Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone riding the Creampuff SS? What gear are you running? The longest SS race I've done was Sea Otter a few years back which was only 50 miles and obviously a lot less climbing. I rode that 2 to 1, but I am definitely going to gear down for the Creampuff, but how low should I go?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,665 Posts
tahoefreerider said:
Anyone riding the Creampuff SS? What gear are you running? The longest SS race I've done was Sea Otter a few years back which was only 50 miles and obviously a lot less climbing. I rode that 2 to 1, but I am definitely going to gear down for the Creampuff, but how low should I go?
The year I SS'd the Puff (2002) I ran 34x20 (26" wheel). Most of the locals who ride the trails that make up the Puff course run this same gear or similar gear inches. 34x22 on a 29er should feel close to the same. FWIW I'm one of those locals.

I wonder if total gain will amount to 18,000' on this year's course. This sounds a little high to me. The "traditional" 3-lap course included just over 16,000' gain, but the upper reaches of the Alpine Trail are currently still inaccessible due to snow. So the 2008 course is slated to consist of two ~50 mile laps that will eliminate the highest sections of the Alpine Trail rather than three 33 mile laps that included the Alpine in it's entirety. Regardless there will still be a lot of gain in the 2-lap format and some of the singletrack that's been added due to the course change is quite draining physically (ie: Winberry Divide Trial). And I'm not saying that 18,000' is out of the question; indeed it might be there.

Shout "howdy" as your roll through Aid Station Zero -- I'm captaining that aid station again this year. Let us know if there's anything we can do to make your race even better. Aid Zero will be at the bottom of the Winberry Tie Trail where you turn onto FS Rd #150.

See you in 10 days; best of luck.

--Sparty

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,665 Posts
Minor correction

Clarification...

In the interest of talking in general terms above, I rounded course mileage. The actual total distance for the CCP100 3-lap format was around 105 miles; I believe each lap of the 2-lap course is around 54 miles, so you'll def come away with well over 100 miles by the time you earn your CCP100 finisher's cap.

--Sparty

·
Registered
108 Posts
looks closer to 14,000ft this year.

Either way, still alot of climbing... and Like Sparty said, some tough singletrack climbing. I've been told "expect to walk" through a few sections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.