Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
141 - 160 of 737 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Incidentally...

I've had a play with a Gemini Duo fairly recently (and it was superb), and aside from the 3 grooves in the fins on the top of the body, this light head is not so much a clone of the Gemini, but is more likely actually the same unit!

I'll see if I can get hold of a Gemini again and do some measurements to compare them, but I'd be very surprised if they don't come out of the same factory.
WoW, I love my duo's. If that's the case I would buy a few.

·
Registered
236 Posts
WoW, I love my duo's. If that's the case I would buy a few.
Well to be fair, the driver will be different too (doesn't appear to be programmable), and annoyingly it cycles low/med/high/off so you have to go through off each time to come back to low or medium! Ah well...

Here's some VERY rubbish beam shots to compare... First up is the Yinding on High...

Flowerpot Green Night Darkness Black

Then here's my Exposure Toro Mk3 on high...

Nature Darkness Flowerpot Light Night

You'll notice that the Toro has a narrower, more focussed beam. I'd say that crap photography aside, the Toro is slightly brighter in the centre of the beam (so probably has a bit more throw), but the Yinding has WAY more spread which will make it a much better offroad light than the Toro is (and most of the cheap XML's).

And here's my Joystick Mk7 on high for comparison too...

Darkness Midnight Symmetry

Other things to note. The Yinding starts to warm up pretty quickly, suggesting the LED's have been connected well by lots of thermal compound to the head unit. Overall quality seems very high, and I'm impressed with it for what it cost. Even on low power, the light is plenty useable for moderate paced offroad riding, and medium beam is more than enough for anything except full on DH trail riding at night. Beam pattern wise, it's mildly reminiscent of my old Troutie Lumen Liberator (though not quite as broad) which is easily the best offroad light I've ever used. I will however be keeping my Toro for road riding at night though, cos the tighter more focussed beam (and built in battery) make it much better suited for that purpose.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a Gemini Duo that I purchased from Jim at ActionLED. My question is do these clones have the ability to program the modes? My gemini will allow you to adjust the Hi Med Low settings in 10% power increments. So for example you can have a Hi of 90% Med of 40% and Low of 20% if you want or have a Hi of 100% med of 80% and Low of 60%. Pretty cool feature! Seems like a great deal on a bike light regardless.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a Gemini Duo that I purchased from Jim at ActionLED. My question is do these clones have the ability to program the modes?
No

Sadly not. But I'd say the 3 modes it does have are well thought out. Don't have a multimeter available to measure current, but I'd guess low is about 30-40% and medium is 60-70% is high is taken to be 100%.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got my Yinding 2xXM-L U2 from Fasttech today (20 days from order).

Tried it at home and snapped some comparison shots for reference. Nothing like proper beamshots but thought they might be of interest.

It really is tiny
Blue Product Cable Technology Automotive lighting

Floodier than the 3xXML. Will probably feel like shorter throw in use.
Text Colorfulness Silver

Brighter, cooler colour and less floody than the Magicshine MJ-872
Atmosphere Colorfulness Black Grey

Finally. A lot brighter, whiter and floodier than my old MJ808 (P7)
Text Colorfulness

I think, changing one lens to more spot would make this a really really good helmet light.
Cheers
/Johan

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Extremely bluish...hope some of this is reflect of the blue housing anodisation.
No, I have a red one, and I'd say his photos are pretty spot on (I also have the 3 XML he's comparing it to).

However, when out on the trail, and using both of these lights together (the Duo clone and the triple XML), I don't really see the "blue" tint so much, if at all.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks Markyboy180 and Modig for the pics!:thumbsup:
It looks smaller then my Duo.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
No, I have a red one, and I'd say his photos are pretty spot on (I also have the 3 XML he's comparing it to).

However, when out on the trail, and using both of these lights together (the Duo clone and the triple XML), I don't really see the "blue" tint so much, if at all.
fightnut,
How would you compare the 2 lights?
I have the 3x
Is the 2x worth getting?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
fightnut,
How would you compare the 2 lights?
I have the 3x
Is the 2x worth getting?
Absolutely worth getting. I think it's the best deal going right now.

As far as how it compares to my 3xml:

1. Significantly smaller

2. Significantly lighter

3. Cost less (once you add in upgraded battery to 3xml, which is pretty much a must). Like I said, I'm into the 3xml for $100 with upgraded battery. With current prices, it would be more like $$85 for light and upgraded battery.

4. Almost as bright. Doesn't have the throw or "punch" of the 3 xml, but with some different optics, or maybe reflectors instead, it could have very decent throw.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Gharddog, do you have any calipers to measure your Gemini?
I get 44mm wide x 34.4mm deep (front to back) x 24.2mm high (not including mount) for the Duo clone with my digital calipers.
No I don't.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
A

4. Almost as bright. Doesn't have the throw or "punch" of the 3 xml, but with some different optics, or maybe reflectors instead, it could have very decent throw.
Thanks for the reply!
I have a 3x....and agree with you. But if it's brighter....I'm going to keep it... for now.
But I might get this 2x....or a SS2x xml2...to replace the Hi-Max single U2 light on my helmet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got out a short spin tonight but doing beamshots was trickier than I figured. Will have to do this again but find a better place and mount the lights to my bars. I didn't have a tripod for my camera and I managed to point the lights a bit differently so it'll be hard to make a proper comparison. At least the are all shot with the same exposure (F2.0, 1/3 s, ISO 800) and whitebalance (daylight). My bike is about 20 m away.You can click the image for larger size. (Or go here for even larger https://privat.bahnhof.se/wb594059/test/Comparison.JPG )
Nature Vegetation Natural environment Darkness Terrestrial plant

The med in the Yinding is much more sensible than on the 3xXML where there is almost no difference to high. I think that I would have a hard time to tell the beam pattern apart on the trail.

Big win for the Yinding since it's so much smaller and lighter. I haven't tested battery properly but I find the short leads stupid but not a real problem since I already had an extension.

Cheers
/Johan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just ordered this light, has anyone found any optics to make it slighly more spotty ?
Was going to replace just one of the optics.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Johan. Nice work

I wonder why the triple on medium (2 led's lit) looks as bright as the Duo clone on high. Is the triple drawing more current, or are the optics of the duo sucking up all the light energy? Perhaps the Duo outhrows the triple? The triple looks to be much floodier than the duo also, which is a positive in my book.

Based on these pictures, I would buy the triple before the duo. What do you all think?

141 - 160 of 737 Posts