Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at SS. I bought my first SS last May. Since we have a **** load of huge climb here, I started with 34 22 then changed to 34 20 I am now riding 34 18 but this is freakin hard now.

I am interested to see what others are riding?

Dan

·
Registered
921 Posts
During good weather I use a 33x17 but have switched to 33x20 for winter riding. However, we've had too much snow here in Illinois to ride at all so my bike sits all clean & lonely in the garage.

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
Dan001 said:
I am new at SS. I bought my first SS last May. Since we have a **** load of huge climb here, I started with 34 22 then changed to 34 20 I am now riding 34 18 but this is freakin hard now.

I am interested to see what others are riding?

Dan
32x20 on my 29er seems to give me just the right amount of "this is impossible" where I ride.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Out here in western Oregon, the climbs tend to be ~3000 ft on five-six mile climbs. Most folks are using 34/20 while some others are using 34/21, 32/20. Mine is a 34/21, and I have a background of being a spinner, and just don't have huge muscle mass.
I am fairly new to SSing, but have 20 yrs of MTBing behind me, after 15 yr of spinning along on road bikes before that. I wouldn't want a taller gear for this area. I'd like to keep my knees.

·
190lbs of climber
1,542 Posts
mashing uphill here

cmatcan said:
anybody know what gear travis brown usually runs? i heard he runs some insane tough gear. whats the hardest gear youve ever had on your ss? easiest??
38x16 on my SASS. I can climb almost anything, in fact my fastest climbs are on this bike--though that may be because it is rigid therefore more efficient. I have found that as long as I can get the pedals to turn over, it doesn't really matter how heavy I gear. It does make tech climbs hard.
Its definately my favorite bike, over my 1x9 jumping/fun bike. I never spin out on the road. I think I can cruise at around 18mph comfortably.
oh, and a long bike and bar ends help a lot fpr climbs. I'll try to get a pic when it's light out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for your reply.

It seems that a lot of you are riding a 32 instead of 34.Is the rational clearance? My bike came with a front already set up at 34. Would I have a better feel and be able to ride more technical if I go down to 32?

Dan

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
run what ya brung

clearance? no i doubt anyone will give that as a reason. it would give you a whopping 2mm or so clearance. I think there is a migration by some to run smaller gears front and rear for various reasons. If you need a new ring that is one thing, but why replace it if you can get the ratio you need with what ya ardy got.

I brought up the dos eno as an interresting option that few have discussed here much. its a double freewheel that you can swap the chain when you switch from trails to street. sort of like a flip flop hub only you dont have to move the wheel as much. not perfect but i like it.

gears are a personal preference...Id say you shnould not get sucked into any ideas that you ought to push a really hard gear for macho reasons, or a really easy gear to 'improve your spin'.....both are bad ideas in my estimation (I have also heard this from several physiologists, and biomechanics experts)....run what you prefer...unfortunately that means trying a bunch of ratios and usually buying a few you wont end up using....a good LBS may let you borrow freewheels that are 'laying around' with the idea that you will buy your final ratio there....there are many good reasons to support your LBS and develop a relationship with them....this is one.

ride on

Ken

·
Registered
35 Posts
i live in salt lake city and run 36 x 20 on my sass, which is pretty hard on sustained climbs of which there are many. i tried many combinations in the 1.65:1 to 2:1 range, as does everyone, 32/16, 17, 18 and 19 and 34/18, 19 and 20 and so on...36/20 runs the drive train smoothest for me and i just have to work harder which is kind of the point for me. luckily, my experimentation in gearing has left me with a sizable collection of cogs and rings, so when we travel, i can easily adjust to new conditions, though so far, few areas have been stouter than home. i have a fixed mtb commuter as well and i run 38 x 14 and live in the foothills where i use the pedal momentum as "power assist" on climbs.

marc

oops, didn't see the last thread about clearance, sorry...up to 38t in the front doesn't seem to matter to much and wrt drivetrain wear, mo' teeth seems better...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.