Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

At the moment I have an 04 cannondale gemini 3000 in size L. I am really happy with the bike and love how it rides, but like many of us, i can only afford to have one bike. After lugging the 19.2 Kg or 42.3 lbs of the gemini around the trails, I've had enough. I really enjoy riding freeride, doing drops (12ft is my highest) but i also love riding trails with my buds. In the last 6 months my legs have turned into oak trees, which isn't a bad thing, but I am sick of the weight. Now, the problem i have is that i want a really versitile bike which can handle my type of riding and won't be a pain in the ass to ride longer distances with. Im 6 4" and the L size on the Gemini is extremely borderline. My answer was either to get a new Gemini in XL or checking out the SX Trail 1 in XL, that's where you guys come into play. First of all, what does it weigh, because if its the same I am not going to bother. Would an XL fit me, keep in mind i also want to ride long distances with it, and does it fit my criteria that i mentioned earlier?
I have also looked at taking a Cannondale prophet and putting a 66 SL up in front. My worries are that it will first of all void the warranty, and that the 170mm in front are going to overwhelm the mere 140mm in the back. If you have any thoughts on this issue as well, feel free to give your 2 cents.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am the same height as you, and I have ridden both bikes (not the Gemini 3000, but the 2000). The SX trail is lighter than 43 lbs. Large SX Trail (24.5 TT) works well for me. I think the XL may get a bit sluggish in the tighter trails because it is so long. Same thing with the XL Gemini. Maybe instead of a whole new bike, you should consider lightening the Gemini. Swap out the fork to a SC and run a longer stem when you are trail riding. The Gemini is an awfully nice bike, and an equipment swap will save you TONS of $$$. You'd be amazed at the difference a different stem can make in the feel of a bike.

Consider this : New SX trail II (The Trail 1 might be a component downgrade from what you already have) - $3800, you might get $2000 for the Gemini (I've seen new ones on e-bay for that or less). Total cost $1800.

New 66 RC2 $850 (why not go crazy, right) new stem $75; total cost $925

Thanks $875 left over for lighter tires and beer! (Even more if you go for a different fork.)

·
Fun-O-Meter
204 Posts
Techfreak said:
I am the same height as you, and I have ridden both bikes (not the Gemini 3000, but the 2000). The SX trail is lighter than 43 lbs. Large SX Trail (24.5 TT) works well for me. I think the XL may get a bit sluggish in the tighter trails because it is so long. Same thing with the XL Gemini. Maybe instead of a whole new bike, you should consider lightening the Gemini. Swap out the fork to a SC and run a longer stem when you are trail riding. The Gemini is an awfully nice bike, and an equipment swap will save you TONS of $$$. You'd be amazed at the difference a different stem can make in the feel of a bike.

Consider this : New SX trail II (The Trail 1 might be a component downgrade from what you already have) - $3800, you might get $2000 for the Gemini (I've seen new ones on e-bay for that or less). Total cost $1800.

New 66 RC2 $850 (why not go crazy, right) new stem $75; total cost $925

Thanks $875 left over for lighter tires and beer! (Even more if you go for a different fork.)
Go for the 66SL, you'll lose close to an additional pound.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Prophet 1 MX is dope...has a thru 12 in the back Fox 36, DHX, Good all around components, climbs great and is built stronger than a normal Prophet for drops/FR stuff. They are plenty strong. My Med weighed in a 33.5 lbs stock. Put coils on instead of air and you may have a 35lbs bike but even stronger.

It's agreat allaround bike with the feeling of a Gemini but much lighter and a better climber. I wouldn't be doing 12' to flat but with a good transition 12' would be fine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could you please post a pic of yours? I've never seen one, except those on the cannondale website. Do you have any action pics?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I can post a pic next week when my new shocks come in. I spent the entire fall on a friends set up the same way I am setting mine up, but I only picked mine up last week. The DHX and the 36 Van RC2 come in next week. It's the same as the MX1 shown on the website but with a DHX coil and a 36 Van instead of the 36 Talas.

tom

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
sounds like a VP free around 35 or 36 pounds would be real nice

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Oops

...I HAVEN'T looked back since....

:D

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Spesh

I was in the same situation you were in with a beefy XL Bullit (I'm 6'3", 210lbs). I do the same type of riding, and was tired for hauling that bike up hills and XC with my buds. So I sold it and had a tough decision between Enduro Expert or Enduro SX. I felt that since the SX had beefier parts, it would be a better all Mountain bike for me. But at the same time, the SX was pushing 40lbs, not too far off from where I was with the Bullit. So I went lighter with the Enduro Expert (L). I have looked back since. I can do all of the same stuff I did with my Bullit, except maybe take it to N* (which I only went to a couple times anyway).

The FOX36 Talas is unreal. This bike rails beyond belief. It has made me an even better rider than the Bullit. The Avid brakes are powerful (8" fr, 7" back), comes with 2 ring 22 and 36, and a Blackspire chain tensioner. DHX Air is plush, and the bike is solid. I really like the FSR design. No brake jack under extreme braking for once. ;)

I know it's hard to turn away from beefier bike, I think it's a guy thing. But really, the Enduro Expert is hard to beat.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have also considered the normal Enduro series, but at the moment i can't afford to buy an expert or pro. I would buy an Elite, but they don't have less rear travel than the expert or pro. I have a friend who runs a bike shop and sells cannondale, who told me the 66 would not void the warranty. If i were to buy a Prophet (or any bike), he would take the components that i dont want, and put the ones on there that i do. So, I think I am going to buy a 600 Prophet (I love the matte black) with a 66 SL(keep it on 150-160mm), DHX air 5.0 and later upgrade the other stuff. The bike will weigh around 14.5 Kg or 36lbs. I think that's my best bet.

Of course I am gonna get some sturdier wheels and cranks.

·
memento mori
379 Posts
You might look into a frame trade in with Cannondale.I traded my '01 Jeykll frame for a '05 Prophet.Paid $700.Mx frame cant be much more than that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yet another positive review on the 66SL. I have made up my mind, and I am going to buy the Prophet w/66SL. I will be going on vacation next week so I can't order it for another week. When I get it, I will be sure to post pics of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts