Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
mtb'er
4,211 Posts
Definitely legit. G-town is one of those spaghetti trail systems that is best to ride with someone who knows the better routes... and a shuttle can eliminate stupid steep climbs. (Perhaps the same could be said of UCSC trails?)

I'm a pretty dedicated trail explorer, but Georgetown confuses me. I feel like I take the wrong turn way too often. I don't really want to go back without a veteran trail boss -- ideally for free with a buddy who knows the lay of the land well -- but if you have expendable income, hooking up with P. Dubs and Bender probably won't leave you disappointed, while supporting a nice MTB start-up in a zone some say is Downieville circa 1993.

·
President of the Internet
823 Posts
Definitely legit. G-town is one of those spaghetti trail systems that is best to ride with someone who knows the better routes... and a shuttle can eliminate stupid steep climbs. (Perhaps the same could be said of UCSC trails?)

I'm a pretty dedicated trail explorer, but Georgetown confuses me. I feel like I take the wrong turn way too often. I don't really want to go back without a veteran trail boss -- ideally for free with a buddy who knows the lay of the land well -- but if you have expendable income, hooking up with P. Dubs and Bender probably won't leave you disappointed, while supporting a nice MTB start-up in a zone some say is Downieville circa 1993.
I'm no G-town expert, but I feel I know most of the major trails pretty well. I'll show you where I ride, if you want. This is kind of my standard route.

It did take quite a bit of orienting to figure it out in the beginning. What I've found helpful is to take a ride like the one linked and make it into a route in Strava, so you can just follow it as you ride. The problem you run into is there are a lot of trails that are not mapped, so you hit a fork and don't know which way to go. The Strava route really helps.

·
More Torque
2,024 Posts
I'm no G-town expert, but I feel I know most of the major trails pretty well. I'll show you where I ride, if you want. This is kind of my standard route.

It did take quite a bit of orienting to figure it out in the beginning. What I've found helpful is to take a ride like the one linked and make it into a route in Strava, so you can just follow it as you ride. The problem you run into is there are a lot of trails that are not mapped, so you hit a fork and don't know which way to go. The Strava route really helps.
Looks like a cool route..can you post up the gpx? I don’t have the premium Strava.
TIA!
-D

·
More pie please
1,986 Posts
Looks like a cool route..can you post up the gpx? I don’t have the premium Strava.
TIA!
-D
There is an option on Strava pages to "Create Route".

https://www.strava.com/activities/2357364724/route

Once you have created the route, you can save the .gpx I just tried that and it worked for me as a non-premium member. (Made it "private" and deleted it after my test.)

Hope that helps,
///Charlie

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I did some time exploring out there and I'll second that not everything is on the map. Some of the trails you definitely don't want to go the wrong direction on. My advice would be to hook up with Tom from California Expeditions and do a shuttle for one day. After you've done a shuttle you'll be able to lay your routes on top of the map and then figure out ways to ride on your own.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,314 Posts
Old thread, just ain't dead.. I'm in the Gold country for a few days over the holiday and Georgetown came up as nearby on my Trailforks. Never ridden there but heard lots, and heard it's good, so figured I'd ask the experts.. Looking for any beta pertaining to trail conditions after the rain and wind, etc.. Alternatives to that area would also be great.. I need some time on trail..

Any takers on a ride later tomorrow, Monday 12/23 or Tuesday 12/24 would be even better.

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
Might be wet

Old thread, just ain't dead.. I'm in the Gold country for a few days over the holiday and Georgetown came up as nearby on my Trailforks. Never ridden there but heard lots, and heard it's good, so figured I'd ask the experts.. Looking for any beta pertaining to trail conditions after the rain and wind, etc.. Alternatives to that area would also be great.. I need some time on trail..

Any takers on a ride later tomorrow, Monday 12/23 or Tuesday 12/24 would be even better.
Georgetown might be closed if weather comes in. Looks like day after xmas/weekend is the best ride window. Check out Cal Expeditions for info. I'm looking to meet some friends up there sat/sunday.

Attachments

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
Does anyone know the Gtown conditions right now as far as downed trees and what not? Anything to avoid?
Contact Cali Expeditions I'm assuming they know conditions and they say good to go for Sunday even tho weather is CV coming in earlier than expected.....

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,314 Posts
Jmac should totally win the prize for biggest proponent of CA-EXP on MTBR.. You da man, JMac.. I regret missing the chance to ride when I was in the area. Bad

Myself, being one whom was raised in the bicycle industry, and know a thing or two, would be remiss to not plug CaliFORNIA Expeditions, even without having visited..

From my research, California Expeditions is a 5-star outfit based in Georgetown, CALIFORNIA that offers a wide range of services from: trail insight to shuttles and special events during all-four-seasons.

Their website, you know, for the not-knowing, like myself is..

Home

Can't wait to get up to G-Town and see all that area has to offer next time I am in the area. I'm glad this thread went the way it did! Stoked to come ride Georgetown

·
NedwannaB
12,770 Posts
Jmac should totally win the prize for biggest proponent of CA-EXP on MTBR.. You da man, JMac.. I regret missing the chance to ride when I was in the area. Bad

Myself, being one whom was raised in the bicycle industry, and know a thing or two, would be remiss to not plug CaliFORNIA Expeditions, even without having visited..

From my research, California Expeditions is a 5-star outfit based in Georgetown, CALIFORNIA that offers a wide range of services from: trail insight to shuttles and special events during all-four-seasons.

Their website, you know, for the not-knowing, like myself is..

Home

Can't wait to get up to G-Town and see all that area has to offer next time I am in the area. I'm glad this thread went the way it did! Stoked to come ride Georgetown
Gee gosh.....guess I have to make it up there on Sundays shuttle now!🙄....

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,366 Posts
Buddy and I went up there today. First time for me. $55 for a full day of shuttles on some fast, rowdy trails. Totally worth it, but definitely not a beginner trail network. Lots of places where you can run into trouble real quick.

We ended up with 7 or 8 shuttle runs. I'm cooked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts