Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a very subjective issue but just thought I would ask anyway.

A little history, I have been riding a converted ss for a little over a year and truly loving it. I have changed the gearing a couple time from the initial 34x18 to 34x20 which stayed that way most of last summer through the spring (btw I live on the front range of colorado). Then due to lack of fitness through the winter went 32x20. This has gotten too easy and I just finally bought a true singlespeed, spot longboard.

The question is this, the bike is a bit steep in the gearing and even though I find I can power through a lot of things I could with the old bike it really drains me where I don't feel like riding much the next day. So should I keep it a bit harder and just train up to it or should I back off on the gearing to make it more endurable?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jason

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,739 Posts
Personally, unless I'm training for an event, I change my gearing to fit my fitness level.

There's just no reason every ride shouldn't be enjoyable.

Unless I'm training, which my spiritual Zenmaster HankHank defines as mountain biking minus the fun.

--Sparty

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
i'd run that gear. wait, what is that gear? if its a gear you've run before successfully, then keep it. if its something steeper than you've ever run, put something on that is just a bit harder than you'd like.

about taking the winter off- its not like you had a choice this winter- lots of snow on the front range trails from what i understand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well from what I am reading on another post, its hard to say what the ratio is because it doesn't translate due to the spacing of the teeth. Someone mentioned that they come stock 32x19 but it felt harder than that. Granted its my first 29er so maybe my perception is off. I will probably end up keeping the gear that came with the bike for a while and see how it feels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.