Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:
I am finally making some decent money and can afford a decent mtb. I am looking for a durable bike that can handle the trails, jumps, DH, whatever. I also want something that makes sense for long cross-country rides. I am interested in either the Gemini 900 or Santa Cruz Bullit. Of the two which would suit my needs the best? Also an any of you recommend a really good setup, while keeping the entire cost under $3500?
ks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
I have a Bullit with the 5th and the SPV Sherman Slider plus. I ride it everywhere... DH runs, FR, trail riding.

I think you could get an great Bullit like mine for under your budget. Oh ya get a dual chainring and Bashguard with a chain device.

I love my bike and have never regreted it.
 

·
Samsonite Tester
Joined
·
3,993 Posts
Bullit SuperT with good wheels will do it all for less than 3500.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Both are pretty good all-around bikes.

fcuksanji said:
Question:
I am finally making some decent money and can afford a decent mtb. I am looking for a durable bike that can handle the trails, jumps, DH, whatever. I also want something that makes sense for long cross-country rides. I am interested in either the Gemini 900 or Santa Cruz Bullit. Of the two which would suit my needs the best? Also an any of you recommend a really good setup, while keeping the entire cost under $3500?
ks
I have a couple of Bullits, and one of the guys I work with at the bike shop has a Gemini 900. His has a 5th Element on it after changing the Romic. Frankly when both of these bikes have a 5th on them and a similar fork, they're very much alike. One of my Bullits has a Z150 SL, and it performs much like his 900 with the 6" Sherman. I like both bikes and wouldn't be disappointed if I was forced to choose between either. I do not like the drab olive green on his 900, however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
I had both bikes

TNC said:
I have a couple of Bullits, and one of the guys I work with at the bike shop has a Gemini 900. His has a 5th Element on it after changing the Romic. Frankly when both of these bikes have a 5th on them and a similar fork, they're very much alike. One of my Bullits has a Z150 SL, and it performs much like his 900 with the 6" Sherman. I like both bikes and wouldn't be disappointed if I was forced to choose between either. I do not like the drab olive green on his 900, however.
*************************
The Gemini 900 is a fun LIGHT bike compared to my bullit. It comes with the breakout + 7" Sherman with TPC (NOT the SPV)...yeah C-dale and Manitou tried pulling a fast one! In a nutshell...components on the 900 are below average for hucking...ok for aggressive trail riding. Vanilla R shock is garbage, I really don't like the Sherman because it clanks and clunks, the stem is a 2 bolt...etc...However, it is light, fast, and easy to toss around.

Bullits are solid, stable, and will last a life time. Build one up with a Z150, or Z1 if you want to keep it light (I may do this to mine).
You can really feel the quality difference when you hop on the bullit. It handles drops soooo much nicer too.

Don't get suckered into spending $3,000...I bought my new 04 Gemini 900 for $1,700, and a bullit can be built up for way less than $3,000.

I vote for the BULLIT!

Good luck either way....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
personally i havent ever ridden the c-dale, but my friend has a bullit and its just insane, i love riding it, it soaks up almost anything i can throw at it, and its built like a tank, but handles like a sports car, hes got a sherman on it and i kno he got it for much less than 3000, i think it was like 2400 or somthin

o and he beats the crap out of it but it just keeps on goin (he dropped a 13 set of stairs to flat like it was nothin :D )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
For the cost/performance ratio you simply cannot beat the bullit. They can be built to suit any need. The only bike you will ever need, and I'm not just saying that because I have a bulllit, if I didn't though I would be jealous of those who do
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,689 Posts
I have heard that the gemini's are a tad short in the top tube, which could hamper climbing and general XC endeavors. It should be noted that I have a bullit with a triple crank and a z150sl and love it. It is bulletproof and strong, but not super light (which is good as neither am I).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
I also ride a Bullit for everything. The bike actually climbs pretty well with the 5th dialed in right. I run a Z1 FR with the ETA and have a 90mm Thomson stem up front. Last time I weighed in at around 32lbs which isn't bad for a 200lb guy. Regardless, this bad boy will suck up anything you throw at it - it's a blast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its unanimous. I am going to take everyone's advice and get a Bullit. Thanks for the advice. If you have any other suggestions about what parts I absolutely should have on this bike or components that would would keep the bike relatively light, please post them.
Thanks.
ks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Where are the Gemini riders?

fcuksanji said:
Its unanimous. I am going to take everyone's advice and get a Bullit. Thanks for the advice. If you have any other suggestions about what parts I absolutely should have on this bike or components that would would keep the bike relatively light, please post them.
Thanks.
ks
I like mine. It hovers around 34 lb or so, (with the MAX) and I use it for everything. I even raced it at a 24hr race! The 5th Element is amazing. The ability to adjust the travel, and the 1.5" HT is worth checking out.
 

Attachments

·
T.Dot Represent
Joined
·
1,290 Posts
i ride my norco atomik for virtually eveyr type of riding. i do urban i have comuted to work on it, i have ridden DH and XC on it... aslong as u have a nice set up wiht a few gears to play with nothing will stop u
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top