Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding my trusted RFX with my buddies this afternoon. Just mounted my bike and about to enter the next trail, when I hear this popping sound, like a spoke snapped. Quick look around and everything looks normal...

Approaching the first decsent, I lower my GD, but it won't stay down. I stop and look - everything looks intact. Then I operate the lever, manually compressing and extending the post - and it pops all the way out of the outer tube! :eek:

A closer inspection reveals that the plastic top cap has failed, so there's nothing preventing the inner tube from falling off when the tube is extended. The loose part of the top cap was probably interfering and preventing the pin from sliding into the lower hole position.

When I was shopping for an adjustable seatpost I was reading reviews on this product, and some folks were indicating a few inner posts broke at the hole, but I have never seen/heard of this type of failure before.
I've had this post since Sep-07, and the website says it comes with a 6 month limited warranty. Bummer...

Has anyone had this happen to him? Looking at the inner tube it looks like there's no easy way to remove/replace just the broken top cap (riveted rails at one end, metal shoulder at the other...). Do I need to raplace the entire inner tube assembly? the entire seatpost???:confused:

Attachments

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
I've seen this type of breakage, and every other kind of breakage that can occur with a GD, as all of my buddies have them. Call Wayne at GD. He'll take care of you. For $18.00 he'll put new cables on, and fix your issue, regardless of the stated warranty. GD's CS is as good as they come. I've seen these posts come back from warranty with an aluminum collar to replace the nylon one. You may want to inquire about it. Here's an oldy but a goody, just to ease your mind.....

Attachments

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,115 Posts
El Chingon's correct. GD is returning service repaired older GD's with the new aluminum collars, replacing the old plastic one. I sent mine in about a month ago for service and it was returned with the new collar without asking.
I believe the service cost was $15 plus $5.50 and they replaced the cable, housing, cleaned it, regrease and replaced the collar with a new one. They turned it around in 4 days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I emailed Wayne/Lawrence @GD...

They will send me the replacement parts (new aluminum top cap and shims) so I can do the repair myself (quickest turnaround as I live in Israel).
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that this is still a warranty item, so parts and shipping are free!

1-2 weeks for shipping, and my GD should be back in order.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Took my GD that had I been using with a shim on another bike to put on the new Turner. Turns out the post even though stamped 27.2 was actually a 27.0 that had slipped through, They admitted their mistake but would sell me a new outer for $180 or they are offered me a 10% off a new one which is still more than what CRC are selling them for. Disappointed in the GD CS after hearing good things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.