Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 313 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
16,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang-

It's finally here--the GDR starts on Friday. Dunno yet the exact number of folks that are planning to start, but it seems a lock that we'll have over double the competitors of any previous year.

You can get some idea of what the GDR is about here.

You can read the racers' daily updates here.

And you can find the daily podcasts here.

You can also plow through all of the pre-race scuttlebutt and hullabaloo if you're so inclined.

The blog page will be for racer updates only. Please use this thread to discuss, speculate, encourage and heckle as they roll along the spine of the continent.

Cheers,

MC

·
SUFD
254 Posts
Good luck to all -
and try not to die

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Well Wishes!

May the GDR competitors have the time of their lives and be successful in their endeavors. :)

Can't wait for the next few weeks of "eyes glued to the internet" spectator fun.

Special shout out to Dave Nice. allez! Keep yer clothes on! allez! :p

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Whitefish

The leaders should be rolling through Whitefish right about now. Matt Lee says there is unofficial bragging rights for the first racer into town. That probably means it'll be him, but you never know. Everyone generally hangs out at the convienence store outside of town, with 100 miles down, 2400 (!!) to go.

Looks like there might have been a spot of rain about this afterrnoon, but otherwise a nice day for riding. More serious rain is forecast over the weekend.

Let's hope Tom P's fingers are feeling as fresh -- it's going to be a fair bit of keyboard mashin' for him with 21 racers calling in.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Rich007 said:
BTW, the MTBcast.com has awesome updates. Thanks guys for putting it together. It's really appreciated;)
I'll have to agree here. Big thanks to Joe Polk at mtbcast. His first episode with all the various interviews was very well done and quite interesting. Pretty cool to hear a few words from many of the racers as they are looking down the barrel of the GDR. Thanks for making the trip up there, Joe!

Looks like Pete, Jay and Mike are out ahead, with Matt close behind. Everything changes depending on where and how much everyone slept last night.

Pete sure seems to be flying. Seely Lake is ~242 miles into the route, with barely over 24 hours on the clock. :eek: There are some very flat, easy miles at the beginning of the route, but he's also gone through some slower stuff up on Richmond Hill.

The other leaders may not have gone off-route to Seely, instead opting for Ovando, which is only 30 miles down the road. We may hear from them there instead.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Leader board

Hi all,

I took the liberty of making a table that plots the racers at each call in point.

Find it here:

http://topofusion.com/divide/GDR07.htm

I also included Mike's 2004 record pace at the bottom of the table. Both John N. and Pete B. are right on track with that pace as of the last update.

Accuracy is not guaranteed! If you notice any discrepancies between Tom P's updates and the table, please email me at smorris AT topofusion.com and I'll fix it. I will try to update it once a day or so.

There are still some folks we haven't heard from yet. :confused:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Krein said:
Hi all,

I took the liberty of making a table that plots the racers at each call in point.

Find it here:

I also included Mike's 2004 record pace at the bottom of the table. Both John N. and Pete B. are right on track with that pace as of the last update.

Accuracy is not guaranteed! If you notice any discrepancies between Tom P's updates and the table, please email me at smorris AT topofusion.com and I'll fix it. I will try to update it once a day or so.

There are still some folks we haven't heard from yet. :confused:
Hey Scott, this table is great:cool: , thanks for making it up!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
davidarnott said:
Anyone know whats going on with Nathan Bay?
Looks like we just got a recent update and Nathan made it to Seely Lake at 1:30pm today (sunday).

It should be interesting with John Nobile's mechanical. Hopefully it won't slow him down too much but it seems like he'll loose precious time.

Go Jay!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks like jay and pete are into butte a little over 3 hours ahead of mike's record pace! i have a feeling these two are going to be seeing a lot of each other throughout this ride.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Love it

Inspired (as always). I've been tinkering all day playing "what if". Hard to imagine snow with temperatures in the 90s here though!

Go Dave! Go everyone!

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
I wanna see it in person

Boy do I love this shtuff!! The write-ups and mtbcast are addictive and incredibly inspiring -and it's only day three. Thanks.

Even the missus has gotten the bug (not all that surpising really) and we are thinking about doing a camping trip with the 10-month old to cheer on the some of the riders. Anybody have suggestions for a good spot to see the non-stop-action ;) close to the front-range here in CO. We may not even see anybody, but a sign on the side of trail would go a long way if it were me.

Thanks again.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
grroes said:
Looks like jay and pete are into butte a little over 3 hours ahead of mike's record pace! i have a feeling these two are going to be seeing a lot of each other throughout this ride.
Yep, and they will likely jump quite a bit ahead of his pace at the next few call-in spots. Mike had to wait for the Outdoorsman (awesome bike shop in Butte that has always helped lost GDR souls) to open. That cost him some serious time, and it's reflected in his Wise River split.

Sounds like it paid to be fast, avoiding the big snow storm on Richmond Hill.

Good stuff. Thanks for all the transcribing, Tom!

Oh, I updated the table as of Matt's last call in (between Helena and Butte).

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
goldenboy said:
Anybody have suggestions for a good spot to see the non-stop-action ;) close to the front-range here in CO. We may not even see anybody, but a sign on the side of trail would go a long way if it were me.

Thanks again.
Matthew sounds right on schedule to hit the Colorado border around mid day Friday. Maybe Jay and Pete will be close behind.
If you wanted to set up a camp site to the west of Steamboat Lake on FSR 42 (the road up Sand Mountain and to California Park) Its right on the GDR route. If I were you I'd set up camp on Thursday afternoon to make sure you dont miss any of the excitement.

There are also some nice (fee area) camp sites south of Steamboat on Lynx/Gore pass that are right on the GDR route.
I will be heading north of Steamboat on my bike this weekend to see if I can stumble across anyone.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Go JayP! Way to stir up the early portion of the race and maintain the fast pace!

The MTBCast is awesome, thanks!
Scott, the table is a great visual too, thanks!

1 - 20 of 313 Posts