Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to try some white tyres since the Panaracer Magics appeared in white in the 90's but they are either very rare or expensive or both.

I got these for a pittance from on-one in the UK, basically to get my spend on a new helmet up enough to get free postage. :p

Three folding Saguaro 2.0's for $50AUD delivered. :cool:

I would have gone for the 2.2TNT model but the stories of hellishly tight beads put me off and my DT rims are already tight.

My previous exposure to Geax tyres suggested they would be either pretty accurately sized or a tad large.

Initially mounted up they were around 1.9" but appear to have stretched a little. I'll remeasure them after a few rides. ATM they are running tubes but I may gorilla tape ghetto them and use some Stan's if it's compatible. The bead is tighter than my usual Maxxis Ardent / Ikon combo.

I took them for a quick ride yesterday on mixed terrain, starting off on the road, then the usual mix of baked clay, loose loamy topcoat and rocky singletrack, playing with pressure as I went. The ride isn't as plush as my 2.25 Ardent / 2.2 Ikon combo as expected but they do add that racier, sharp steering feel that grippy, narrower tyres can give in the right terrain.

Very quiet on the bitumen and baked clay and pedal easily. Although initially they do look round, there is a definite sharp edge there and I didn't experience any of that indistinct "no edge" round tyre feel.

Quite whiskery when new...

I like them based on my initial spin and I think they will work OK hereabouts in all but gluggy conditions - whereupon i stay home anyway... :blush:

One thing I did notice was small stones being grabbed and flung, one marble sized rock that shot out from under my back tyre like a bullet, and also unmissable was the billiard ball sized chunk of quartz flung into my left shin.... :p

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
My guess is that white tires won't last as long because they don't posses carbon black additive/colorant. That is what gives tires their color and durability, to some extent.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing

·
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't worry me too much, as long as they grip. I don't like my tyres to last too long - I like trying new ones and hate having old ones lying around part worn.... :D

·
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear one is set up gorilla tape tubeless with Stan's. No way it'd seal with the floor pump, had to hit the hose at the petrol station. Has held air fine overnight. Ran out of sealant or I'd have done both.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
My guess is that white tires won't last as long because they don't posses carbon black additive/colorant. That is what gives tires their color and durability, to some extent.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
Carbon black is a filler / reinforcing agent. If the tire is any color other than black, the compound uses silica instead of carbon black. Silica compounds can be optimized for comparable traction, tread wear, and rolling resistance to carbon black compounds.

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
Carbon black is a filler / reinforcing agent. If the tire is any color other than black, the compound uses silica instead of carbon black. Silica compounds can be optimized for comparable traction, tread wear, and rolling resistance to carbon black compounds.
Good info. Learned something.

Sent from the trails.

·
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - very happy with these for my conditions. Ride smooth and fast and corner great, even on loose gravelly crap. I took these on a steep and loose, rocky single track section and they worked great. Only thing I've noticed is rear traction can be compromised due to the connected centre tread (running with the tread in the fast direction) but only in really dodgy climbs.

Wearing really well - in fact there are still a few whiskers on them.

Definitely a fan.

·
Registered
140 Posts
those look really cool. keep us posted on the life of the tread. and the color. wonder how long they'll stay white?

any idea on the weight? and are 2.2's available?

·
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Claimed weight for these is 550gr, I haven't weighed them myself.

Geax list 2.2's, just not in white.

At this point, they are still white, with some minor discolouration from red clay.

Durability does seem good so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts