Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks! Not sure exactly were that's at but since I ride there weekly I'm sure I'll come across your handy work soon. My group is thinking of clearing some of the larger rocks off Ridgeline. Nothing major. Just kicking a few to the side so nobody endos at speed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
link doesnt work for me signed up for flickr. Throw down a little info so that I may admire your handywork next time. I was just out there this morning

·
mogul
37 Posts
awesome work! i ride MTRP all the time since its practically my backyard, some of those trails definitely need work. usually on the climbs i will stop and clear some loose rocks out if its a hairy section. there is definitely a lot of potential for sick lines out there

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just fixed a section

fatty los said:
link doesnt work for me signed up for flickr. Throw down a little info so that I may admire your handywork next time. I was just out there this morning
Shoot I thought "the public" could see that picture. Well basically on the first climb of this trail there was a section abbot 3/4 of the way up that was falling and erroding down the hill.

I sured it up with large boulders then moved the section of single track over a bit.

I wonder why you can't see the image it was posted for public viewing on flickr witch I think means anyone can see it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks for your effort! God knows the place could use it. I guess the semi-legal status of some trails makes it harder to organize larger trail-work initiatives.

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
I know that spot. Didn't see it this weekend though as I went South-East. Thanks for your effort :thumbsup:

Love MTRP, Martha's, Sycamore and all the areas between Miramar, Santee, Poway, Lakeside, Ramona.... Heck everywhere in San Diego County is a blast as long as I'm on a bike :D .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks all

Thanks for the thanks. I had the time and the gumption. I was out there this morning.

Good times.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Came across your work on tonight's ride. Great job!!!

·
not so 1337 mtbr member
125 Posts
Yeah its fun out there. I have been out there twice now. I haven't ridden any of the trails other than Spring Canyon though. So being it our 2nd time up there we uh hiked up the fire road to the top of the ridge and on the way up we saw the Singletrack we were suppose to take OOPS. Road the ridge to the gate and came back around and went back down. The very top coming down was a little too much for us but we got to a spot where we felt comfortable riding and rode out. Sooooo much fun even though I ran into a ditch once ha. I wanna go again but this time put the right amount of air in my tire so I dont get a pinch flat.

n00bs hiking up the fire road :bluefrown:

Very top

The gate

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like it's holding up well

I road the 10 mile loop today and for the first time was able to do both climbs without a stop or a dab. :D I road Noble Canyon on Tuesday so I guess my legs were like "no problem."

Anyway that section of trail I worked on looks like it is holding up well to the traffic.

I don't know the name of that loop I do but it's all smiles for me and a great workout. Now at the end on my way back down towards mission george I'll hang a right at the 5k loop and grind up that really steep hill just for some more abuse.

Good times

·
Who's riding today?
1,419 Posts
There are several trails in the MTRP "east" area.

Spring has 2 canyons on the east that branch off, as well as two to the west. The two on the east are "Herbivore" and "Carnivore". There is a story behind the names, only to be told while ON THE TRAIL. Those two connect at their respective "ends", or can be used to transition to other trail east (*more on that below).

On the west side of Spring Canyon (a LEFT as you go UP), there is "Western" (thats what it's referred to by the group I ride with), approx. 6/10th of a mile north of hwy 52. The 2nd way up to the ridge that separates Spring & Oak Canyons is "Barrels" or Rusty Barrels". Once you gain access to the ridge that divides the two canyons, there are 3 choice trails to descend into Oak canyon. The southern most is the "Exposed Ramp", it is approx. 1/4 mile SOUTH of the top of "Western". The second and middle route is "Mr Toads" (yes, a common name for an aptly named trail) found about 100 yards SOUTH of the eucalyptus trees and the last trail dropping into Oak is "Tread" or what we refer to as "The Bracelet".

Once a rider is in Oak canyon, it is either a left or right (south or north). North to the end is a "walk up" called "Brake Failure" or "The waterfall" trail. Not the hardiest soul I know can ride UP, many a well balanced and experienced can ride down (I'm not one that does). If a south bound turn is made one can get out of Oak.

Using all the trails described, one can make various routes to create 15-20 miles rides with very little overlap. Avoid making contact at all cost (well, don't die over it) with the Marine that pretend to be protecting our trails.:nonod:

*Now, just to mix things up a bit, after you figure out how much fun and how good we have it here in MTRP "east", get more new dirt under your tires and connect up with Sycamore Canyon. There are several way to make the transition. Sycamore is our other beauty that has miles and miles of choices to, as we say, "get your ride on".:yesnod:

Now go zoom in with google earth on the subj area, take a good look. Many of the trails mentioned are NOW VISABLE!!! Pack lots of water and have a great time. And I'm NOT horse'n around! :nono:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great info CEB. I have been riding MTRP east 2-3 times a week for a few years and never knew so much about it. I started just going out and back (North-South) for about a 9 mile ride. Then when I built up the courage went up and over what I think is the "waterfall trail" and came back on the west side for about a 12 mile loop. Its tough for me to get over there, but it is like another world. So fun! One of these days I want to learn how to connect to Sycamore.

Always cool people out on these trails. Nice work Frogeye! See ya out there. I think I hit the same climb after my rides. Short, Steep, and slippery.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you wanna check out Sycamore the Zumwalt's group is doing "The Quad" ride tomorrow. We're meeting at the dirt parking lot near Westview off of Mast at 6:00. We're doing the west switchbacks up to the fire road, down into Martha's, up the fire road to the second gate, down One Way, then up Cardiac, down Mini Noble, out Martha's, and then back up the east switchbacks. Should be around 18-20 miles with 4 good climbs. That's why it's called "The Quad". Bring a light and plenty of water!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wish I could. I have plans tomorrow, plus I am not used to riding at night and that would be a pretty big ride for me. Maybe one of these Thursdays I'll try to meet up with you guys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts