, even the majority of the few comments in the Marin IJ has signs of not understanding the concept of a biking hang out.

Murphy, I wish you much success and will stop by with bike in tow (without worrying about theft of) for a cold brew and a hot brat after my next ride in/near Fairfax!

(I waited a while to see if you {Murphy} would post a link, but you must be busy running things to do so)

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Been there a couple times, article seems pretty dead-on to me.

I do kind of wish they had more CA beers on tap. Next time there I will have to try something other than the Green Flash IPA.

-slide

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Same here Slide.

slide mon said:
Been there a couple times, article seems pretty dead-on to me.

I do kind of wish they had more CA beers on tap. Next time there I will have to try something other than the Green Flash IPA.

-slide
We had a small after ride birthday gathering for a friend there a few weeks ago, and other then us being a little quirkie, the place was great! Best braut I've ever had too. Don't remember what ale we had though.....:eek:

JMac

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
datenschwanz said:
i talked to the woman who did the review. she got a lot of facts wrong despite my staying firmly on message.

any press is good press.
Seemed like a good review to me, what did I miss? A quirky bar for renegades and muddy bikers. All good in my book.

-slide

p.s. Last Tues I did actually pass on stopping in, me and the bike were just a little too muddy. Will drink twice as much next time to make up for that...

·
XC = fewer broken bones
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not that this changes my original purpose and intent of this thread, which is linking the article about Gestalt Haus, I need to immediately make a correction about a comment in the first post about Tanya Henry not “…understanding the concept of the establishment and its predominate customer's needs.”

After rereading her piece this evening (thanks to the guilt inducing {j/k} post by from slide mon), I realize somehow I skipped her last paragraph which totally changed my perception on that comment. Since in my first reading I had not read any attempt by her in connecting the atmosphere and concept of Gestalt Haus to its primary customer base and assuming it was probably because she was not a rider (since she made no mention of it) I felt that she didn’t understand that what she thought was important in a restaurant for this market was different then what we (biker riders) thought - looking for a
place to hang out and refuel before/after a ride in their gear or what Baycat in post #7 said.

Sorry Tanya and to those readers I created any confusion on this issue. I will now look for hiring a personal reading czar (rather then purchase that carbon seat post that Santa didn’t bring) to prevent any similar mistake from happening in the future.

That is pretty much the meat of this post, but for those who have nothing better to do keep reading for more info

Here is the paragraph I unintentionally skipped:

With its stripped-down interior, equally sparse menu and plenty of attitude, the cycling community has taken on Gestalt Haus as one of its own. Given that this county gets credit for inventing mountain biking, it's no surprise a place with a tagline Brats, Beer, Bikes and that is run by folks who live and breathe their sport would become an instant hit. The sense of bringing an already tight knit community together is palpable here, and it seems this Fairfax addition is well on its way to living up to its name.

I wish I could blame my error on my perception created after years of anti-bike leaning articles and reader opinions in the Marin IJ, or having the off-bike riding winter blues, or the abundance of prime Marin fire roads we are so fortunate (albeit restricted) to ride legally (sarcasm), but it was a user (my) error with my page down or down-arrow button on my keyboard.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In Review....

Lucky for us that GH will not live or die based on a newspaper review, but will depend on the support/patronage of all of us in the community, as it should be.
Truly more than the sum of it's parts IMHO, GH has a bright future in Fairfax.
Oh yeah, and the jukebox rocks, :cornut: best box since the one at the Peso went techno....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.