Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried, and I'm going back.

A lot of people claim its so stiff that it rides poorly... I didn't notice that. I didnt notice anything at all. Im 210lb, so its not like im so light stuff isnt flexing. I went with E13 carbon SL's, at 380g, so I got some weight savings over my ARC24/27 combo. Its no faster climbing. Its no faster accelerating.

The only thing is that now, I have a 450 dollar rim im swinging around into sharp rocks, and that sketches me out. I've dented nearly every single rim I've owned, I dont expect this one to somehow be different.

Ill take back the aluminum rims and deal with the 40g. Im probably going to eat 10 times that in cookies anyway, im sure it'll be fine ;)

There might be a catch. I get bike parts for nuts cheap. I think if I actually shelled out the $900 retail price of these things there might have been a psychological component involved that made them feel faster, but I paid a shrug-worthy amount for them and built them myself. I tossed it on and sort of forgot it was even there, and my ride went unnoticed and no different than usual.

Your experience may vary, but thats mine. I'll pass from here forward! DT makes crazy good aluminum rims these days, and these easton/RF arcs are pretty badass too. If you cant swing the price of carbon, I wouldnt sweat it.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Ill take back the aluminum rims and deal with the 40g. Im probably going to eat 10 times that in cookies anyway, im sure it'll be fine ;)
You might be faster all carbo-loaded. ;)

Yeah that's my experience too... but similarly, i buy parts through my industry friends, so i don't really care. Carbon rims are nice to build though.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
At 210 lbs, I would not recommend ridding a 380 gram wheel, no matter what the material. And if we are talking about 27.5 or 29" wheels, I would say that is down right crazy. And even a420 gram aluminum wheel in 27.5 or 29" is too light. 210 is a lot.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At 210 lbs, I would not recommend ridding a 380 gram wheel, no matter what the material. And if we are talking about 27.5 or 29" wheels, I would say that is down right crazy. And even a420 gram aluminum wheel in 27.5 or 29" is too light. 210 is a lot.
Are you calling me fat!? ... alright, thats fair. :lol: Anyone 200+ is rough on gear.

I rolled the dice on my 430g arc24. I was fully expecting to ruin it. Its held up. The arc27 is around 480g and its solid. These are 27.5 wheels. Watching that video of a pro finish a DH course on a bare dt swiss XM rim changed my opinion on modern rims. The lighter stuff holds up crazy better than it used to. If he can smash a DH course on a bare rim, I can run 30psi and kinda take it easy.

I used to ruin 500g 26er rims alllllll the time. I started running reasonable pressures and its hardly an issue. Ill get some dents, but not ruining stuff anymore.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Are you calling me fat!? ... alright, thats fair. :lol: Anyone 200+ is rough on gear.

I rolled the dice on my 430g arc24. I was fully expecting to ruin it. Its held up. The arc27 is around 480g and its solid. These are 27.5 wheels. Watching that video of a pro finish a DH course on a bare dt swiss XM rim changed my opinion on modern rims. The lighter stuff holds up crazy better than it used to. If he can smash a DH course on a bare rim, I can run 30psi and kinda take it easy.

I used to ruin 500g 26er rims alllllll the time. I started running reasonable pressures and its hardly an issue. Ill get some dents, but not ruining stuff anymore.
I think 480 is pretty good for a 27.5 rim. With good spokes, that could easily be a 800 gram from wheel, which is not terrible. Solid in my mind.

I have been running carbon 26 wheels on my 5-spot for almost 3.5 years. Those things have held up everything I have thrown at them without any issue.

200+ is fat. And yes, I am above 200 lbs as well! 209.9 exactly. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I am 170 lbs and just broke a Reynolds TRS carbon wheel. Lifetime warranty on them and I am currently waiting to get it back. I bought a used set of DT Swiss M1700s to run while I am waiting for Reynolds to get it repaired. I can't tell much of a difference at all in weight. I got a really good deal on the Reynolds set that was hard to pass up but I don't think I would spend the money on carbon again. What I really miss is 72 points of engagement. The DT 350 hub SUCKS!

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont get it. You're fat, slow, and aren't articulating a reason why you're going back, but still sharing it. Why? Fear? Put some air in your tires.
My arcs have nicer hubs. If they ride the same, I'm not keeping the worse hub. If they were amazingly different it would make sense to shrug off the hub, but they're really not.

I can dump it off now before I chip them and come out ahead.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm 175 pounds and I will ride sub 300g carbon rims. They don't dent and it takes a mega hard hit to break them. I will not ride alloy rims unless they are so cheap to replace that I just don't care. Alloy rims are always denting, one ride, dented to hell. I've broken a total of 1 carbon rim on an MTB and 2 on a CX bike.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Nicer hubs are a good point, but it doesn't have anything to do with the rim material. I look at the lighter wheels as part of the system. Add up all the light parts and it does make a difference. Just buy some light rims on junky hubs, not so much. Hubs are one of the most important parts of the bicycle.

I build up a set of carbon wheels, go for a 20 minute ride, and they're already gouged by flying rocks. It doesn't matter; they're still functional for years. Wouldn't ever buy name brand carbon unless it was a smoking deal.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
I think you’re doing it wrong. Get something with nice hubs and a no questions asked warranty, the difference in feel and snap is real.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The carbon wheels are on xtr hubs. They're not exactly cheap or bad hubs. It's actually extremely nice! But, no XD driver on Shimano hubs, and I want an XD driver. Or at least the option. I like my loud ass 44pt hopes too.

I don't think the difference in snap is real. So many people say otherwise, despite all the science showing otherwise. Had to feel for myself, and im siding with the science.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I've had no issues on any carbon rims I've built.

220 lb, 6'0".

I do however, run 24 psi on my Remedy (26mm internal), and 25 psi on my Scarp (25mm internal.)
I do not rim strike.

I DO notice a tremendous wheel stiffness difference between aluminum and carbon rims. The carbon rims track and hold lines better.

Reactions: Rngspnr

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What aluminum rims? I had some kom 23's that I felt didn't hold a line too well. Years ago I had sun eq23s that were just scary. Crests? Lol. My arc27 is significantly stiffer and tracks great, I don't think I left much room for stiffness improvement. Curious if you left a known stiff aluminum rim for stiff carbon.

The guys who were running noodles like crests, sure, carbon is going to feel like a game changer.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So far the stiffest, most durable aluminum rim I have used is Spank Oozy 345s. All the features; oohbah corrugated center thingy makes tubeless easy/strong rim and beadbite seems to keep tires locked out, they have built into are great too. Their claimed weight seems heavy at 520g each, but they shrug off my stupid fat ass (read 206 lbs) trying dumb crap and riding worse. I would like a lighter rim, but not at the cost of durability. The vibrocore versions seems cool if it does make the rim act like a carbon one, but it costs more weight.

WTB's KOM and Frequency were decent. I had those as a front/rear combo. I still flat-spotted the Frequency because it was on the rear of my hardtail. Also blew the front tire off the bead while landing a jump on a Frequency rim. I paid the price with an grade 2 AC separation.

Stan's are absolute ****. I can't help not to cuss about how soft those rims are. I beat the flex out of both Flows and Flow EXs. They just became octagons at the very least. No reason for me to even try their mk3 rim.

DTSwiss has a good reputation for being a strong rim, but it would be hard pressed to get me away from Oozys.

Also, I haven't really gone low on psi in my tires. I still the often controversial 27-28 in the front and 28-29 in the rear even my rims have gotten wider.

A pound of cookies is always a great warmup for a ride.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
Funny, I'm reading this thread after replacing my DT Swiss E1900 wheelset for a Revin E29 carbon set. The character of my bike has changed dramatically. With the DT Swiss 2.35 tires would rub the chainstays when cornering or accelerating, or breathing too hard. With the carbons I can run 2.5s or even 2.6s with no issues and the bike is super responsive. And to think I was contemplating replacing the frame because the bike was so lifeless and dull handling, and it was just the wheels that were the problem. . . .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.