Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm trying to build up a single speed bike. I'm working with a 32x16 set up right now, but it seems waay too easy at this point. What I want to know is what other riders are using as far as gear ratio's are concerned. I want something that will work to improve my overall performance and not make me just sit and spin, as I am now with the current set-up. What is a good ratio?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ShikePSH said:
Okay, I'm trying to build up a single speed bike. I'm working with a 32x16 set up right now, but it seems waay too easy at this point. What I want to know is what other riders are using as far as gear ratio's are concerned. I want something that will work to improve my overall performance and not make me just sit and spin, as I am now with the current set-up. What is a good ratio?
Where/what are you riding?

2:1 is low on hardpack/pavement without much climbing.

Get in the hills and lower is better for most of us. My usual gear for the Oregon Cascades is 36 x 21.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
shiggy said:
My usual gear for the Oregon Cascades is 36 x 21.
I just ordered a Boone 21 tooth for my 36t front... just an hour ago.

I used to run... 32x18 on the trails - then switched to 34x18 and 34x20 depending on the trail. Now I'll be 36x19 and 36x21 when my Boone cogs get here. I think my King 18tooth cog is going to get lonely with the new 36 tooth front ring.

FF

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sitting and spinning is part of the deal. If you gear it up to crank the flats, you'll have way too much gear for the hills--if you have hills.

If you don't have hills, gear it up and avoid headwinds.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Fast Freddy said:
I just ordered a Boone 21 tooth for my 36t front... just an hour ago.

I used to run... 32x18 on the trails - then switched to 34x18 and 34x20 depending on the trail. Now I'll be 36x19 and 36x21 when my Boone cogs get here. I think my King 18tooth cog is going to get lonely with the new 36 tooth front ring.

FF
I am about to go to a 38 x 23.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.