Jordan Carr's 2020 Gear of the Year

With racing and distant traveling off the docket for 2020, I dove deep into the mountains surrounding my home in search of new trails. Most of my season was spent sniffing out old mining routes and linking together a mix of prolific routes and new to me trails around the Sierra's and now the San Juan mountains of Colorado. My riding was focused on getting away from the busy trails and out onto the primitive, seldom traveled routes. My gear preferences reflect long days on the bike when comfort is of the utmost importance and weight is trumped in favor of durability.

CushCore XC Tire Inserts

When exploring on the mountain bike, I often end up on trails an in terrain that is rugged, technical, and hard on equipment. I've found that with CushCore tires inserts I'm able to safely run lower pressures to get the traction I need while still giving me the needed sidewall support and rim protection. Due to the weight of CushCore Pro system, I've been hesitant to run it all the time especially for my long exploratory rides where I often wish I had it. CushCore's latest offering, the XC insert system offers many of the benefits of CushCore inserts with less of a weight penalty. I've found that CushCore XC inserts offer a nice compromise in weight and ride quality improvements. If you like to open it up on the rocky technical bits, adding CushCore XC will greatly improve your ride experience.

More info: CushCore.com

Price: $125.00

Buy Now

Smith Wildcat Glasses

Smith's Wildcat blend retro styling with modern technology and goggle-like eye protection​

Eye protection is of the utmost importance when I'm out on the trail and keeping my eyes safe from the sun and from trail debris can be a challenge in changing temperatures and light conditions. I've found that the goggle like styling of the Smith Wildcats offer great protection while still giving your eyes plenty of airflow. A massive lens fits nicely into a lightweight plastic frame and is easily swapped out if the conditions require. Available in a variety of lens and frame color options, the Wildcat has become my go to whenever I'm headed out on the mountain bike.

More info: smithoptics.com

Price: $209.00

Buy Now

Whisky Components Milhouse Bar

As I've moved away from racing and more into exploratory adventure style riding, comfort has been a main concern with my bike setup. As the season has changed and I've been dialing my fat bike in for winter use, I've been looking for a way to get a little more upright with my bike fit. Whisky Component's new Milhouse carbon bar is the perfect upgrade -- featuring a wide 820mm width, 16 degrees of back sweep, and 70mm of rise, the Milhouse will drastically change the fit and ride characteristics of any bike they are bolted to. A

More info: Whiskyparts.co

Price: $215

Buy Now

Club Ride Apparel Daniel Flannel

As much as I associate with the bike community, I struggle with some of the loud outfits that have become such a common sight out on the trails. My style preferences trend more towards casual than performance but it's always great when I find a piece of clothing that combines both casual aesthetics with performance features. Club Ride's Daniel flannel does just that by pairing technical fabrics and features with a sleek, tailored flannel design. Knowing the weather can change at any moment, the Daniel lives in my MTB pack during the summer months but becomes a staple in my daily wardrobe as the weather cools down.

More info: Cluberideapparel.com

Price: $89.00

Buy Now

One Up Dropper Post V2

After many years of riding mountain bikes without dropper posts, this ride changing component continues to amaze me even after 10 years of being a staple on every bike I build. 2020 brought on longer dropper posts and I've been amazed with the One Up 210mm dropper. Not only does it offer 210mm of travel, but the One UP version 2 dropper post is one of the most user friendly posts I've used. It can be easily serviced by any consumer with simple tools, plus it's travel can be shimmed down by 10-20mm to make sure you get all the travel you need no matter your bike size and fit constraints. If you're running a dropper post with less than 150mm of travel you're missing the amazing maneuverability a longer dropper post allows for and the One Up V2 dropper is a great choice for an upgrade.

More info: oneupcomponents.com

Price: $209

Buy Now

Mtbr is committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.