Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, sorry if this topic has been beaten to death! I'm taking a trip to Crested Butte and I'm wondering what size cog you mountain people run in the back. I'm running a 32x18 on a 29'er in the flatlands of Chicago now. What do you guys run where there's actually mountains? THANKS!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
MOZMTB said:
Hey, sorry if this topic has been beaten to death! I'm taking a trip to Crested Butte and I'm wondering what size cog you mountain people run in the back. I'm running a 32x18 on a 29'er in the flatlands of Chicago now. What do you guys run where there's actually mountains? THANKS!
Never ridden Crested Butte but I am from Ontario which is also flat and had a similar dilemma when traveling down south to ride Fruita/Moab and the Kokopelli trail. I'm sure someone can post back with some first hand experience...

For what it is worth,,,I brought down a few cogs to see what worked and found a 32x20 to be great. There were a few climbs that needed to be walked but that was mostly due to loose terrain. I imagine a 32x21 would be just about perfect (biggest I had was a 20T).

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
MOZMTB said:
It depends on you. Can you adapt to altitude? Are you used to standing and cranking (sprinting) even on the flatlands of Chicago? If yes to both then you can get by with 32x18. Just slow your pace. If you expect to sit and spin up hills then put on a bigger cog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.