Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this thread should be in Drive Train or here, but it seems that both forums apply.
I noticed that I was getting double shifts on my rockhopper this spring and while putting new tires on the bike ( they really were not that worn, but I wanted a better, lighter tire with less rolling resistance) had a tune up that got the problem fixed. I had been adjusting the rear cable to fix the double shift before the tune up. Now the problem is back.
Is this the proper adjustment or should I adjust in another area?
In trying to analyze what was happening I looked at the chain wear and wear on the rear cassette, but it seems that cable stretch is the most likely culprit. I guess that I should get a book and do some reading, but I learn better by hands on and I know the bike shop is not going to show me how I should do the adjustment.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The reason to buy a book is to learn the proper way to maintain/fix/replace things. Saying that you're hands on doesn't negate the need for a good mtn. bike maintenance book. So go out and buy one. Read the chapter on adjusting your derailleur. If that doesn't work then read the chapter on resolving problems.

The only thing wrong with being just "hands on" is that you spend way too much time trying to figure out the proper way of doing things when you could be riding. Someone else has already solved the problem for you so you could be riding. If you still insist you're better learning hands on then ask yourself " why do I post my problem here only to 'read' what the answer 'might' be?" Buy the book. Knowledge is not only power....

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
If you want a good book, "Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance" is one. Amazon seems to have a couple of different editions.

Shimano and Parktool have some good instructions on their websites.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
my next question was going to be do you have a good easy to understand book to recommend?
and I will look to the two web pages also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.