Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am wanting to go with a 1x 30t narrow wide, I have no idea what the gearing means.
Will I be losing gears doing this? I mainly stay on the 22t right now.

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,628 Posts
What is your gearing now? Front ? Back?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
[[This chart is of a unit called gear inches that lets you compare gear combinations across bikes.]] I'm an idiot who read the chart, which mentions gear inches, while ignoring the fact that its unit is actually the gear ratio. In any event, they're just numbers that put a value on gearing. A lower number indicates a lower gear and vice versa. A ratio of 2.73 is the same pedaling experience on any bike (mechanically anyway) and indicates 2.73 rotations of the wheel for 1 rotation of the cranks.

Your existing gearing goes from a ratio of 0.61 on the low end to 3.27 on the high end.

Your proposed 1x11 goes from .83 to 2.73. So you are losing on both ends, a bit more on the high end (0.2 gear inches on the low end and .54 on the high end).

So yes you are losing gear ratio. You are obviously losing gears because you are going from 22 gears to 11, but some of those 22 gears are identical, and some are close enough not to matter. Also, the ones in red are combinations that are "cross chained," that is put undue stress on the chain because it's at the extremes of each set of chainrings and cogs. You shouldn't spend much/any time in those gear combos.

So, practically, the question is, how much do you currently use your highest (hardest to pedal, for downhill and flat) and lowest (easiest to pedal, for uphill) gears? If the answer, like some, is not at all, then you will probably be ok.

You can see how the actual ratios are by staying big ring/second smallest cog (for your high gear) and small ring/third largest cog (for low gear) and see how that suits you.

You can plug in a 28t chainring if you want a lower low (and high), or a 32t if you want a higher high (and low).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
I do 32x10-42 on my fatbikes and it works just fine, but it can be a lot to pedal up a steep surface in the snow or ice, so most will go to 30t and 10-50, which is usually 12 speed. 11 speed works great for mountain bikes, but it's nice to have some lower gearing with the fat-bikes, so I'd recommend a 30t with 10-50 and go for a 32t if you feel like you need to go faster.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm a lightweight in hilly country and use 26 --11/42 on an 11 speed. I use the 42 a lot, but then there's some really steep inclines and it really is used a lot, but we have around 600 feet of vertical. If I had my druthers I'd rather have a 12 speed 30--10/50 which gives me the same low end, an extra gear and a 10 for traveling on the streets.

Depends on where and what you ride for your sweet spot. Both 26/42 and 30/50 will give you almost exactly the same as your 22/36 gearing.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I do 32x10-42 on my fatbikes and it works just fine, but it can be a lot to pedal up a steep surface in the snow or ice, so most will go to 30t and 10-50, which is usually 12 speed. 11 speed works great for mountain bikes, but it's nice to have some lower gearing with the fat-bikes, so I'd recommend a 30t with 10-50 and go for a 32t if you feel like you need to go faster.
... or 28t

·
Registered
88 Posts
30x11-46
or
32x11-46

is a favoured combo for trails etc,

ive used both, at present im using 32x11-46 but may switch back to 30t chainring as i do alot of climbing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts