Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real quick question about switching out some parts on my bike. I have emailed Transition and havent got any info back from them yet, but it will hopefully come in a few days.

I ride a 2006 Transition Gran Mal, currently I am running an 06 888rc2x, set at 170mm, and I have the standard fox 5.0 on the rear set at 8.75" which is stock from transition.

I have decided to acquire a new 07 Fox 36 Talas RC2 which at it's maximum setting is 160mm.

My question is, how different is she going to handle with the 10mm less in the front? And can I, with the shock I have now, cut down the travel in the rear if needed.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

cmb

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
this might not help but when i was talking to a guy at LBS he was saying somthing about the gran mal being off balanced with anything less that 7 inches up front.. i dont know for sure, he could also be full of it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well we will see, btw, I am keeping an 888 for the rarity of going to the mountains and riding full on downhill. This is just going to be for more all mountain-light freeride type of riding.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
I have the same frame (07'). I assume you have the DHX 5.0 which is the 9.5" x 3". Without changing shock you can do:

1. Move the rear linkage to the furthest hole to the rear. This will lower the bb height to the lowest setting.
2. Use the top shock mounting position which is the shorter travel.

That will put you at 6.6" of travel. That is about all you can do without changing shocks...

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
Try matching the axle to crown of the fox with your 888, if you can do it, it may give you an idea to what the fox will do to your geo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got the fork in and dropped the travel down in the back and it feels great, it actually rides very well in the lower travel position.

Before;

After;

Still holding on to an 888 for trips to lift accessed days, but I really like this set up right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.