Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One rigid and one Bluto equipped. They will have new Bontrager tubeless ready rims and Bontrager tires. Both 3.8's, one with 2x and one is X1. 15mm front and 12mm thru rear. $3150 and $1850.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Not having pulled the trigger on a fatty, my pants just tightened up a little bit. In stopping by the LBS last weekend, the owner did mention three models.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Yeah, that's a pretty big price drop between Gen 1 and Gen 2 Farley. I saw the Gen 1 Farley in a bike shop, and I thought it dead sexy. I wonder if there will be any other changes besides rims/tires?
Yeah Trek pretty much had to pay retail for the rims, tires, and hubs on the 1st gen which I'm sure helped to hike up the price. Now with sourcing their own bits it seems like it is bringing the price down.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah Trek pretty much had to pay retail for the rims, tires, and hubs on the 1st gen which I'm sure helped to hike up the price. Now with sourcing their own bits it seems like it is bringing the price down.
QBP is starting to sound a lot like specialized...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I stopped at my local Trek store this past weekend and saw the Farley 6 and Farley 8 on their Trek website.
The Farley 6 was rigid and black in color.
The Farley 8 was Bluto equipped and lime green in color.
They both had a release date in August.
They both are equipped with Tubeless ready Bontrager rims and Bontrager
Jackalope TLR tires.
But here is where the pics got strange the rims appeared to be radial laced ??? Maybe just a bad or early photo but the employee and I both did a double take.
On the other hand G-Ted said on his website(Mar 6, 2014 post)that his Trek source said the rim is a ".... pretty wild departure from anything "normal".
I guess we shall see.......
Sorry they would not let me take a pic of the screen I asked.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
According to those links above, the high end model will have different wheels completely. High end gets the Bontrager tubeless wheels, and the lower end model gets the Sun Ringle rims that are coming soon. Wonder what makes those Bontrager wheels so special, other than the "tubeless" design?

Also, the tires shown in the studio/cad pics shows a tire with the title Chupacabra written on the side, but the spec sheet says the tires are named Hodag. Likely just a name change between picture mock-ups and current information, I'd guess.

·
nothing to see here
3,279 Posts

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Real pic of Farley 8. Looks loads better than the artist's rendering imho. I didn't like the green at first, but it's grown on me after seeing the real thing. Still no actual pics of Farley 6 to be found. I'll probably still prefer the black and blue, but what I need is Bluto.

farley 8.jpg

·
Registered
629 Posts
Real pic of Farley 8. Looks loads better than the artist's rendering imho. I didn't like the green at first, but it's grown on me after seeing the real thing. Still no actual pics of Farley 6 to be found. I'll probably still prefer the black and blue, but I what I need is Bluto.

View attachment 895439
When I see that color green it reminds me of the late 80's in my youth. Santa Cruz Slasher, Slimeballs Wheels, and Slimer from Ghostbusters. Man I used to love that green!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
The rims are kinda cool, there is a deep extruded ridge sticking out of the center where the spoke holes are.
Yeah, I've been wondering why the Bonty wheels here on the Bluto model and the SunRingle on the rigid model. Wouldn't it be cheaper for Trek to use their own rims vs. going outside? Would like to hear more about those wheels.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi
First post here, been lurking a while trying to get my head around all this fat bike stuff so I can make my first purchase, very hard to get any fatbike info here in OZ
As an avid trek family (we have 6treks in the house hold ATM) when will trek bring this bike out in carbon?
Surely one of the big bike mobs will be working on a carbon fat bike with a bluto fork

Either way the farley isn't available here in Australia anyway!!!!!
Cheers
Ip

·
Registered
161 Posts
Will any of the Farleys ( gen 1 or gen 2) be able to accept 100mm front rims ? I have a 100mm front wheel and 80mm rear wheel with On One floaters that I like. Was hoping they might fit on a Trek Farley.
Thanks for info.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Works OK,I had Clownshoe and Bud combo for winter riding and just build a new rear wheel with leftover On One Rim/Floater to ready next snowseason.
Fork has been both Trek original and Jones.

In summertime i prefer kinda odd set up :
Front:Halo/Bud
Rear:Traialtec 47mm/Floater

1 - 20 of 28 Posts