Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have been waiting for the mud to dry up in Cheseboro, it has a long way to go. Fortunately, aside from the numerous water crossings and a BIG patch of mud, the rest of the trails in there are in great shape.

I hit Cheseboro to Sulfur Springs to Shepherds Flat, up to Lookout, back to Shepherds Flat, down Gaspipe towards Las Virgines, over the singletrack connector to Pumphill, up Pumphill, up Cheseboro Ridge, down Canyon View and out.

Sulfur Springs hasn't change much, other than the washout in the beginning and a multitude of water crossings. The short technical pitches are unchanged. The stretch up to Lookout is the same as always.

The short route between Shepherds and the top of Gaspipe is pretty torn up with some alternate routes around the mud holes. FYI: it is all rideable. The ride down Gaspipe was great. The loose stuff has washed away and the usual lines have changed just enough to keep you on your toes. The bottom is basically a streambed ride. More fun than annoying.
And the ride towards Pumphill has a few extra water crossings that aren't very deep.

Then the work started. Aside from the fact that I was doing this ride on my singlespeed, the singletrack connector to Pumphill is completely overgrown. It is easy to miss the turnoff due to 6-7 foot high brush. I had to bushwack my way through the dense, tick-infested mustard plant and thistle. Holy Cow there was a lot of thistle! I just kept my head down and my fingers pressed behind my brake levers while I pedaled at a snail's pace.

I was sure I would be clear once I reached Pumphill. WRONG! What was once a doubletrack fireroad is now an overgrown singletrack with 6 ft+ tall mustard plant and thistle. Ugh! I plowed through up to the big oak tree where I rested a moment and pulled a few ticks off my body.

Another 50 ft and I found a couple abandoned mountain bikes laying in the weeds. By the looks of the oversized gel saddles, plastic pedals and stock parts, I figured these were a couple of newbies that had no idea that they were closer to civilization than they realized and decided to hike it out.

I called out numerous times while grinding up the climb, but nobody responded. The rest of the ride was uneventful with excellent trail conditions. The next time I'm out there, I may have to bring the loppers to resurrect the singletrack connector.
Happy trails.

·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lmnop said:
Thanks for the update.

Any info on the status of the Bell Canyon singletrack?
I haven't heard anything on BC. Judging by the condition of the other two I mentioned, I'd say BC is virtually unrideable at this time. It is usually the last one in the park to get any attention.
I know the trail has been adopted by volunteers for trail maintenance, but it's fairly remote and difficult to reach for those on foot. I'd say we need to ride in with equipment and clear it out. I have a Bob trailer....

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
We visited the top of Gaspipe yesterday and saw one tire track over the (*&*(& horse prints. Must have been you. Some of the rocks we used to fill up a ditch held up. We're waiting for Edison to plow the roads of weeds before attempting more of this.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
How rutted is Gaspipes? Are there many cross-trail ruts (I still suck at those)? Also, is the streambed at the bottom flooded? I haven't ridden the main canyon ever since a nightmare night ride up the lookout a few weeks after the rains. Lately, I've just been going up Chesebro Ridge to the Sheep Corral trail, then up to the lookout and finally down Palo. It's getting kinda boring.

I don't even remember the last time I did Bell Canyon/Marbles. There was one section that I'm betting must have completely colapsed into the ravine from the rains.

·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warthog said:
How rutted is Gaspipes? Are there many cross-trail ruts (I still suck at those)? Also, is the streambed at the bottom flooded? I haven't ridden the main canyon ever since a nightmare night ride up the lookout a few weeks after the rains. Lately, I've just been going up Chesebro Ridge to the Sheep Corral trail, then up to the lookout and finally down Palo. It's getting kinda boring.

I don't even remember the last time I did Bell Canyon/Marbles. There was one section that I'm betting must have completely colapsed into the ravine from the rains.
Gaspipe kinda surprised me. Not because of extensive damage, but more because of how well some areas held up so well and others got pummeled. The first technical descent is in fantastic condition. I generally take the high left side. The right is always so soft. Now the right is hard packed and fast. The left is still the same.

The usual rutted sections are pretty much the same. A few new lines have developed and a few old ones have disappeared. There's even a foot wide crack that runs perpendicular to the trail that appears out of nowhere. I managed to pull the front end up and wheelie over it, then pulled the rear wheel up and over. Keep your eyes open because there are some real wheel-suckers in there now.

The rocky descent that is proceeded by a hard right turn is a bit more challenging. I've always taken the high right side and jumped the first set of rocks. Then cross over to the left about 3/4 the way down and cut to the right turn...well the high right is a bit more challenging for a hardtail than it used to be. Let's just say it got real interesting when I got my front wheel stuck in the rut as I crossed to the left. The bike decided to stay back and watch while I tried to finish the turn on my arse.

The streambeds at the bottom have water, but all were rideable. I don't like to get my drivetrain or hubs wet so I rode through cautiously.

Just stay on your toes and it's all good.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Upchuck said:
I haven't heard anything on BC. Judging by the condition of the other two I mentioned, I'd say BC is virtually unrideable at this time. It is usually the last one in the park to get any attention.
I know the trail has been adopted by volunteers for trail maintenance, but it's fairly remote and difficult to reach for those on foot. I'd say we need to ride in with equipment and clear it out. I have a Bob trailer....
I don't think BC gets any attention. I rode the Chute to PowerLine passing the BC entrance. It looked OK from there, and really how much worse can the rocky stream crossing get? :) What keeps me away now are the ticks, we need some clearing or some heat to dry those suckers up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts