Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First - Congrats to the ss'ers from the wilderness 101 - you guys rode strong. I was not able to do the race this year due to family stuff but rode the geared bike in it last year. What gear ratio did you guys use? I am doing the Shenondoah mtn 100 and am loking for advice - My longest ride on the SS is 6 hrs on a 32:16.

·
Registered
229 Posts
not too low

I ran 32x18 on a 26er last year and that felt about right. Any lower and I feel you would really be losing a lot of time in the paved transition stages. If I can do it again next year and am still on a 26er, I'll probably aim for higher fitness and run something like 34x18. One word of advice - keep doing longer rides starting now and taper off before the race. I did most of my prep on an SS cross bike doing 7-8 hour rides, with as much climbing as possible in a big gear.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
i just rode a race this past sunday that was 64 miles with over 10,000ft of climbing and ran a 34-21 and it took me 7 and a half hours. the only other SS'er there had 34-20 and he finished about 20 minutes before me. i couldnt imagine going any lower than that and he agreed with me.

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
congrats!

hey Sean - congrats on 15th out of 100 racers overall. Awesome way to represent the SS (and break in the Vicious)!

EDIT: I can't be trusted with pictures :)

Spookykinkajou said:
i just rode a race this past sunday that was 64 miles with over 10,000ft of climbing and ran a 34-21 and it took me 7 and a half hours. the only other SS'er there had 34-20 and he finished about 20 minutes before me. i couldnt imagine going any lower than that and he agreed with me.

Attachments

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Hollywood said:
hey Sean - congrats on 15th out of 100 racers overall. Awesome way to represent the SS (and break in the Vicious)!
Thanks! the vicious performed admirably but that can't be said for the rest of my components;)

my rear hub...how should i put it simply. Hmm, doesn't work.

I wish i had a recorder to pick up the sounds i was producing for about 5hrs of the race. It went something like this...

Click(pedal), squeak(unknown) creak creak(stem). repeat 4,536,434 times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts