Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there much love out there for the Scott Genius? I am looking at buying a 2019 920 and have done a bunch of searches here and on the web and while there are a few review and stuff they don't seem to get mentioned on the forums very much. Especially for a bike that has been around for so long.

This is my first full sus frame in many years (apart from a Voodoo Canzo I had for a while). My current ride is singlespeed a Carver Gnarvester with an MRP stage fork.

I guess I am worried that I am getting too much bike with the Genius coming from a hardtail. The trails I ride each week are flat and twisty with some short climbs and rocky descents but a few times a year I get to go to some more challenging trails with long climbs and fast technical descents. I do enjoy climbing and from what I have read this is one of the best climbing trail bikes. I am not a big air guy. Just a trail rider.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I love my Genius! I've had it for about 6 months now. Previously had a 2018 trek fuel ex and 2017 Specialized Stumpjumper. Once I got use to the twinloc I think the Genius climbs and descends better than either out those bikes did. The tune on the fox nude shock is excellent and the ramp control makes a big difference.

I'm currently on a 900 tuned but the 920 comes with the same rear shock and a similar fork. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions for you.

Oh also I think review are low this year because it's the same geo as last year and reviewers are going to get sent the newest models (ransom)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Genius is great!

Had a 2018 Genius 920, so I’ll be happy to answer any specific questions as well. What I can say is that the suspension setup is absolutely fantastic. Even with the 34 Performance, it performs really well. The GX Eagle was also faultless during my ownership and the same goes for the SLX brakes.

The only thing I can say is that the Genius is quite a big bike with the 29” wheels. It climbs really well (especially in the 110mm setting, really enjoy this feature which essentially turns it into a Spark) and rolls over everything, but can feel like a big bike in technical, tight turns and climbs. I was coming from a previous gen Genius, so your experience may be different. Maybe compare it to the Spark 920 if you’re unsure.

I liked the Genius so much in fact, that I upgraded to the Genius Tuned and in the meantime switched to the 27.5” setup. I’m happier on 27.5” wheels, but that’s the part of the beauty with the Genius - you can run whatever you choose.

The 920 model is definitely the “value-for-money” model. It’s a great choice!

·
Registered
146 Posts
So coming off an evil V1 following I’m pretty stoked on getting my new genius 910.
I demoed a genius 900 tune and also a ransom 900 both 2019 models and to tell you the truth I just thought the genius was a little bit more playful And still went through some pretty heavy chunk. I’m also kind of surprised why there isn’t more chatter about the genius on these forums?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey rusty_ss. Been meaning to reply to this. Been so long since I posted I couldn't log in! Anyway, I have a 2019 Genius Tuned. I was not coming from a hardtail, but from an Ibis Ripley. The Ibis was a razor sharp handling bike, and my medium was weighing around 25.5lbs with pedals. I will say that as much as I LOVE the Genius, I am not climbing like I did on the Ibis. Much of this can be attributable to the weight. The Genius is a solid 2.5lbs heavier. However, as an overall Trail Bike, the Genius is far superior. It absolutely flies downhill, and is a much more capable bike than I could ever handle. I'm 47 years old, and have been riding for a long time. However, I do not launch off things. I was just getting tired of the Ibis getting overmatched on the technical, rocky trails here in New England. The Genius handles it all. It's not as agile as I hoped it would be...especially on tight, technical trails, but I'm adapting my riding style to it and have to say... small price to pay. Also, I am sold on Twinlock. That middle 120mm setting firms up the suspension in such a way that it actually reminds me of the Ripley when things get fun and flowy. I'd say think about how you ride, and where you ride before taking the leap!

·
Registered
936 Posts
I love my Genius! I've had it for about 6 months now. Previously had a 2018 trek fuel ex and 2017 Specialized Stumpjumper. Once I got use to the twinloc I think the Genius climbs and descends better than either out those bikes did. The tune on the fox nude shock is excellent and the ramp control makes a big difference.

I'm currently on a 900 tuned but the 920 comes with the same rear shock and a similar fork. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions for you.

Oh also I think review are low this year because it's the same geo as last year and reviewers are going to get sent the newest models (ransom)
Hi bballboy388 I currently own a 2018 fuel ex 9.8 which I love but was hoping to get something more capable for riding steep, technical and chunky stuff. Was initially waiting for the 2020 Fuel EX but that's disappointingly still only 130mm travel. I was then thinking Trek Slash 8 but the the Genius caught my eye. I want something that climbs well but is capable of Enduro downhills.

How are you finding your Genius compared to the Fuel ex?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I’ve been racing XC and endurance for years and with that I was always riding 100mm, super light race bikes or even HT. This year I decided I wanted to have more fun and maybe try some Enduro racing (which i did). I had a huge struggle deciding between the Genius vs the Ransom. There’s so much buzz about the Ransom and how awesome it, but ultimately I decided it was too much bike for what I wanted to do and went with the Genius. Both are great bikes but I love the Genius. In fact I rarely ride my xc bike anymore. I ended up selling my 2019 Genius to get the new 2020 Genius Tuned b/c it has AXS, Fox 36 and carbon wheels....and because i have a bit of a bike addiction 😆.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a huge struggle deciding between the Genius vs the Ransom. There's so much buzz about the Ransom and how awesome it, but ultimately I decided it was too much bike for what I wanted to do and went with the Genius.
Same here. Were you able to test-ride the Ransom? I am really curious to hear the exact advantages of Genius over Ransom from riders who experienced both. From what I see, once you put the same wheel+tires on, the weight difference is rather negligible.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi bballboyl.p.388 I currently own a 2018 fuel ex 9.8 which I love but was hoping to get something more capable for riding steep, technical and chunky stuff. Was initially waiting for the 2020 Fuel EX but that's disappointingly still only 130mm travel. I was then thinking Trek Slash 8 but the the Genius caught my eye. I want something that climbs well but is capable of Enduro downhills.

How are you finding your Genius compared to the Fuel ex?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
From what your saying about getting more comfortable in steep stuff but still climb well I'd look Ransom. Only reason I went Genius over Ransom was my local trails are really more ideal for a trail bike.

You asked how it compares to the fuel. Descending it is more composed than the fuel was and climbing it's feels more efficent. I've also had significantly less pedal strikes and I use the twin loc a lot more than I thought I would. If my local trails were steeper I'd be all over the Ransom.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
FWIW I ride big back country epics all the time on my Ransom, and my favorite part of riding is steep, gnarly tech climbing and it works well for me. Back country trails can be surprisingly gnarly sometimes too so I appreciate the big bike. And of course its great for enduro racing etc and all that.

That being said, I imagine the Genius is every bit as great as the Ransom but a little bit sprightlier. I mean geez its still a 150 bike yeah ? That was revolutionary travel in a '9er only 5 years ago. My buddies and I are always pushing each other and riding competitively up and down so I wouldn't be riding it if I felt it was dragging me down on the uphills.

So just like the other guy said, Genius is probably better if you don't have much gnar around but man its nice to be able to rock & roll no matter what you're riding.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Is there much love out there for the Scott Genius? I am looking at buying a 2019 920 and have done a bunch of searches here and on the web and while there are a few review and stuff they don't seem to get mentioned on the forums very much. Especially for a bike that has been around for so long.

This is my first full sus frame in many years (apart from a Voodoo Canzo I had for a while). My current ride is singlespeed a Carver Gnarvester with an MRP stage fork.

I guess I am worried that I am getting too much bike with the Genius coming from a hardtail. The trails I ride each week are flat and twisty with some short climbs and rocky descents but a few times a year I get to go to some more challenging trails with long climbs and fast technical descents. I do enjoy climbing and from what I have read this is one of the best climbing trail bikes. I am not a big air guy. Just a trail rider.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
The answer is simple: Yes, the Genius is too much bike for the trails you ride most. But that's not going to stop anyone from getting the bike they really want most. I see people riding big travel bikes all the time on XC trails. It would make more sense for you to look into an XC/trail bike like the Scott Spark (if you're keen on the Scott brand)

However, if you do buy a Genius then it may open doors to get out to other trails where it would make more sense to ride a bike like the Genius.

I own the Scott Genius and it's still my favorite bike.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Same here. Were you able to test-ride the Ransom? I am really curious to hear the exact advantages of Genius over Ransom from riders who experienced both. From what I see, once you put the same wheel+tires on, the weight difference is rather negligible.
Are we talking top of the line carbon models? Tack on the same wheels and tires and the Genius will always come out much lighter. Heavier frame and heavier fork.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Let's not forget before the Ransom was released the Scott Enduro team were riding the Scott Genius model. I'm pretty sure the trails they were racing on were pretty gnar.

That Genius can hang with it's bigger brother :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are we talking top of the line carbon models? Tack on the same wheels and tires and the Genius will always come out much lighter. Heavier frame and heavier fork.
Yes, I am comparing the 900 Tuned models. If I did my calculations right, once you put on the same wheel/tire and swap the 34 fork with 36 on the Genius, the difference comes down to 400g.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yes, I am comparing the 900 Tuned models. If I did my calculations right, once you put on the same wheel/tire and swap the 34 fork with 36 on the Genius, the difference comes down to 400g.
400g is a lot buddy. You save almost a pound of weight. I consider half a pound or more to be significant. You won't notice the difference automatically but it makes a difference on longer rides or when you're hitting back to back climbs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.