Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I right in thinking that there is versatility in how the Gemini can be built up? Do you think it can be made to fit the bill for a burly 'all-mountain' ride? I was wondering how the frame works in this regard, is there a bolt that can be moved to alter geometry for example, or is the frame a constant and it would be the choice of fork and controls that altered its character?

Take this ebay example, frinstance:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170069504186&rd=1&rd=1

Looks like a freeride bike. Would it be a lot of work to re-shape it into a more versatile ride?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I use mine as an all mountain ride simply because I went to only one bike for trail riding this year. I got the stock 900 and really only changed two things- I upgraded the shock to a manitou 4-way for the pedalling platform (huge difference) and replaced the downhill Highrollers with some single ply Kenda Kinectic 2.6 stickies. Weight came up about even for the shock switch, I probably could have saves a pound had I gone to an air shock, but I really like going down. :thumbsup: The tires shaved a pound rotating weight- per wheel. Two pounds rotating weight is HUGE. Love the way the bike rides as a trail bike. When I'm clipped in I can usually hang with the 28lb trailbikes.

If you really wanted to make it a serious trailbike, I'd say- Get rid of the stem and oversized bars, go with air shock in back, put a lighter fork on it like the fox 36, and suddenly your in the 33-34 pound range for a do it all bike.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I like mine.

My 2003 Gemini 1000 came stock with a Lefty Max, Float RL F219 wheels, and Martas. It makes a great trailbike.

I changed to Hayes (8 up front), a 5th coil (for the platform and adjustability) Thompson, and Easton ML.

In this form, it can go do shuttle runs, and a 24hr team race, with just a tire swap.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hey Damion, what's that thing weighing in at? Mine's running close to 39, but the only light things I have on it are the tires.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
it depends

32 to 35 lbs, depending on tire/tube combo.

It is an XL, wht the 130mm Lefty Max
Hayes Mag's with 8" front rotor
ML bar (100x35 stem)
SL Grip shift (front) XT rear shifters
RF grips
Thompson Post
WTB saddle
LX cranks (XT Octalink BB)
545 Pedals (frogs when "racing")
XT cassette and Der.'s
Stock F219/omega/Lefty wheels
Tires depend on need I have like 6 or 7 sets (anything from 2.5WW, Nokian 296"s, to 1" wide street slicks)

I know there are areas that I can shave weight, and will. (not that I am a weight weenie, I weigh 225 lb.)

As my boss yells at the top of the climbs- " who says a Gemini is not an XC bike?!?"

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
I had a stock 05 900 that I just sold. I used it for trailriding by myself and with my 12 yr old son. I climbed everywhere I did with my Heckler, just a little slower.

I changed out the tires, added stans that made a big difference. I think with all the light weight fork options out there with adjustable travel, along with the the right rear shock with adjustability, the Gemini could be a great "all mountain" ride.

You can get a used one on ebay cheap, the resale on these bike are not very good for some reason. Very rare to see one go for over $1000.US. Mine was mint condition and I got $1000.US for it. The only reason I sold it was I wasn't riding it much and I want to get a med. size bike for more freeride use.

I would buy another, I would just get one size smaller. I had a large which was good for trail riding, but too big for freeriding.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Been using my 03 - 900 for the past three year for everything that going. It's ain't light but I can keep up most of the time, just a bit slower on the uphills. Basically stock but with a replacement Hope Bulb/729 wheelset - well over the top for me really (you live & learn). Got a lefty to fit to bring the weight down, but due to a lack lustre LBS, buying pretty things (for another build), and an urgent need to pay bills has stopped me for now - I'm happy the lefty will fufill my needs (as I rarely leave the ground).

That one you've listed will really need it's fork replaced to be able to ride it up hill, wheels, rear shock & tyres would be your next targets, after that it'll be harder to loose weight without paying a premium - the Gemini frame is no light weight.

I'd suggest looking at 2nd hand gemini's on fleabay, because as mentioned, they don't really seem to sell well - even though they are a fine bike. Unless you think you need to buy new for the frame warrenty cover.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
JBone said:
I was wondering how the frame works in this regard, is there a bolt that can be moved to alter geometry for example, or is the frame a constant and it would be the choice of fork and controls that altered its character?

Take this ebay example, frinstance:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170069504186&rd=1&rd=1

Looks like a freeride bike. Would it be a lot of work to re-shape it into a more versatile ride?
An adjustible fork will make the biggest difference in changing the character of the bike. At 170mm the BB is very high and angle is about 67 degress. Good for freeriding and DHing but l cumbersome for regular trail work. At 130mm the BB is about the height of a normal trail bike with a trail manageable head angle.

A lighter wheelset and tires will make a big difference on the climbs.

I used my Gemini as a do it all bike till I got the Prophet. Now the Gemini stays equipped with the DH tires all the time. I will take it on short trails rides because it gives me a better work out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, just missed out on bidding for a gemini last night on ebay actually. I'm sure another one will be along shortly. Currently riding a scalpel and a HT singlespeed, so looking to dramatically expand the range of the stable with something thats big, heavy and rides with bad intentions. Don't give a monkey's about weight, more interested to hear about people's fork/shock choices. Thanks for the tip on the picture thread z1ppy, I will check it out.

Anyone know how the gemini sizes up? I ride a large scalpel, but at 6 foot am not especially tall.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
I'm 6' also.

Like I stated in my previous post..........

"I want to get a med. size bike for more freeride use.

I would buy another, I would just get one size smaller. I had a large which was good for trail riding, but too big for freeriding."

A large could be jumped and tale drops, I just feel like a med. would be suited better for FR.

Check the top tube lengths, (going by memory) the large is 24 1/2" and I think the med. TT is 1" shorter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gemini as an all mountain bike

I have a 2003 Gemini 900 which I bought off of ebay. I use it as a trailbike and freeride bike (I am new to the freeride thing and 34 years old so I am not doing 50 foot gaps or anything, just urban freeride stuff). As a trailbike I think it is very good. I took it to Oregon last summer because I could only take one bike and wanted to hit some freeride stuff while I was there. It really worked great. I put a lighter tire on the back but left the 2.5 dh tire on the front. While I was in Oregon, I rode dowhnill runs at a ski resort, mountainous cross country epics, freeride, and even did a road ride along the coast on it. I have the stock Fox Vanilla coil shock which is heavy. I will probably eventually change the coil for an air shock (preferably DHX air). Actually, I looked at the Fox website a few weeks ago and I think they even rate the RP3 for freeride use (which surprised me). Anyway, this would probably be the single best way to make the bike more trail friendly. The stock shock works fine but is very heavy and is not efficeint (no platform).

The fork is the stock Sherman through axle which has been good. You can decrease the travel with the lever on top of the fork leg but I almost never used this even on an hour long sustained fairly steep climb in Oregon. You have to lean forward a little more but the front end is weighted just enough to usually keep the front tire from going skyward or getting too light to steer. I ride an XL and for some reason the shock was way undersprung for anyone that tall - unless you are 6'3" and weigh 150 pounds. So, you will probably have to go to a heavier rated spring if you get one - stock might be ok if you don't ever want to jump but what would be the point of hauling around a 35 pound trailbike around and not getting some air. The front fork was also slightly undersprung so had to go to heavier springs in the fork also. I will echo what others have said, the bikes seem to be fairly cheap on ebay. Single pivot is great for this kind of bike because it is durable and simple yet still performs well. Other than breaking one rear derailleur (stick in the pulley) and the new springs I mentioned, I haven't had to do anything to the bike except clean and lube. I haven't even had to adjust the derailleurs, true wheels, etc. The bike just feels solid. Yes, it is a bit heavy but the fun factor makes up for it. You will have to ride the bike a little differently because of the slack front end - but keep in mind that the angle on the Gemini is less slack than some other bikes in this category so that makes it even better suited for trailbike uses.

And yes, the geometry is adjustable on some model years (the newer ones eliminated this option I think). Mine is adjustable but I haven't really felt the need to change it.

Go for it!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
i would say yes, in general. having said that, by "most" people's definiton of AM riding, that setup would not be good given the fork...plus, its crap damping on it. I would definitley pass on it myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.