Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you geocach while Mountain biking?

• Nope! I only mountain bike

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Plan to geocach while biking, but end up only riding

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Geocach while biking (sometimes)

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Geocach while biking (most of the time)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I only ride when I'm going out for a cach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geocach only (what are you doing on this page?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are people on here that do both. But how many do both at the same time.
I've been biking for years. But geocaching only for about a year, on & off. Haven't looked for one in a while. With the exception of a family rails-to-trails ride, I've never went cashing while riding.
But last weekend I went on a ride at a location I haven't been to in years and probably won't go back for a while. Looked at the cashes along the planned ride and loaded them in my GPS in plans to find them while out for a pleasure/scenic fall ride. As I'm heading down the trail towards the 1st cach, I flatted and after I fixed the flat I realized I was within 50' of the 1st cash. What do I do? I say the hell with it and think I just stopped and want to get rolling again. I'll find the next one. Then as the ride goes on I pass them all up. Once again an attempt to find some remote caches while riding failed. I think that goes to show I enjoy MTBing more the geocaching.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've done it, only occasionally. Sometimes helpful when you are going to a waaaaaaay out of the way place that you suspect has something cool (because a lot of time geocachers place their caches in cool places that are off the beaten path). You navigate to the geocache, and there you are! ...someplace cool. Found Butch Cassidy's hideout shack this way too.

Not Butch Cassidy's, but an old house near a small long abandonded mining town.

Vegetation Cloud Plant community Ecoregion Shrubland

·
DILLIGAF
506 Posts
Is there a geocache android app?
I use Geobeagle, it works pretty good.

We have used our bikes to hit multiple caches around our small town. We will map our route based on what caches look cool and make a day of it. My son is 9 and we have taken a few of his friends with us, all of them still talk about it and are eager to do it again.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Always wanted to do a ride and cache, but the time available for a ride usually negates any chance of bumbling around in the brush looking for GZ. With 60 min to sneak a ride in I don't want to spend 10 off the bike if I don't have to.

I regularly pass within 0.2mi of 5+ caches on my local loop but have never attempted to stop. What I need to do is say, I'm going caching today and my vehicle of choice is the bike. Have planned a road ride once that hit 3 caches. Most of the time we go caching is with the whole family and they don't typically ride the trails so we go by car to C&D.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,273 Posts
I have done this on a couple of occasions. I tend to prefer hunting caches in the woods, and sometimes when visiting new trails, I will see what caches are nearby. I don't do this often, though. I've had an account since 2003, but have only found 98 caches to date. I usually hunt for them on road trips and vacations.

Even though I've only done it a couple of times, I have actually found a decent proportion of them by biking, because that allows me to travel quickly between caches in the woods. I can recall more than a dozen in the town where I live now that were found this way, and maybe about a dozen more scattered across a couple states that I found this way, even though I have far more hiking trips where I've found caches (oftentimes just 1 or 2 per hiking trip), and more road trips where I've found caches (also oftentimes just 1 or 2 per trip).

·
3 Legged Big Top
639 Posts
I have sought out quite a few caches while biking. I usually load a few new caches for each area I plan to ride. A couple times my riding partners have been surprised by the findings. Now they ask pretty regularly "Are there any caches around here we can find"? I hand them the GPS and off they go. I always take a Travel Bug to drop on long remote rides, just recently placed one on the Monarch Crest.

On one trip my buddy says" Man C that tree would be a sweet place to hide one of those geocache thingys", he looks in for a spot and finds a cache without a gps.

C

·
Registered
49 Posts
c:geo is a great android app and works great. The GPS on most phones is generally not close enough to find well hidden caches or ones in tree covered areas.

Never think about it ahead of time, but I think about it when I am riding in a cool area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I discovered Geocaching in 2009 and later stopped until recently. Now my wife and I (along with several friends) really have the geocaching bug. I get out at least once a week to cache, that often involved biking as well. It's a great hobby and I've found that we have discovered some wonderful places right in our own back yard that we never would have discovered if not for caching.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, the results are about what I expected to see. I think what it comes down to with me is that I would like to find some caches in remote locations that I would only get to by bike. But while riding I enjoy it too much to stop. I like the workout it gives me and hate to cool down while riding. Besides I started caching with the family and I think I like it that way. It gives us something to do together so that we can enjoy some family time. We have been thinking of going out and searching for a few when we get time (or make time) to do it. IDK.....there's something fun about searching for a rubbermaid container using multimillion dollar satellites.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Geocache with son

Just recently starting Geocaching with my 7 yr old son. We have used our bikes the last two times, mainly to extend his range and to get a ride in with him. It is great fun and he treats them like secret missions. Also, it gets him outside to appreciate nature and participate in an active outdoors activity.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just recently starting Geocaching with my 7 yr old son. We have used our bikes the last two times, mainly to extend his range and to get a ride in with him. It is great fun and he treats them like secret missions. Also, it gets him outside to appreciate nature and participate in an active outdoors activity.
I love seeing young kids out on bikes. I have a 8yr old and it's like pulling teeth to get him away from the toons to go out and play, let alone ride a bike. But I have got him on some rails-to-trails a few times. Thing that gets me is that most of the time he enjoys the hell out of it when I finally get him out there. He enjoys it even more when I get him on an easy singletrack trail. I keep hoping one of these days he will go biking with me by his choice. Anyway back to the point. The distance is the reason I would like to use the bike while caching but like I said before I can't force myself to stop while riding. But if the family would go with me I think that would easily change. We have a local rail trail that is littered with some cashes and I'm trying to get them (wife & kid) out to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.