Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite no damage, I have had the orig. Easton Monkey Lite CT2 Carbon bars for, maybe, the last 5 years. I have the 3/4" rise cross country bars. I have used them for trail riding only. They have no visible scars from brake lever installs, etc. but I was wondering...When is it appropriate to replace them? I have read that they usually give up in a catastrophic kind of way as opposed to bending as an alum. bar would do. I love the bar (maybe would go just a touch wider and maybe a 1" rise next time) but wondered on the opinions out there.
Thanks!

· Banned
683 Posts
Eastcoaster said:
Despite no damage, I have had the orig. Easton Monkey Lite CT2 Carbon bars for, maybe, the last 5 years. I have the 3/4" rise cross country bars. I have used them for trail riding only. They have no visible scars from brake lever installs, etc. but I was wondering...When is it appropriate to replace them? I have read that they usually give up in a catastrophic kind of way as opposed to bending as an alum. bar would do. I love the bar (maybe would go just a touch wider and maybe a 1" rise next time) but wondered on the opinions out there.
Thanks!
Man...I have the same bars and love them. But now I am scared...I like to go fast and would hate for them to break as you describe.

· Registered
162 Posts
The only way carbon is going to "wear out" over time is if it is subjected to UV rays for a LOOOOOONG time. If the bar is discolored it is a sign that the epoxy is breaking down and weakening from UV exposure. Peel one of the grips back and compare the color of the bar under the grip to the color of the bar in an exposed area. If the exposed area of the bar is noticeably different in color you have a problem. If not and there is no other mechanical damage you are fine to continue using the bar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.