Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has already been discussed in this thread.

Geoman - all Magicshine stuff sold out

But it seems like it deserves it's own thread. If you navigate from the ad on the right side of MTBR which takes you to this link

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_41

This statement is posted on the web site.

GeoManGear has temporarily discontinued sales of Magicshine lightsets due to our concerns regarding the quality of Magicshine's lithium-ion battery packs. We have determined that the Magicshine battery packs do not meet GeoManGear's high expectations regarding product performance and quality. We are working with the manufacturer to quickly resolve these issues and will begin selling Magicshine products again after we have obtained a high-quality battery pack for our customers.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I have had problems with the battery pack. It was probably only used 15 times and never run down very far. Sat over the summer went to use it this year and it only had about 1/2 the capacity. OBVIOUSLY I wasn't the only one with this problem.

GeoManGear did help me out with a good price on a new one, but it must be tremendously annoying for him to deal with.

So what brand/type of cells are places like Cygolite or Lupine using in their packs? With the price that JET wants for their packs, I'd rather replace el cheapo packs with new ones each year.... it would take 5 years of doing that to just get to the price of a high end OEM brand battery pack.

·
Goats Rule!
354 Posts
The Jet A-51 battery pack is $80, much less expensive than the packs for their older lights. I don't know if Jet's 1 year warranty extends to the battery pack too.

$80 is only what, $35 more than a magicshine battery? Seems pretty reasonable to me if they are using high quality cells, which they probably are. Cygolite battery packs are also reasonably priced.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've been using the Dinotte 4 cell endurance battery packs (left) on each of my Magichine 808 lightheads. Can't really tell by the low res image below but the Dinotte specs are identical to those of the Magicshine:

7.4V, 4400 mAh, 32.56WH

They retail @ US$70 each. It's been many months and many rides - so far so good.

You can DIY your own for substantially cheaper, i know a bunch on the forum have.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
gticlay said:
I have had problems with the battery pack. It was probably only used 15 times and never run down very far. Sat over the summer went to use it this year and it only had about 1/2 the capacity. OBVIOUSLY I wasn't the only one with this problem.

GeoManGear did help me out with a good price on a new one, but it must be tremendously annoying for him to deal with.

So what brand/type of cells are places like Cygolite or Lupine using in their packs? With the price that JET wants for their packs, I'd rather replace el cheapo packs with new ones each year.... it would take 5 years of doing that to just get to the price of a high end OEM brand battery pack.
Just curious, what battery pack did you have? Also which one did you get? I just picked one up from work and don't want to have issues with them. I have the small rectangular battery, not the water bottle shaped battery. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm in for

·
Registered
692 Posts
my51isfast said:
Just curious, what battery pack did you have? Also which one did you get? I just picked one up from work and don't want to have issues with them. I have the small rectangular battery, not the water bottle shaped battery. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm in for
They are the same thing. The cylindrical housing merely holds the battery pack.

I will add, I've only had an issue with 1 of the 2 MS battery packs holding their charge. The other one is still going strong. Both have been run and charged in the exact same manner since getting them. I run a dual setup on the bars so in terms of run times (always on high in unison) and charging frequency and duration (always 2 packs together), nothing has been done differently.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Chromagftw said:

I will add, I've only had an issue with 1 of the 2 MS battery packs holding their charge. The other one is still going strong. Both have been run and charged in the exact same manner since getting them. I run a dual setup on the bars so in terms of run times (always on high in unison) and charging frequency and duration (always 2 packs together), nothing has been done differently.
Same here - 2 packs, dipped for protection. 1 OK, one not OK.

·
ride for fun
414 Posts
Chromagftw said:
I've been using the Dinotte 4 cell endurance battery packs (left) on each of my Magichine 808 lightheads. Can't really tell by the low res image below but the Dinotte specs are identical to those of the Magicshine:

7.4V, 4400 mAh, 32.56WH

They retail @ US$70 each. It's been many months and many rides - so far so good.

You can DIY your own for substantially cheaper, i know a bunch on the forum have.
thats good info! what charger do you use?

·
Goats Rule!
354 Posts
New light vendor?

Light and Go now playing in a web browser near you. Hey! Look just below Geoman's ad to your right.

Looks like they're selling the new MS. I wonder if MS decided to stop selling to Geoman and go into the retail business for themselves. :eekster: Good luck dealing with Korea, HK, etc. for warranty returns.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
One of my batteries crapped out, but I assumed it was due to being stored frequently in hot conditions (Florida)

The light and batteries were purchased December of 2009.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,615 Posts
odtexas said:
Looks like the new player has a triple and a quad XPG in their line up.
Exciting times we live in.:thumbsup:
Wow, a triple for 119.90 and a quad for 149.90! Someone (besides me) buy one and let us know if its good. ;-)

·
Registered
689 Posts
The MS was a real good deal because GEO backed it up. How good of a deal is it if it needs new batteries after a year? And since the 900 lumen claim on the MS is way off, more like 600, then how good of a deal is it knowing the real output of the new 1400 lumen light might be 900 lumens.

Still seems like a good deal but I would NEVER ride w/ just 1 light from this manufacturer. Most of us ride w/ 2 lights though so prolly not an issue here but if you are on a budget then it would be an issue for me and probably anyone else riding w/ 1 light from these people.

We already know they way overstate the lumen output claim and have never changed that. How much confidence does that give you on replacing something in the 3 month warranty period. Forget it after the warranty expires.

However, innocent until proven guilty I guess so if someone buys, let us know your experiences.

MB

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Me too

gticlay said:
Same here - 2 packs, dipped for protection. 1 OK, one not OK.
Two packs, both dipped in Plasti-dip. I left one on the charger and forgot about it for a couple months. I went to use it, and it was stone dead. Not sure if it was because of cheap cells, or just leaving them to bake too long with minimal protection.

No biggie.

I just ordered two cells from dealextreme. I cut the connector off the dead battery, soldered up the new cells with the connector, wrapped it in electrical tape (as neatly as I could) and I just dipped them in two coats of Plasti-Dip. It's drying now in my garage. $10 for the cells, $7 for a can of Plasti-Dip. I still have to figure out how to attach a velcro strap to my helmet.

So now, I have a small light 2 cell battery for the helmet light, no loose cords, with 1.5 hours of runtime on high (I usually use low and medium) and the original 4 cell battery for the bar light.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Chromagftw said:

I guess I should have figured. A friend of mine actually has the one with the housing...didn't know you could open it...love MTBR for good info

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Geez...glad I didn't wait for Geoman's stock and I have one on the way from DealExtreme for less money and free shipping. Yes, I know I'm rolling the dice but most people I know with MS lights did not get them from Geoman and they have been fine. I'll run the battery packs til they die and DIY new one's as needed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I just re-tested the two magicshine lights I bought almost exactly a year ago. I tested them when they were new. One lasted 3:40 and the other 3:30. Now a year later they lasted 2:30 and 1:45 respectively. I bought the lights just to play with them and as loaner lights. The batteries have been charged a grand total of 5 times and were stored at 50% charge in a cool location. Truly terrible results.

Since I was testing, I did some of my DIY lights/packs at the same time. A 5 year old pack that has probably been cycled a 100 times lasted 3 hours (3:30 when new). A 1 year old pack with about 20 cycles lasted 3:40 (3:45 when new).

·
Registered
2 Posts
KingOfTheHill said:
Lig I wonder if MS decided to stop selling to Geoman and go into the retail business for themselves
I think, the main issue with MS Li Ion battery is, that MS did not have UN38.3 test passed, and as so, can not be shipped with air transport to US.
Clarification from Batteryspace:
http://www.batteryspace.com/faq.aspx

There are also new US shipping regulations for Lithium Ion batteries, that significantly increase shipping cost:
http://www.batteryspace.com/faq-shipping.aspx
Currently the only option for Geoman to receive MS batteries - ship them as Class 9 Haz Mat shipment wih ground/sea transport - it significantly increase overall cost and delivery time

1 - 20 of 192 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.