Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bottom bracket on my 2004 Cannondale Gemini 900 (6 months old) was loose, took it to my LBS for repair, but they could not get it apart no matter what they tried. LBS made 2 calls to the factory tech support and they advised him to contact his local sales rep for frame replacement. Not the solution I wanted, but OK.

Here's the problem though.....LBS guy said they will replace just the front triangle, rear swing-arm not to be included. That just seems wrong to me. These 2 peices are the central part of my rig, a matched pair that has worn in together. If they are going to replace the frame (which is admirable), I think it should include the whole shooting match; front triangle AND swing arm.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. (I also posted this question in the Cannondale forum, but I'd like to hear the wisdom that posts here) THX

·
Registered
215 Posts
With the bike being only 6 months old, I doubt that the two pieces have "worn in together" as you put it. Are your pivot points loose or sloppy? I think the replacement policy is reasonable in this situation. Don't fret it...all will be cool with the new triangle and old swingarm.

·
Registered
887 Posts
That would be a negative...if you have a problem with the front triangle (or rear for that matter) that is all that gets replaced. The parts do not wear together like chain and cassette does as the parts do not really touch - you have the swingarm and the mainframe with the bearings inbetween. I would ask if they would replace the bearings as well. If you had a 4-bar bike like a Turner and cracked a chainstay, you would only get a new chainstay as a replacement.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Not sure if I got this

They're replacing the front triangle because they can't get the bottom bracket out? On a 6 month old bike they can't get the bottom bracket out?
Kooky, to say the least.
About the only BB I've had difficulty getting out were older siezed BB's but I'm talking 4+ years of constant exposure to water. The norm of difficulty would be 10+ years. Or BB's that had been forcibly cross threaded by someone installing it who didn't know what they were doing.
So its just strange to me they need to warranty the triangle.

That said, the above posters are correct. Unless the pivots have been loose and sloppy and you've ridden a lot, the should be no wear on the contact points.

Still seems odd to warranty a front triangle for a BB. Maybe somebody screwed up at the shop trying to get the BB out and they're just eating the cost of the frame to get you riding. Now that I've witnessed when watching a "mechanic" who had no business with any type of tool in his hand, let alone working a bike. He screwed up, and the owner was forced to get a customer a new frame, but not before firing said mechanic. All I could do was tell the owner, "I told you so".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.