Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just wondering, what are people's general opinion on Scott bikes? There doesnt seem to be a following for them like say Cannondale has, but they're a pretty big name and I was wondering what you diehard bikers thought.... Are they just re-stickered or just another generic brand? They initially looked a bit Sports-Mart-ish to me, but my LBS displays them proudly alongside cannondales and what not, so I won't dismiss them that fast. Any input ? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
I would kill a small animal for one of those $6000 hardtails or a large animal for one of those $8000 road bikes.

Frame weights of 2.14 pounds and 1.94 pounds respectively!

·
Registered
122 Posts
So, you don't get this funny sinking feeling when you see the competition on a Trek, Giant, Cannondale, or Specialized.

But, after getting toasted by Scott bikes, it leaves little doubt that when you see one, it is going past. I found that the most likely place to see one is zipping past going up a huge hill. You know, that hill that is big enough that you can't quite stand up all the way up it and steep enough to make you start swearing before you see the top? Right then--that's the most likely place to see a Scott on its way past.

They are great fun for Scott owners and quite annoying otherwise.

Of course I had to buy one. ;)
What else can you do?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Funny you compare Scott to Cannondale, since Scott's big guy in US marketing now is the Montgomery kid (son of the founder of, as well as former executive of...Cannondale; ousted during the bankruptcy/sale). Scott has been a major brand in Europe for years, even though based in Idaho.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have a Scott road bike. I work parttime for REI here in Idaho and we just started carrying Scott again when they re-entered the US market several years ago. Other than our store in Boise, the only other Scott dealer in the valley is World Cycle near my office. We carry a couple of their full carbon frame bikes, but they are priced so high ($2000+) that they just sit on the floor. We carry a couple of their low/mid range bikes and they do OK. It must be noted that the typical Boise REI bike shopper is not a high end buyer so I have no clue why we stock some of the CR1's.

I think some of the higher end Scott bikes are just gorgeous. Definately out of my price range though. While I love my low end road bike, man I do wish I would have gotten one of the better Speedsters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
To me, that sounds weird. Specialized scared of Scott?

I don't think that could be true because the Specialized bikes have similar performance to the Scott. Specialized does have weaker frames, but they offer more high-end (yet unnecessary) features at the same price points, such as carbon fiber in the tail and botique wheels.

Now, Raleigh should scare them both to pieces. Raleigh (Diamondback) offers the same geometry and specs at 2/3rds the price point. Performance is hit or miss, but when they hit, they hit hard, still at a price savings of about 30%. That's where they and Schwinn like to hit the hardest--the lower price points.
Raleigh's 105 road bike, 2/3rds the price of the Specialized Allez Triple Elite or the Scott Speedster 3 is one example. Diamondback's high performance hybrid, the very inexpensive Edgewood (a bike as capable of long distance riding as it is keeping up with road bikes or hitting the XC trail) ought to scare the pants off most bike manufacturers. Schwinn's $350 flat bar road bike beats the Trek Pilot by half the price, quite a few pounds, and a third higher performance (saving enough money for Sora shifters and a Shimano Octalink crankset with $200 and 11MPH to spare), while it also comes with high-end touring attachment (front and back) to compete with Trek's touring line at the same time (yeah, for $1200 less). That ought to be pretty frightening to bike manufacturers. Unfortunately, the old-school brand names frequently prevent more sales than they generate.

Yet, the Scott mountain bikes nearly stand alone in high-end performance. That shouldn't scare Specialized too bad because the high-end mountain bike is a very small market.

Where the Scott products are really frightening is if you're herding anything else up a hill towards the finish line and, Zip! a bike with those unmistakable 5 letters on the down tube goes silently, and oh-so-quickly past with no extra carbon, no botique wheels, and no explanation at all as to why this happens.

I got tired of seeing that, so I bought one.
And, the view is much better now.
It looks like a whole lot of Trek--all with the brakes dragging. ;)

Cannondale and especially Specialized will give a Scott a run for it, but Treks are toast. There's an exception to that. For some reason, the 54cm Treks will usually keep up, but the bigger ones will not. Any ideas there? Do little guys have that much more power or is there something different in the bikes?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Why do they have to have so many stickers on them? Makes them look as ugly as sin. Their hardtails are nice, but I don't like their quirky FS designs forcing you to use their own shocks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What's going on here is carbon fiber the way o fthe future????? As one said above me Scott's are in a class by themselves. But for me being 220lbs anything that is 1/10th my body weight going down a hill 40+mph with me on it is innovation. It's just preference in my opinion. Just like any onther bike company the market will saturated and the price for Scott's will go down and by then the major kinks will be ironed out and I'll be at my LBS purchasing a frame. I was currently looking around scouting the market for Scott frames $2750.00 new and 1500.00 used I even saw one on Ebay last week for a $1000.00 new (too good to be true) for some of these bikes out on the market today it's suprising the don't have a loan office at the LBS like when buy a car (0% financing available for 48mos) LOL. Scotts are awesome but WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of my price range right now.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
uktrailmonster said:
Why do they have to have so many stickers on them? Makes them look as ugly as sin. Their hardtails are nice, but I don't like their quirky FS designs forcing you to use their own shocks.
And all they have to do is come up with a $2 shield to remove the shock from the path of the debris from the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
People complain about their shocks being in the spray path of the rear tire. All Scott has to do is come up with a shock eyelet mounted shield and that effectively makes that point moot.
Ok, I was thinking more about being forced to use a proprietary Scott pull shock on the Genius etc. I think this is a major limitation.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, it is, after all, something very, very good that goes very, very fast.
And, it is tougher than most of its competition. For some reason, they don't avertise it.

When considering a new bike, I checked out a lot of friends bikes.

There were three results:
1) Specialized, fast, but usually a hairline crack somewhere
2) Slow (or Trek with their small=fast, large=slow and I ride a large)
3) Scott, big, fast, and strong

That made my decision pretty simple.

The Scott bikes have a certain old-school flair in both build and geometry. I'm not talking about the 90's headfirst geometry. No, I'm talking about a little less areo, "heads up" geometry. It doesn't seem to matter to the speed.

I've got two opinions on that:
1) Maybe a happier rider?
2) Charging over (with a slight jump) an obstacle or a whopping huge hill, is, for some reason, fun. Of course, you don't believe it, so you have to turn around and do it again just to be sure.

Scott didn't cheat on frame strength to make a fast bike.
Specialized does. A particularly good example is the Specialized Allez that is now painted silver (aluminum color) to match the cracks (Allez owners, check your head tubes, especially if you're using the over-long factory stem). This doesn't happen with the Scott Speedster (also equipped with double-strength forks), and the speeds and prices are roughly equal. Same story for the mountain bikes, if you compare similar priced bikes.

Maybe Scott's "threat" to the marketplace is:
1) High class speed, and
2) Comfort, without loss of speed, and
3) High durability, without loss of speed

All at once--as if you took a durable beater bike, the comfort of a Schwinn, and somehow added the speed of the Specialized products.

Is that it?

That's no threat to the marketplace. Consumers, in the United States, are way too blind to realize a combination of features. The United States is powered by a one single sought-after feature with as much added "bling" as possible. Eurpean customers are more demanding about combinations of features being on a single bike. No, Scott isn't taking over the U.S. anytime soon unless they increase the "bling" factor.

And, if you work for Scott, I don't mean stickers!!!
You guys are great and make great products, but please do not put anything on a bike that uses adhesive or decals--that is, except for the Scott name, and do please continue to make that as big as possible, just because it is fun for others to read as you pass.
Fancy paint is nice, as is spontaneous polished metal areas (forks? suspension? stays?). Stickers/decals are not nice. Yes, showy stuff is in direct conflict with the "utility" look of a mountain bike, but U.S. customers like the glitter (colored hubs, for instance) as well as useless areas of carbon fiber. Want to sell it here? Dress it up. If one manufacturer puts a totally useless carbon fiber knob somewhere, you've got to have one too. I hate to advise this, because I like my Scott just the way it is--simple, fearless, and fast. Also, not marketable in the U.S.

Hey, but if stickers are the only complaint. . . Well, that and not nearly enough "bling" in the mountain forks. ;) lol!

All of this has been "in my opinion"--because I tried it.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
uktrailmonster said:
Ok, I was thinking more about being forced to use a proprietary Scott pull shock on the Genius etc. I think this is a major limitation.
Yep, would never consider one for that reason alone. Same reason I would never consider a Foes.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Yep, would never consider one for that reason alone. Same reason I would never consider a Foes
while i understand what you mean, the curnutt is one of the main reasons i am cosidering a foes...

i don't know much about the scott shocks but the idea (i like the one on the ransom) is fantastic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.