Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of old school, I remember before desktop computers and gps. Now geocaching wtf?

They have a movie comming out about it (splinterheads). Anyways, I just got some info from a state park and they're allowing geocaching.

are you for or against geocaching. i have a busted edge 305 and a foreunner 405. is ther a place for geocaching in the mtb or trail runners world? I'm interested but to me it sounds like a gimmick

·
since 4/10/2009
33,362 Posts
LOL...a gimmick? What rock have you been living under since, oh, 2000? Geocaching is not a gimmick, and many GPSes are built for it nowadays. You could say that in some respects, geocachers drive the handheld GPS market. There are even multiple sites that offer geocache listings, and geocaching is far from the only gps-enabled game.

I participate some. I might search for a couple caches a year. I have a few containers waiting for a good spot to hide them.

Your fitness GPSes might work, but you'll find yourself doing more work, and quite likely carrying paper printouts that include hints if you have trouble.

At this point, being 'for or against geocaching' is a moot point. It's EVERYWHERE, including wal-mart parking lots. It's not exactly going away anytime soon. Rather, it's a question of whether you choose to do it or not, or how you view the effects on the landscape of certain caches (and whether you're willing to do anything about it).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
including wal-mart parking lots
Actually boughgt my edge 305 at walmat, but if i recall correctly it was an online only item.

i get info second often by watching csi, i found out about cougars, anyway the csi info i take w/ a grain of salt

whether i partiipte or not, if they're putting these geocaches in state or national or county parks, this should definately be moniter and I think I'm basically against it. i don't watch amazing race on tv, its been out a long time, but i am more of a csi type of a guy,

i feel state parks and national county parks should be rid of that crap.

i was pissed today i went running in a mountain preserve and some body piles rocks on top of each other almost like a scultpure, but then one spot they moved all the rocks and crossed the trail

we had a nother guy that spray painted all over a state park for his pidly trail run race (50k ok not pidly), now there's f-in orange flourescent paint all over the joint. the day of the event i was up there and he asked me to do the race for 30 bux, what a p.o.s.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,362 Posts
jkmacman said:
Actually boughgt my edge 305 at walmat, but if i recall correctly it was an online only item.

i get info second often by watching csi, i found out about cougars, anyway the csi info i take w/ a grain of salt

whether i partiipte or not, if they're putting these geocaches in state or national or county parks, this should definately be moniter and I think I'm basically against it. i don't watch amazing race on tv, its been out a long time, but i am more of a csi type of a guy,

i feel state parks and national county parks should be rid of that crap.

i was pissed today i went running in a mountain preserve and some body piles rocks on top of each other almost like a scultpure, but then one spot they moved all the rocks and crossed the trail

we had a nother guy that spray painted all over a state park for his pidly trail run race (50k ok not pidly), now there's f-in orange flourescent paint all over the joint. the day of the event i was up there and he asked me to do the race for 30 bux, what a p.o.s.
Dude you've got some issues you need to sort out. Legality of geocaches is pretty well-defined in most places. In the US, they are not permitted in national parks. Within other public lands, the policies vary according to local regulations, but frequently there is a permitting system required. At minimum, verbal permission is required. Laws vary from country to country, so I do not know the ones elsewhere. You will have to find out on your own.

I really don't have a clue why you're talking about tv shows. That's really not relevant here. I can almost guarantee that if you've never looked for a geocache before, you've never seen evidence of one. Most geocaches that are "accidentally" found are in urban environments. A lot of them get detonated by bomb squads for practice. People who hide geocaches PURPOSELY try to HIDE them, especially from people who do not participate in the game. Some are even in plain sight, but you'd never know it since they are so well-disguised.

I also have no idea why you're talking about someone spraypainting markers for a trail run race in this discussion. Also not remotely relevant.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have no idea why you're talking about someone spraypainting markers for a trail run race in this discussion. Also not remotely relevant.
because where do you draw the line what's allowed or what's not allowed.

i like the woods left untouched w/o spray paint or geo caches.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,362 Posts
jkmacman said:
because where do you draw the line what's allowed or what's not allowed.

i like the woods left untouched w/o spray paint or geo caches.
So you've never seen a geocache, but you're now firmly against them? Just the idea of them repulses you?

If you want to draw connections, make analogies, and things like that you need to express that. Otherwise, it looks like brain diarrhea on the website.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want to draw connections, make analogies, and things like that you need to express that. Otherwise, it looks like brain diarrhea on the website.
just because i'm against the geo cache doesnt make it diarrea.

It needs to be monitored, or soon, every time you buy a happy meal or super size your burger, you'll get a geo cache ad, go look for the geo cache and get your free burger,

before you know it the geo cache's will be littering the landscape, that's why i don't buy into it

let it be on paid land, where the geocasher pays money to store the geo cache. that i am in favor of, not harboring stuff on the down lo

·
since 4/10/2009
33,362 Posts
jkmacman said:

It needs to be monitored, or soon, every time you buy a happy meal or super size your burger, you'll get a geo cache ad, go look for the geo cache and get your free burger,

before you know it the geo cache's will be littering the landscape, that's why i don't buy into it

let it be on paid land, where the geocasher pays money to store the geo cache. that i am in favor of, not harboring stuff on the down lo
No, what makes it diarrhea is that your thoughts are not linked and you don't make sense half the time.

Geocaching is monitored. Cracker Barrel restaurants, for example, put a blanket ban on caches at their restaurants a few years ago. Many places that require permits for placing a cache require a fee for that permit. Some places just throw the thing in the garbage if they don't want it there. Others file lawsuits against the person who placed it.

There are restrictions on the largest geocaching site for how closely one cache may be placed to another. If a cache violates that rule, it will not be listed. Period. Some places already have quite the density of geocaches (approaching the maximum allowable). But you wouldn't know it.

My major problem with you in this discussion is that you clearly have not remotely educated yourself on the topic, yet you seem to have magically developed opinions based on your own ideas of how the game is played, rather than the reality of how the game is played. Some geocaches don't have containers at all...did you know that? I bet not. What would you say about them? They still generate foot traffic to the area, but they just don't have a container (which could be anything the size of the tip of my little finger on up to something big enough to put a person into).

What about summit registers on the tops of mountain peaks? Or caches of emergency supplies? Or water caches? All of these are commonly used by other outdoor recreationists. These are also MUCH, MUCH older than the geocache concept (although geocaching developed from these ideas), and are widely accepted in the outdoor community. How do you address these, also?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I am "for geocaching."

G

·
Geocaching is pretty popular around here. Just saw a feature on PBS about it.
If it gets people off their butts and outside walking around; I don't see much wrong with that.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
NateHawk said:
....What rock have you been living under since, oh, 2000?
hahahaha!
you got the coords?
he's quite a cache!

seriously tho dude? spraypaint? tv shows? WTF are you talking about???
are you against time-capsules too, how about ancient ruins, fossils?
get a clue

·
Registered
172 Posts
jkmacman said:

Are you high? Really, you are that worried about geo cache ads? I wish I lived in your world where that was all I had to worry about.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it gets people off their butts and outside walking around; I don't see much wrong with that.
this makes sense.

I for that, but also term limits. you gotta find the thing in x amount of time, or its removed, perhaps by a service, that's prepaid by a bond.

·
Masher
530 Posts
Let me put it to you this way: You're a moron. Geocaching doesn't involve spray paint or television, and I'll bet you've walked/ridden/driven by hundreds of them and never knew they were there. It's a box filled with kids goodies that is well hidden, and doesn't hurt anything to sit hidden for years. Get a clue, and stop watching tv.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
When I was injured a couple years back and could not ride my mountain bike, I rode the cross bike to find benchmarks, another type of geocaching. It was fun to hunt them down with the GPS and more entertaining to me than a regular road ride, plus I forget the pain in my shoulders in the thrill of the hunt. Kinda like a CSI investigation (except I have no TV). ;)

Good luck getting the United States Geological Survey to remove those. Most are embedded in bridge abutments, cemented into rocks on hill tops,cripes one is cemented into a massive corner stone on the courthouse in town. :rolleyes:

There is a Benchmark Hunting forum at GroundSpeak forums. Some guys are hunting benchmarks that are well over 100 years old. Amazing stories, since the development and building has changed the landscape so much. The hard core guys go out with safety vests, hard hats, clip boards, and safety cones so they look legit in dicey places, highway medians, or old warehouses under bridges! There are even stories of run ins with homeland security folks, hiliarious, when you know they just want to look at an old corroded brass disc. :thumbsup:

Ok, sounds like too many folks having fun with a GPS, we better outlaw it!

·
Registered
468 Posts
As and avid geocacher, both seeker and hider, i can tell you that we do monitor caches and you have to have permission to place a cache and they are virtually undetectable unless you are looking for them. Geocachers basically do their best to take care of natural areas. This is kind of like railing against MTBers because you think they are going to desecrate every park out there...ummmm...I may have just contributed to a troll thread...

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I just don't like it bringing creepy people into the woods.

Ok let me explain. The 1st time I ran into the term geocaching was several years ago when I was searching online just to see if there was info on a local park I hike through regularly. Well I find an online geocaching forum with a thread about a cache in this specific park and read a post where the poster is basically talking about how he was hiding in the woods near the cache and watching the "muggles" (people like me) walking on the trails. Reading further I find that many of the geocachers like to refer to non-geocachers as muggles, and that geocaching basically consists of putting some type of container in the woods somewhere and placing trinkets in it, and then posting the coordinates online. When someone finds the cache, they can take a trinket and leave one of there own.

Now this sounds like fun for the kids, but way too nerdy for adults.

I do like the idea of hunting benchmarks though (mentioned in slocaus's post). I recall finding a border marker (marking the Canada/US border) while canoeing in the Boundary Waters wilderness area years ago. These things can literally be in the middle of nowhere, and it's kind of cool to think that many years ago someone had to figure out where to put this thing (without the use of GPS) and then haul some concrete and a metal marker up there.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,362 Posts
Eh, geocaches can be all over. Most frequently, they're in cities.

I don't trade for the silly kiddy toys in them. I search just so I can find them and write in the logbook. Some have non-kiddy stuff in them, but I almost never have anything to trade so I don't bother. I do move travel bugs and geocoins, because I like to track their progress around the world. I 'own' two travel bugs. One of them has now crossed this country twice. Another one has been mucking around in Germany for the past year or two.

I've hunted for some that are nearly impossible to find. One in Pittsburgh got 3 different visits and I STILL couldn't find it. I think the term 'muggle' is funny. If you think, it fits perfectly with the idea it is trying to convey, because when you're searching for one, you need to mask your own behavior so you don't tip off the general public to the location of the geocache.

I for that, but also term limits. you gotta find the thing in x amount of time, or its removed, perhaps by a service, that's prepaid by a bond.
Are you as dumb as you sound? If you've done ANY research on your own, you'd know that caches that are not maintained by the 'owner' get delisted and often get thrown out with the garbage. They're not just chucked into the woods like garbage and then left on their own. Owners have to maintain the container and the logbook, and clean out the garbage that inevitably shows up over time in and around the container. If a cache owner fails this, the cache gets removed when it falls into disrepair.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts