Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Manitou R-7 Super, after riding fully rigid for a long time. I don't really know much about fork maintenance, setting it for my weight/riding style, changing air pressure, stuff like that. Simple things like, "can I use a regular tire pump to change pressure", "what pressure is optimal for my weight", "do I need a different spring kit", etc. I weigh 145, and ride pretty much XC only. No big drops (unless I'm picking a line down them) or jumps.

Anyone with the R-7 and same weight out there have any suggestions?

Thanks,

andy

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
aberry242 said:
I just bought a Manitou R-7 Super, after riding fully rigid for a long time. I don't really know much about fork maintenance, setting it for my weight/riding style, changing air pressure, stuff like that. Simple things like, "can I use a regular tire pump to change pressure", "what pressure is optimal for my weight", "do I need a different spring kit", etc. I weigh 145, and ride pretty much XC only. No big drops (unless I'm picking a line down them) or jumps.

Thanks,

andy
I don't have a R7 but I know most Manitou forks quite well. You don't actually give details about your fork such as how much travel it has. There is no rule for rider weight. You need to set the fork's "sag". That is how much it compresses when you sit on the bike in your riding position. It's like bending your legs when you ski. The wheel needs to move up and down with the terrain. For an 80mm. fork sag should be 12-16mm. and for a 100mm. fork, 15-20mm. It is an air spring and there is no "spring kit". You can check sag by putting a cable tie loosely on the stanchion (upper leg) sit on the bike, get of gently so not to bob and measure how much the fork leg "goes in" with your weight.

You need a shock pump. Even at your weight you probably will need about 80psi. You can get a good one for about $30.

The other thing you need to set is the rebound speed. There should be a blue knob at the bottom of the right leg. It controls how fast the fork springs back or rebounds. If the fork feels like a pogo stick you need to slow it down. If it seems to skip from bump to bump you need to speed it up. You want to keep the wheel on the ground as much as possible.

There is not much maintenance you need to worry about right now. Just keep it clean, especially around the oil seals and stanchions. Also check your air pressure every few weeks. Don't be scared to experiment and find what feels best for you. The only thing you don't want to do is let it bottom out harshly on impact. You could cause damage.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Try the Answer Products website

aberry242 said:

Thanks,

andy
Ronnie gave you some good advice in his post. In addition, I would suggest that you visit the Answer Products web site:

http://www.answerproducts.com/home.asp?cvar1=1%2F17%2F2007+6%3A20%3A46+PM

Click on the "Tech Support" link at the very top of the page and download the Product Manual and Service Guide for your R7. The Service Guide contains detailed information on how to service your fork, as well as other specifications. The Product Manual should have set up instructions. If you cannot locate the specific R7 Product Manual, download the 2006 All Forks Manual -- which contains information on all current Manitou forks.

It appears that there is some sort of a small, negative spring in some models of the R7. You may be able to purchase a different weight spring to adjust your ride qualities.

Finally, for an awsome set of pictorial instructions, go here: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id10.html Chris Streeter (the man behind Enduro Fork Seals / Real World Cycling) is a super guy who has put together some terrific instructions. Everything he sells on his web site is top notch as well. :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.