Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does gel base snack really works in giving the body immediate carb? Should I mix the gel with water or suck it ? does it taste bad or good? Do I need to drink water after I eat gel ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Gels are quick and easy and I find that they give me what I need on longer, more difficult rides. They are easily digested and some taste pretty decent. A good swig of water never hurts - remember that the chemical reactions inside our bodies take place in an aqueous environment so good hydration is always a plus.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Picard said:
Does gel base snack really works in giving the body immediate carb? Should I mix the gel with water or suck it ? does it taste bad or good? Do I need to drink water after I eat gel ?
General Sense:

Gels give you energy, some even help replace lost electrolites. I know SFA about the carbs thing.

I take my gels straight, just like my Scotch. :)

The taste is "funny" the first two or three times you eat them. After that you begin to appreciate them...

I always take a drink after eating gel. Especially if they recommend it on the back of the package.

I use Cliffsh0ts (the Kola and Orange flavours rock), but want to scope out !Gu and Carbo0m as well. Don't forget to pack out what you pack in...

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
I have found that gels give you energy on those long rides. But for racing, I am a beginner so my race time is usualy around a hour and they don't seem to do anything unless I am on long 2+ hour rides. I use cliff shots, but I won a package of Gu at a raffle so I will try those out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Lone Wolf said:
I have found that gels give you energy on those long rides. But for racing, I am a beginner so my race time is usualy around a hour and they don't seem to do anything unless I am on long 2+ hour rides. I use cliff shots, but I won a package of Gu at a raffle so I will try those out.
Let us know your opinion of the Gu.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Gu isn't bad. I think I've tried pretty much every flavor of every gel out there. I've never had a bad tasting one.

These days I've been preferring to use Hammer Gel. I like the large amounts of complex carbs and low amount of simple sugars. Costs 15-20$ for a big bottle and usually comes with a 5 shot flask. Using the flasks during racing is approximately 3.78 million times better than having to fumble around with those little gel pouches.

- Jeremy -

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do you cary the flask?

- Jeremy - said:
These days I've been preferring to use Hammer Gel. Using the flasks during racing is approximately 3.78 million times better than having to fumble around with those little gel pouches.
- Jeremy -
I LOVE hammer gel I even ask my wife to serve it as an appetizer for dinner! How do you carry your flask? I saw three different flasks dropped on the road ride I did this weekend. I am debating trying a flask, but don't want it ran over by the pack!

·
Registered
484 Posts
soccerbs said:
I LOVE hammer gel I even ask my wife to serve it as an appetizer for dinner! How do you carry your flask? I saw three different flasks dropped on the road ride I did this weekend. I am debating trying a flask, but don't want it ran over by the pack!
I wear road / racing style jerseys that fit tightly and have the 3 pockets in the back. Depending on the length of the ride / race, I just put 1-3 flasks in my back pockets. Reach back, squeeze a shot into my mouth and toss it back in the pocket.

I suppose you could miss the pocket and drop them on the ground by accident. Hasn't happened to me yet, though.

- Jeremy -

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
Gu - Chocolate Outrage

Made with real belgian chocolate :D
They are my secret weapon. I have one just before getting on the trail, then one for every hour of riding. They are super yummy, and they seem to digest very quickly. Caveat: I'm a little person,so you may need more. One packet is only about one hundred calories.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tried them all

We use tons of gels in our adventure races. I prefer Carboom. It tastes like real fruit instead of syrup. I can't choke anything down that tastes like chocolate so the Carbooms work for me. I think the Hammer gel works best but only marginally so. I fill my Hammer gel flask with 5 Carbooms instead of futzing around with the packages. Cliff Shots, Gu, Powerbar Gels, etc. all are about the same. Just find one you like.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i jsut got some gel packets from EMS when they had a sale, today was my frst ride with them on a brand new trail. They were a bit weird since they were gell.....but i got it down and drank some water with it which helped, altho my friend coulnt handle it. I belive it helped bc i was still going for bore after the ride and my friend was dead beat and hes the one whos normaly in better condition

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MTBdave said:
i jsut got some gel packets from EMS when they had a sale, today was my frst ride with them on a brand new trail. They were a bit weird since they were gell.....but i got it down and drank some water with it which helped, altho my friend coulnt handle it. I belive it helped bc i was still going for bore after the ride and my friend was dead beat and hes the one whos normaly in better condition
Hey dave, did you find the gel taste kind of strange ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
lol well it all depends what Flavor you get lol i got "tri-berry" i sortav tasted liek berry but it had a weird added taste of choclate or sumtin in my opinion lol but it was worth it , i sucked it up liek a slugger and drank water and bam it was ogne and worth it

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Sometimes I put honey in a flask. I love the taste, and it's cheaper than GU or hammergel. Some people mix it with salt but I like it straight.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I second Impy's Honey. FOr longer rides, I fill a flask with straight honey that I get in bulk. I also use it straight. I have not noticed a difference between the honey and the gel packs, but I do not have a ton of experience with the gel packs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.