Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you carry your gear when driving to/ from the trailhead?

I use a milk crate for stinky stuff like shoes, gloves, helmet, as well as small items like lube, shock pump, and an emergency tube. Then carry food, clothing, towel, etc… in some kind of duffle or backpack.

This works well for keeping the soggy stuff separate and aired out at the end of a ride. The drawbacks are 2 containers are just more to manage and my milk crate can sometimes be big or cumbersome when carpooling.

I know there are some gear bags out there with vented shoe storage and am interested in maybe upgrading to something like this.

What do you all use and recommend?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
plastic bin to keep tools and lubricant, spares, etc..., everything else I just throw in my trunk. Actually everything stays there all the time, except dirty/wet clothes. If I ride with someone else, I just pack it all into the aforementioned container.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use a laundry basket. Not pretty but functional. It really helps because I can see everything I've packed quickly. Nothing is worse than arriving at a trail and forgetting something important like shoes, helmet, etc.

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
Not this exact one but I use a cargo bin similar to this:

Oh yeah, if I'm on a road trip and have to drive immediately after riding, I place all my sweaty, stinky clothing in a mesh laundry bag that I throw on to the roof rack. That way the sun and wind can dry out the gear and I don't have to smell it all the way home.

·
Magically Delicious
10,776 Posts
How do you carry your gear when driving to/ from the trailhead?
What do you all use and recommend?
I'm a bit of a minimalist with stuff that I bring in the local haul vehicle unless it's more of a long distance or duration drive to trail. I always carry my multitool and related on bike stuff for unexpected trail head or trail issues. No liquids, lubes or such. Bikes are well maintained and arrive at trail ready to ride.

I do bring a small bag with extra gloves, socks, shirt, shorts and towel. Primarily to change into dry clothes. Extra gloves because I have a habit of forgetting them on occasion. Sweaty stuff goes in the back of the truck with bikes.

·
2,660 Posts
I've been using a huge Patagucci duffel bag for years. It's extremely well made and water resistant when all zipped up. I toss everything in there for the ride and clean clothes for afterwards. I can toss it in my truck bed when my gear is all stinky too.

I also have some basic tools and a pump in my truck at all time for last minute adjustments.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Old milk crate, too, for all gear/nutrition except clothing.

I use a recyclable Target bag to bring a wet towel for post-ride clean up, and to stash my stanky-azz gear into afterwards.

Toolbox with tools just in case.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,849 Posts
yeah, I try to leave minimal things in the vehicle behind. I have a midsized Adidas duffel I got for soccer a long, long time ago. When I travel a little farther to ride, I'll bring that and put a fresh change of clothes and footwear in it. It's black, and with the dark upholstery, it disappears pretty well on the floor in the backseat of my truck.

Otherwise, the stuff that's not on the bike just gets placed on the floor in the backseat so that when I leave to ride, there's no bin/bag left behind for someone to get curious about.

If I'm riding with more people, such that folks are USING the backseat, then most stuff goes into the bed of the truck while driving. I have a fairly heavy plastic truck bed box that I'll use if I want to keep stuff from getting wet in the rain, or blowing out of the truck. But I have zero illusions about it offering any sort of security, since it's not bolted down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use the Osprey Bigkit 75L.

Perfect for any length trips...beyond roomy, ventilated area for pads/shoes, helmet strap on the outside of the pack and seperate valuables/sunglasses case. Really well thought out backpack/duffle combo.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The only stuff I bring to the trailhead fits in/on my Camelbak.
Pretty much the same here with the exception of my shoes (throw em in the back of the car/truck). Sometimes we also bring post ride beers (tiny collapsible cooler) and/or a change of cloths if it's a long drive (reusable grocery bag).

I have a friend that always brings a ton of crap in an IKEA bag which is ironic since he tries to ride with a tiny little fanny pack that isn't anywhere near big enough to carry the stuff he should have with him on the actual ride.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm lucky in that I live close enough to the trail to just ride there.

I do get a little frazzled on the rare occasion that I drive to a trail or race with a buddy. I never know what to bring or how to carry it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I used to use reusable shopping bags, which I really didn't have a problem with. However I've switched to these collapsible crates. They more or less have the same storage capacity but it's nice to have storage that is a little bit wider and not as deep. Allows you to see more equipment on top versus digging for it.

Rectangle Toy Font Tints and shades Magenta

1 - 20 of 29 Posts