Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Category Winner
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing the Off Road Assault on Mt Mitchell (55 miles 13,000 feet climbing)this weekend. My original intention was to run a 34X20. I used that gear in a 12 hour race because it had many short steep climbs. I wanted to be able to stay on the bike.
The ORAMM is quite different. Most of the climbs are on long fireroads. One long downhill where I can spin out a 34X17. There will be some climbing on singletrack, some granny gear type stuff. Also 2 miles of relatively flat road at the start/finish. I have never gotten around to riding my SS in the mountains before. I am fit rider(I am a messenger and a commuter), I got 4th out of 30+ solo in the 12 hour(only ss in the race). I am looking for a decent result, not survival.
I run 2:1 locally on all the trails in CLT NC. I am @ 128 lbs and ride a 27lb Spicer. I have done all the math on the ratios, I am looking for opinions. I was thinking 32X17, an increase of 4.74 inches. I have a 34/32 ring/20, 18, 17, 16 cog available in my toolbox.

·
Registered
124 Posts
gears

Hey. I've gone up there 3 or 4 times now to ride around and try to figure out the course.
I would say that 32X17 is a bit ambitious, but your results may vary.

I've been riding 32x18, which is about all I'd care to push up the two long climbs to
the Parkway. I feel like I should run a little lower for this, but it's all I have. I'm planning
on just jogging up Kitsuma and Star Gap anyway - probably won't have any choice since
we'll get onto Kitsuma all the way in the back after the road section. Hopefully we'll make
up time on the gravel climbs.

Anyway, Spookykinkajou was running 34x19, I believe, and didn't seem at all impeded by
the lower gear. I wouldn't run 32x17 if I were you, but that's just me.

Hope to see you out there - Look for the black TET. You ride a Spicer, I believe?

ZB

·
Category Winner
6,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I am truly stumped.

My bike is not light, but I am. I tend to push a slightly bigger gear on climbs. If I regularly ride most of the Pisgah fire roads on a 6" travel/40+ lb bike in the middle ring do you think I could push the 32X17?
Would there be any benefit? (other than the road section)
If you really wish for an easier gear, what would it be?
I have been up the road to the Parkway.., any of the fire roads worse than that?

Your gear 46.22"
Kinkajou 46.5"
32X17 48.94"
34X20 44.2
32X20 41.6
34X18 is right out

I really should have made it out there on my bike, I know, I know.
Crap

I would love to have no regrets at 10:00am Sunday.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hmmmmmmm

The big climb up Curtis Ck. road is as bad as it gets as far as road climbs. The
second big climb on the other side of the Parkway is about as bad, and gets pretty
steep at the top.

If you feel like you can ride that climb in 32x17 after 25 miles of tough riding, and then
do another climb just like it 10 minutes later, then I'd say go for it. I guess all I'm saying
is that even if you CAN push the 32x17, it's probably not going to be the best choice...
just remember - that first downhill from the Parkway is going to go FAST. The elevation
profile doesn't really do justice to how it's going to feel. It's basically going to FEEL like
a 15 mile, 4500' climb with a short break halfway up.

There are only 4 or 5 sections on the ride where spinning out is going to be a factor,
and we're going to be spending way, way more time on the climbs than on those
few sections.... so I say gear to climb. If I had a bottomless box of cogs, I'd probably
go for 34x19-ish.

You may be in a lot better shape than I am, though. This is all just my thoughts.

ZB

·
Registered
124 Posts
No idea.

I've heard 80-something all together were preregistered a couple days ago.

I'm racing "Open".... so you don't have to worry about me. I think I read
somewhere that Tubeless Man is coming. He usually races masters
expert (on his SS), but may race ss. He's a freeking animal. I saw him
annihilate the field at the Bump 'N Grind. They were whining that he should
HAVE to ride SS class because he was on an SS. :rolleyes:

ZB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.