Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What range is generally accepted for kids? I'm building a 26" bike for my son and we are working on the drivetrain. I'm thinking about doing a Deore 1x10 setup. They have the option for 36t or 42t on a 10 speed cassette. He currently has a 11-36 1x10 on his 20" bike and tends toward the lower gears when trail riding, but has complained about not having enough top speed when we ride on pavement. I'm leaning toward the wide range cassette for this reason.

I'm holding off crank selection until we pick the cassette. He's on 127mm Spawn cranks now. He is 4' 4" now. The plan is to build the bike up over the next 3-4 months and have him ride it on the trainer in the winter so he will be ready for spring next year.

·
Registered
299 Posts
11-42. We went with a 30T 1x10 setup and 11-42 cassette on Si's 26 build and he can rip on that thing. No climbing concerns whatsoever and the bigger wheels still allow him to haul on the flats when he wants to.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It depends on how much low range/speed he is riding with. If he is flying, like adult speeds and sneaking in pedal strokes too...wider gear range can be nice in our experience.

The beauty of doing your own build is you can get a better XD driver. A 11sp 10-42 is pretty sweet with a 30t (or maybe 28t). It seems minor but the range increase from 11t to 10t is pretty significant. I got a deal on 11sp xt RD and Shifter for about 89$ iirc. It's been nice and the kid uses the full range.

11-42 is pretty great and will work well too.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the wheelset and frame for free, so I'm stuck with a Shimano hub for the time being. I see Deore 10 speed setups for around $110 on eBay, they include cassette, shifter, derailleur, and chain. Paired with Deore brakes I think it will be ok at his 70# weight. I'll start looking my crankset options now. I've used Spawn on his 16" and 20" bikes, but a direct mount ring would be nice.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Prevelo Heir cranks are fantastic direct mount cranks with 30t ring and light. 86$ shipped but you have to email them. Needs a shimano style bb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts