Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used Monocog 29er and it came with a 36/20 gearing. I looked at a gearing chart and it says its comparable to a 32/18 which is what a lot of riders use. My question is there any advantage to using 32 over a 36 ring? I am in the midwest so I was thinking of changing the small ring to an 18 but while I was at it should I also change the big ring to a 32? Also looking at doing a novice race, pretty flat from what I hear, in Aug. so will either the 36 or the 32 give me a better advantage?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
elmomil said:
I picked up a used Monocog 29er and it came with a 36/20 gearing. I looked at a gearing chart and it says its comparable to a 32/18 which is what a lot of riders use. My question is there any advantage to using 32 over a 36 ring? I am in the midwest so I was thinking of changing the small ring to an 18 but while I was at it should I also change the big ring to a 32? Also looking at doing a novice race, pretty flat from what I hear, in Aug. so will either the 36 or the 32 give me a better advantage?

Thanks
yup....your gear inches are pretty close...the 36X20 is slightly 'taller'......and no....no real advantage of a 32T vs. a 36T unless you have clearance issues (rocks/roots/etc..)....the 36T will grab more chain and wear 'less-fast'...

i'd pop a smaller rear cog for a flat race....spinning like a hamster on crack trying to maintain any real speed and keeping your butt on the seat is no fun :p .....maybe a 36X16 pushing about 65 gear inches instead of the stock 52'ish on your bike

52 gear inches is basically a 2:1 ratio on 26'ers.....and 2:1 on the flats is pretty spinny.....IMHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks Chum
I was thinking 18 but hopefully by end of Aug the 16 will be right on for the race.

·
3,707 Posts
No way I could hang with 36x16. Pretty hilly around here, so I stay at 33x20 or even 33x22. But my fixed road bike is 48x18.

·
Registered
492 Posts
For Texas I like the belt driven equivalent to a 34x18. Works good with switchbacks, good in heavy trees, killer in climbs. Pedal your ass off in open areas. I stay as close as I can to a 2:1 ratio.

Everyone is different.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
p nut said:
No way I could hang with 36x16. Pretty hilly around here, so I stay at 33x20 or even 33x22. But my fixed road bike is 48x18.
36x16 is a great dingle combo with 32x20;) Its very fun to change it up for a ride here and there. It also gets me to the trail quickly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts