Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
donkey
263 Posts
Depends on what the original chain is. You need to post more information if you want helpful feedback. 38x18 would be a slightly steep gear for an 'all purpose' single speed bike (depending upon your level of fitness). It would be good for double track and getting around the block. Try mating a 34t chainring to your 18t cog for an intro to ss mountain biking. As far as the chain goes... 8spd chains can frequently be used with 3/32 singlespeed set ups. Try to avoid using chainrings and cogs designed for multi-speed drivetrains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the chain is from an 8 speed. Would a 38/16 or 38/14 be a better set up. The main reason I like the 38/18 was the chain is mint and I don't need a tensioner with that set up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
a 38/16 would be hard to push on anything but a flat trail and a 38/14 would be even harder.

if you are riding trails, a 2 to 1 ratio is what a lot of people preach. if you are on a 26 inch bike, 38/19 would get you to the 2 to 1. myself, i like an easier gear to pedal, so when i had a 26 inch ss, i ran a 32/17. on a 29, you basically add 2 teeth to the rear sprocket to get the same gearing, 32/19. on my 29, i usually run a 32/20 or 32/21 on all but the flatest of trails. i prefer to be able to pick my speed up quickly out of corners and up hills rather than grinding it out.

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
DLJ,

Try the search function located directly below the advertisement towards the top of your screen. I would say that out of all the topics that get covered in the SS forum, this one has popped up at least once a week for the past 5 or 6 months. Just search "SS gear ratio" and I bet you will come up with a lot of information.

Good luck figuring out your ratio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.