Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I pretty much have been riding a 32:18 on my 26" ss. I am now going to be putting that same gearing on the 29". I have heard that the use of this gearing on a 29 is the equivalent of a 32:16 on a 26". Does that sound about right? Just trying to get an idea of how much of an ass woopin I will be taking here really soon.

I hate the idea of swaping out my trials freewheel for anything else other than a Hope or King hub set up but if the gearing is too much for me I might just have to do that. The other option was to see about getting a smaller front ring but because I run a modded XTR M960, the spider arms won't allow for it (they will stick out or get in the way of the chain ring/chain interface if you will). So right now, my only option is to suck it up and get stronger!

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
yea, the smallest you can go on that crank is a 31t. pursuiter might have the right idea if you're plannng on sticking to a freewheel. 32-20 is the way to go for the most part. I'd go with a cassette hub personally, but i'm biased :)

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I will eventually be going to a cassette hub. Hopefully a Hope but we will see. A chainring is cheaper than another WI freewheel for sure. Go figure, I just ordered a 33 from you a few weeks ago! It would be great if you could swap it out but I suspect it is too late.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.