Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain High
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Montbell sleeping bag in today - 1lb 6oz. Almost thought the box was empty! Combine that with the Tarptent (1lb 12oz) and a sleeping pad (1lb 6oz) and I think I like the weights so far. Random question for the vets:

Knowing that paces and so forth differ, how many opportunities do you think there are to stay in hotels along the way? Is it a rare occurrence to hit one in the evenings, or do you find yourself with a decent amount of possible stays? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hotels are surprisingly prevalent at race-pace but rarely is timing perfect. Go for every 4th or 5th night if possible.

My advice: Avoid the temptation whenever you can. My experience has been that you waste time when you get caught up in civilization. Think of towns as crucial "technical situations" in the race to be negotiated quickly and tactically. Race by convenience store mantra: Stab-n-Grab, Hit it-Quit it, Kum and Go.

A short list on why to get out of Dodge:
-towns detract from the true "tour divide" experience
-the more frequently you use them the more lonely you feel, IMO
-Divide Route towns are expensive/very few offer dirt cheap dives
-luxury/spoils one night might sap motivation for the next 3,4 w/out.
-their stimuli detract from time sleeping
-communication w/ loved ones=easy....=homesickness/depression

In sum, avoid the GDR rollercoasters; emotional, physical, climatological, and so on.

**One exception: If a hotel is just out of reach of your projected day's ride, motivation to get to that bed/shower might be helpful to pushing through the darkness.

·
Rocky Mountain High
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt! This gives me some perspective. I sense each racer will react differently to race issues/conditions/choices, but your thoughts make sense. I'm not so much counting on staying in hotels constantly, but would like the option. :)

·
Student of the Bike
811 Posts
Saint John said:
Got my Montbell sleeping bag in today - 1lb 6oz. Almost thought the box was empty! Combine that with the Tarptent (1lb 12oz) and a sleeping pad (1lb 6oz) and I think I like the weights so far. Random question for the vets:
St John- which Montbell (& sleeping pad) did you get? I just got my Contrail Tarptent and I'm trying to decide if I should "invest" in a new sleeping bag. I've got an older Marmot that is good down to 40* (down filled). I'm trying to decide if Synthetic is wise (due to rain possibilty) or if colder is wise (30-32*) or lighter is the deciding factor. My bag weighs in at 2lbs 8oz.

I've also been quite impressed with the reviews I've seen on the Big Agnes blow up sleeping pads.
Thanks,
CJB

·
Rocky Mountain High
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1101&hinban=2321674

I went non-super stretch for cost, warmth and weight. 32*F bag.

CBaron said:
St John- which Montbell (& sleeping pad) did you get? I just got my Contrail Tarptent and I'm trying to decide if I should "invest" in a new sleeping bag. I've got an older Marmot that is good down to 40* (down filled). I'm trying to decide if Synthetic is wise (due to rain possibilty) or if colder is wise (30-32*) or lighter is the deciding factor. My bag weighs in at 2lbs 8oz.

I've also been quite impressed with the reviews I've seen on the Big Agnes blow up sleeping pads.
Thanks,
CJB

·
Registered
320 Posts
the aca maps have it all

for hotels, svc info, support ACA, join and get the maps cheaper.

guerilla-style "can i sleep in your barn" methods are great too. sometimes you can even get a shower out of it...or a potluck.

on bags, go down-filled and go new. the r-factor or whatever they measure warmth by is very high on a new bag. it's a good +10 deg. warmer than what is rated on a website.

i have used a 32 degree bag and was often too hot, sweating inside the bag until the core-temp drops hours later. one's body temp is elevated during the world class slumming/recovery that goes on after day two on the GDR so keeping warm at night is no biggie. 1.5lbs is the heaviest bag i would use.

this one pounder is perfect in my estimation: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=4&prod=995&cat=45&viewAll=False

it might be rated only 45 but i promise you when its new, its good to 32. this is true of most brands down-filled models (until you compress loft over time).

·
Rocky Mountain High
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I've had the maps for quite some time now. They do a great job explaining the services, etc....it's just hard to gauge when you'll hit these.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Average Speed

The data that are worth their weight in gold include average speed...or projecting what average speed will be for a given section. it's highly variable throughout. this is where route rookies tend to "overshoot" on daily goals. the only way to glean this info is to study exhaustively the descriptions for given sections in "cycling the great divide" and chart your efforts on paper based on the difficulty of a given stretch. also read the past race blogs.

pay close attention to labels like "lots of climbing" and "impassable when wet". the climbing is every bit and more than what is described and they truly mean "impassable" when when describing the mud.

this is why charting hotel stays is pretty tough to do. flexibility is so key.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Umm, they discuss wind, er uh, air bags?

If you had pedaled the divide route last year after july 1st you could have demonstrated proper j-stroke. some of it was class V chocolatewater.

this thread probably belongs under the official GDR thread
. if you go there (or to the Divide Race site), the links are there.

·
Student of the Bike
811 Posts
mathewsen said:
....after day two on the GDR.....
Mathewsen- I'm aiming for the Colorado Trail race. Would you think the same would apply in that event locale? I know its similar in region but I'm unawware if it will be higher elevation (or not) or more suseptible to bad weather.
Thansk,
CBaron

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Ummmm

CBaron said:
Mathewsen- I'm aiming for the Colorado Trail race. Would you think the same would apply in that event locale? I know its similar in region but I'm unawware if it will be higher elevation (or not) or more suseptible to bad weather.
Thansk,
CBaron
Co trail there are more opportunities for getting stuck at tree line.... freak snow, lightning, ect.. If you pay attention should be good to go with that stuff but might have an extra laer for co trail....
just my .02

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.