Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
No Fear
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on shock that i realized the current package of the red rum i had finished.
Like always i went to the place i put my fluids to fetch a new one and realize i havnt any !!!! And i hadnt figure it earlier to order a new box from abroad as im in Iran and cant find any over here infact no the except me has it Or doesnt know what it is after all .
Let alone 90 or 95% of the bike mechanics here use the cheapest & most low end fluids they find at the auto store down the street..

Product Bottle Liquid Red Black

I found a person in Denmark to buy a box of 12 for me but i can receive it in 4 months if i want it earlier the shipping cost would be very high and affordable

But to have something in hand in order to work on on coming shocks i need an temporary alternative

i searched the net and saw people saying that its the same thing as assembly lube also said you can use gear lube instead of it

I wanted to know if what that ( gear lube ) is ?

Lubricant for auto transmision ? Automatic or Manual ?

What specifications should it have ? What standards ?
And which are the brands that are capable of not damaging the Teflon bushings in the lowers ?

Thank you all very much

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Gear lube often has friction modifiers to make it drag *more*, since sometimes they're approved for manual transmissions, which need the friction. Not always though. Some are plenty slick.

Dont use auto transmission fluid for legs. ATF isnt slick. You can use it as damper fluid, but at iso 32, its pretty thick for that too. Moto guys use it, I believe.

The best thing to use for substitute fluid is synthetic motor oil. 5w30 is fine or 5w40 or really whatever. The weight isnt critical.

·
No Fear
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gear lube often has friction modifiers to make it drag *more*, since sometimes they're approved for manual transmissions, which need the friction. Not always though. Some are plenty slick.

Dont use auto transmission fluid for legs. ATF isnt slick. You can use it as damper fluid, but at iso 32, its pretty thick for that too. Moto guys use it, I believe.

The best thing to use for substitute fluid is synthetic motor oil. 5w30 is fine or 5w40 or really whatever. The weight isnt critical.
Thanks a lot

But i think i still didnt fully get what gear lube is

Is it exactly the fluid used to lubricate manual transmissions ? I searched it on the net and got to ( Gear Oil ) on wikipedia
Then changed the language to our native ( farsi ) and saw the very thing we call to the fluid we put in manual transmissions
We call it ( vascasine ) Dont think no other language calls that vascasine.!

Well after all you say using a high end fully synthetic Engin oil would be better ?

I think i would use some 15Wts i have in the lowers till i find some one to post me some from abroad...
i dont feel good about using some thing else in it

has anybody else used engine oil in the lowers ? And had any experiences

Thanx again
Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts

7 hub 1 and I i8boi b I Iwan kh2

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks a lot

But i think i still didnt fully get what gear lube is

Is it exactly the fluid used to lubricate manual transmissions ? I searched it on the net and got to ( Gear Oil ) on wikipedia
Then changed the language to our native ( farsi ) and saw the very thing we call to the fluid we put in manual transmissions
We call it ( vascasine ) Dont think no other language calls that vascasine.!

Well after all you say using a high end fully synthetic Engin oil would be better ?

I think i would use some 15Wts i have in the lowers till i find some one to post me some from abroad...
i dont feel good about using some thing else in it

has anybody else used engine oil in the lowers ? And had any experiences

Thanx again
Cheers
I have, but qibla n%o o a. 8bibobo I a

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

·
No Fear
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i went to and found two good items one a Gear lube ( manual transmission fluid ) and the other an Engine oil

First the photos of the Manual transmission fluid
Advertising Label Packaging and labeling Paint Plastic

Material property Label Packaging and labeling Paint General supply

below i poured some in a glass to visualize its appearance

Fluid Liquid Yellow Drinkware Glass

And rubbing it between fingers really wasnt satisfying but talking about its viscosity when pouring examining it by sight it was good and dense

now the other one which was an engine oil

Font Black Packaging and labeling Box Material property

Technology Label Advertising Office supplies Office equipment

Packaging and labeling Box Label Cosmetics Carton

And for its physical examination ......rubbing under fingers felt good and slimy but in terms of visual examination it felt less dens than the other one

Both are fully Synthetic note it has written the term fully synthetic on the engine oil but not on the manual transmission fluid but the seller told me when it indicates 75 W 90 its automatically fully synthetic in that case ....
Dont know if he was right or not what do you think and besides that which one of these two would you recomend using in the lower legs ?

Liquid Fluid Drinkware Barware Drink

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.