Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
hate to piss on your campfire but the holy grail of dropper posts already came out: the reverb.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
b-kul said:
hate to piss on your campfire but the holy grail of dropper posts already came out: the reverb.
The Reverb won't be the holy grail until they work the bugs out. RockShox has a long history of releasing products a year or two before they are reliable, but at least they are good about providing free upgrades.

I modded a v-brake noodle (cut off the arrowhead end), looks very similar to this new adapter.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
b-kul said:
The reverb is nice, but the Holy Grail IMHO would also have:
- Cable/hose on the fixed side like the Gravity
- KS style button mount that isn't perched above the bars like the Reverb

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
car_nut said:
- KS style button mount that isn't perched above the bars like the Reverb
many people are running the remote on the opposite side upside down and liking it a lot.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
theres not a ton of people with the reverb yet but i see no reason it cant be done. just run the clamp next to your grip and the remote should be near where your thumb shifts gears.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
b-kul said:
theres not a ton of people with the reverb yet but i see no reason it cant be done. just run the clamp next to your grip and the remote should be near where your thumb shifts gears.
I hope you're right, as I'd really like to run it like that. I just don't think there is room for the remote to fit with the shifter levers(I'm using SRAM x7's).

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
car_nut said:
I hope you're right, as I'd really like to run it like that. I just don't think there is room for the remote to fit with the shifter levers(I'm using SRAM x7's).
how do you run your brakes and shifters? i have like an inch between the end of my grip and brake clamp. then comes the shifter next to the brake clamp. the reverb remote is only like .25'' thick. plenty of room in most cases.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been running my GD turbo with a flexi v-brake noodle

I've also been using a lever from a KS 9500i post which is another very worthwhile mod IMO. These levers double as ODI clamps so save on a bit of a real estate, they are also way more comfortable on the hand than the GD lever. They do not fit properly however, needed to hack with a grub screw to hold the cable in place (it's expecting a cable end which doesn't exist - coz it's at the post end on the GD). Anyway, no issues keeping the cable in place for the last 6months or so....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm surprised Gravity Dropper haven't updated a few of their parts. Cable routing on the GD Turbo does suck by default. Most users seem to have hacked something together to fix it. The TRIDDesign adapter does look neat. I reckon GD should include something similar by default. Also, the GD lever really sucks. It's in dire need of an update too.

They really need to polish up the whole look of the posts too. The industrial look does put quite a few punters off. These aren't important details to me. What counts is their posts work first and foremost. I've been using my GD Turbo for nearly 4years now and it's been awesome. To some people though, aesthetics count, and these people are probably steering clear of the GD posts and are probably on their 3rd or 4th Speedball/Joplin as a result.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
b-kul said:
how do you run your brakes and shifters? i have like an inch between the end of my grip and brake clamp. then comes the shifter next to the brake clamp. the reverb remote is only like .25'' thick. plenty of room in most cases.
I have plenty of room to run the remote on the top, but I don't think it is going to fit on the bottom along with a shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Reverb is the holy grail? Really? Seems to be getting some good fan fare but lets give it a year- heck lets give it more than half a year see where we are- many things equate to make something the holy grail and price is one of them. And the Reverb and there yet.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
GD holy grail? Hardly. Maverick Speedball, was a break thru. Now everyone is improving from the visionary design. As troublesome as SB was it's still performs better than some current available ones.

GD is good because most Hydro available (now) are either 30.9 or 31.6. KS i7 is the only Hydro that will be available soon. Reverb looks good, though I prefer my remote on the left side but I'm using remote on both side so I don't care. KS has the best remote by far now and second by Maverick design.

All and I mean all of the adj posts available now have problem(s) it just up to the users who prefer one over the other. I just don't like predetermine height adj, and GD's performance effected most by how you tighten the post, saddle angle adjustment is limited as I bent 2 bolts on the rear already on my slacker seat tube angle, and the remote does it have to look that bad?

So far I like KS the most, for one thing they keep improving, from internal, to remotes, to housing, and seatrail(TBD), soon 27.2 size. Usually when the certain product is hot, there's no need to keep upgrading the parts and accessories, but they do, that's why they have my business. :thumbsup:

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Guy.Ford said:
WOW you peeps take ***** far to seriously its just a thread title people and honestly I only did it to get attention to the post, which seems to have worked, thanks!

As for all the GD h8rs, whatevs, I prefer the GD you dont thats cool. Ive had mine for 3 yrs and zero issues, yeah the trigger could be better, but it works for my application so I have no reason to waste $ on trying to fix what already works.
Haters? Hardly:D I own 2 GDs, and AMP. a few others. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think the OP meant that the holy grail FOR the GD was found not that the GD was the holy grail - b-kul was the one that stated that the holy grail of dropper posts was the Reverb. Which I refute - but thats my opinion and that is his.

GDs been doin it a long time - have a good product that has met a need for years. Glad to see the upgrade for the GD.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Seems like a simpler solution would be to use a longer cable and turn the seat post around 180 degrees.

I sold my GD 3 position and got a KS which sticks sometimes but I still like infinite adjustments and 5" travel MUCH better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts