Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's best for endurance racing/riding? There are so many products that do everything from give you shots of energy to help with recovery while riding. Ideas?? Are there brands that are better than others? Hammer? Goo? etc...

I will be needing something to help with recovery while riding and keeping me from crashing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My take is that these are each about 100 instant calories for ~$1.00 when bought in bulk. They are a very fast, easy to eat, easy to digest food. But at $0.01 a calorie it would cost a fortune to keep a rider going for most endurance events. I usually carry along a spare gel in case I really screw up on food intake and find myself bonking, but I try my darnedest not to eat it unless it is a quasi-emergency.

Instead I tend to eat bar based foods which run about $1.00 for ~300 calories when bought bulk.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Not an endurance racer (yet; I did sign up for a 44 mile race in March :), so hopefully others will chime in), but since I'm not supposed to have caffeine I mix Gu http://www.gusports.com/html/gu_energy_gel.htm w/ and w/out caffeine and Clif Shots http://www.clifbar.com/eat/shot_gel.cfm?location=shotgel w/out caffeine. I mainly get those brands cause they're readily available at Performance, and usually on sale. I like the Gu better flavor-wise and the package doesn't cut up my mouth like Clif Shots do. However, the Clif Shots litter leash is nice.

In addition to Gu's once every hour, for longer/harder training rides (mountain) I also take Sport Legs http://sportlegs.com/about/welcome.asp before, during and after. I'm not sure these are actually working. But, for some reason it makes me feel better to know I'm taking them.

And I usually have two bottles of Cytomax http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=5. Thinking of trying Perpetuem so I don't have to worry about eating as much, but haven't gotten any yet.

Very interested to hear what others do and prefer, though.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm a big fan of Gu and Cliff Bloks. They are expensive, yes, but you can get them on sale periodically throughout the year and Performance's membership gives you basically 10% back in store credit whenever you buy from them. I really like the taste of almost every flavor of Gu and I find it to be a very nice pick-me-up every 45-60 minutes. Cliff Bloks are more expensive but they at least get you 2-3 servings per pack. There's some real stinkers in the flavor selection (stay away from Orange unless you like the taste of marmalade) and make sure you have plenty of water handy.

I do also carry bars, trail mix, jerky, and raisins at all times too, and they do indeed offer more caloric bang for the buck but I often myself not wanting solid food that needs to be chewed after a few hours so I stick with the Gu.

Also, on longer rides I always have the 20oz bottle of Accelerade on hand too. Nice liquid calories right there, although it tends to congeel if left alone too long in the warmth.

·
Registered
660 Posts
This discussion comes around every so often, do a search and you should be able to find a couple of threads on the subject.

From my view and that of quite a few other endurance racers I know is to go with a liquid diet. I use 100% Hammer products and mix up multi hour bottles using either Sustained Energy or Perpetuem and usually mix in some Hammer Gel with them. Keeping track of your calories is important and it is easier to do if you separate nutrition from hydration. I can do most of a 24 hour race with very little solid food. But, others seem to be able to eat all sorts of stuff and it works for them.

If you haven't already done so check out the Hammer website and download the Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success. http://www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf

·
Team Hammer
108 Posts
Yup, skinl19 hit the nail on the head. Do yourself a favor and check out the Hammer information. Even if you don't end up using their products, the Endurance Guide and other resources on their website are awesome information.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
skinl19 said:
This discussion comes around every so often, do a search and you should be able to find a couple of threads on the subject.

From my view and that of quite a few other endurance racers I know is to go with a liquid diet. I use 100% Hammer products and mix up multi hour bottles using either Sustained Energy or Perpetuem and usually mix in some Hammer Gel with them. Keeping track of your calories is important and it is easier to do if you separate nutrition from hydration. I can do most of a 24 hour race with very little solid food. But, others seem to be able to eat all sorts of stuff and it works for them.

If you haven't already done so check out the Hammer website and download the Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success. http://www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf
Awesome! Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
+1 for hammer gel. The stuff works. During races with pits (not point-to-point) I'll keep some pb&j, pringles, snickers, payday, clif bars on hand and eat when/if I can. The gels are quick and easy though.

·
Team Weak & Feeble
136 Posts
Experiment

I have been riding 24 races for a number of years and did the MTB portion of the Jay Challenge this past summer. I found that it takes some experimenting to find what gel, drink, food combo works best for your GI tract. Nothing like being mid race and have some serious stomach problems. I have tried, Goo, Power Gel, Hemmer, Stinger, you name it, what works best for me I found was Accel Gel. I also use their Endurox for recovery, but did not like their Accelerade and use the gels with watered down gatorade for fluids and e-Caps. Mix and match seems to work for me. I use my training rides as much for training physically as well as getting the food right.

·
OCD
211 Posts
I"ve got to also agree with skinl19 on the liquid diet thing, it works for me on 24hr events. The Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success does contain a wealth of information also, I know it has helped me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I eat something easy a couple hours beforehand, bananas and oatmeal.

Then during the event I drink water from a Camelback.
I have a large water bottle full of Perpetuem. A 2-3 hour bottle depending. I use the lap length/time to guide my consumption so that it is easy to know that I am on schedule and am not going to bonk. Easier to stay on track that way.

I've tried all different types of goo including Hammer gels, my stomach just knots up. Can't do it.

Ditto on the Endurance Athlete's Guide...tons of good info. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.