Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a long cage X9 rear derailleur in a 2x9 drivetrain (11-32 Shimano XT cassette). I'm generally happy with the performance, but have a problem "finding" the right gear when shifting down under load. Specifically, I run into the problem when I downshift a few gears at the base (or during) a steep climb -- when I shift it hunts/skips around, and sometimes I've lost all momentum by the time it settles down. It only happens at the top of the cassette (24-28-32). And the performance was worse when I was running an 11-34 cassette.

I know it's not unusual to get a bit of hunting in this situation, but in my 20+ years of riding I've never had a drivetrain that was really unmanageable in this situation like this one.

Am wondering if a mid-cage derailleur would be helpful. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dragonhead08 said:
Have tried the barrel adjuster?
Yeah, I've worked on it & I think I have the adjustment dialed in pretty well. All shifts in normal situations are actually very good...except when I have one of those downshift-emergencies on a steep hill. I thought this problem might be typical for the X9 long cage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.