Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Set phasers on stun.

Hold up on buying gasoline for a week, and the price could drop by an average 16 cents a gallon nationwide. If you fill up a Ford Expedition, that's a nifty $5.36 in savings.

Gasoline prices have been sliding steadily for several weeks, and they're promising to get even cheaper as crude prices fall and the U.S. moves into the summer driving season. Near Houston, in areas surrounded by refineries, the price is about $2 a gallon, according to data from GasBuddy.com.

Woohoo!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...plunge-at-the-pump/ar-AACFQcR?ocid=spartanntp

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
my wife is shopping for a Prius Hybrid. gah! i'm trying to push up up the scale with a new Rav4, which is surprisingly badass.

her current rig of super unleaded and 20mpg is getting old.
I saw the RAV4 ad and was like woah - they've come a long way! - I think there's even a TRD version.

In hindsight, my remark is kinda jerkish and hypocritical. I just bought a 1991 4Runner for cheap that will run for another 100k. It is a Hybrid in chromatic sense, however - Lots of different colored body parts!. The new tow hitch I put on last weekend and the OneUp USA rack I'm about to get for it will cost more than I paid!

Reuse! caw caw

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
my wife is shopping for a Prius Hybrid. gah! i'm trying to push up up the scale with a new Rav4, which is surprisingly badass.

her current rig of super unleaded and 20mpg is getting old.
If you are still shipping for a car can I suggest the BMW i3? You can get them used for under $20K. You want the 2017+ with the Generator in the back. They call this a range extender. We just got one a month ago and it's awesome. Has 100+ miles of Electric range and then the Generator kicks in a 6% so you never actually run out of range. You just buy gas if you need it but so far I've only seen the Generator kicks in once. The car is hella ugly but it functions very well. Very quick zippy car that you just get in and go. The No gas to deal with is super convenient and I think the Generator is a BMW 600cc motto motor that only needs service annually. Anyways...it's an awesome car and great value used.
I'm installing the tow hitch on it so I can attached my bike carrior and use this car instead of my bigass ram 3500 for weekend bike rides.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
they also only rose to $4. Its not a single factor by any means but it is a contributing factor like end of the school year, and holidays that fall on the ends of weeks and the weather.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
hybrid as in pushing, towing and driving..JK. Ive had 3 of those and they seem to run a good long time as long as the maintenance is kept up. The 2nd gens are great 3.4L transplant candidates..

·
190lbs of climber
1,544 Posts
I never understood the panic around gas prices. They always interview people before holidays...

------
So, gas is $4/gal, will this change your vacation plans?

"Yeah, money is tight, we'll probably stay closer to home"
------

Maybe I'm just out of touch, but at $4 vs $3, on a three tank round trip long weekend in a 20 gallon American gas hog, that's $60 difference. If just $60 is the make or break on doing a trip, should you really be doing that trip in the first place? Americans are so terrible with finances. People will drive a mile or more out of their way and wait ten minutes in line for a gas station that is 20 cents a gallon cheaper, all to save $4. While they're there, they'll spend $4 on a Monster drink and $9 on a tiny package of jerky.

Crazy town. If two gas stations are across the street from each other, I'll go to the cheaper one, otherwise, I just pay whatever the price is at the exit I end up taking.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
I never understood the panic around gas prices. They always interview people before holidays...

------
So, gas is $4/gal, will this change your vacation plans?

"Yeah, money is tight, we'll probably stay closer to home"
------

Maybe I'm just out of touch, but at $4 vs $3, on a three tank round trip long weekend in a 20 gallon American gas hog, that's $60 difference. If just $60 is the make or break on doing a trip, should you really be doing that trip in the first place? Americans are so terrible with finances. People will drive a mile or more out of their way and wait ten minutes in line for a gas station that is 20 cents a gallon cheaper, all to save $4. While they're there, they'll spend $4 on a Monster drink and $9 on a tiny package of jerky.

Crazy town. If two gas stations are across the street from each other, I'll go to the cheaper one, otherwise, I just pay whatever the price is at the exit I end up taking.
For a working family that needs to commute to where the jobs are (rarely near the affordable housing) to put food on the table and pay for health care for their kids, a dollar a gallon can put the hurt on. I'm older now and slight better off, but even as recently at the meltdown in 2009, **** was hard for me and my fam. If anyone told me maybe I shouldn't try to give my kids a vacation road trip because money was tight I'd tell em to f right off. It's usually the better-off that get all preachy about people living within their means. People who haven't struggled. The only way for 90% of people to make it these days in the Bay is to tap into some form of generational wealth.

·
Registered
885 Posts
4-Runner oil cooler, check it

One of my siblings bought a '91 from my buddy after he had let the oil get too low and it went after the bearings and such. Took me forever to swap out the 3VZe engine with a Japanese take-out. Inspecting the oil pan resulted in the multiple broken rings, and then I hit the oil cooler located at the very bottom, it was clogged tight. Wasn't doing it's job at all, no wonder the rings bit the dust.

Great vehicle, just check that oil cooler and clean out the rad enough to keep things running at the right temps.

As for gas, don't worry, it will go back up again.

I saw the RAV4 ad and was like woah - they've come a long way! - I think there's even a TRD version.

In hindsight, my remark is kinda jerkish and hypocritical. I just bought a 1991 4Runner for cheap that will run for another 100k. It is a Hybrid in chromatic sense, however - Lots of different colored body parts!. The new tow hitch I put on last weekend and the OneUp USA rack I'm about to get for it will cost more than I paid!

Reuse! caw caw

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Good tips! I might just drop the pan for a look. Luckily this one was a single family truck that appears to have had regular maintenance and the T4R req'd stuff done (head gasket, ball joints, timing chain, etc.) over the years. I'll do my best to keep the oil fresh. Taking her to the Cascadia Full Tilt Enduro at Mt Shasta bike n ski park in a couple of weeks.

One of my siblings bought a '91 from my buddy after he had let the oil get too low and it went after the bearings and such. Took me forever to swap out the 3VZe engine with a Japanese take-out. Inspecting the oil pan resulted in the multiple broken rings, and then I hit the oil cooler located at the very bottom, it was clogged tight. Wasn't doing it's job at all, no wonder the rings bit the dust.

Great vehicle, just check that oil cooler and clean out the rad enough to keep things running at the right temps.

As for gas, don't worry, it will go back up again.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
HAHA It's got the 3.0L which is a fairly anemic design, but with the auto tranny and OD it cruises at 70 on the freeway all day. This is just for dad MTB fun. It has no airbags so wife isn't real stoked about the kids riding in it, which is OK because they don't fit - this thing is tiny inside. I'll have to get a grown-up car again after summer, I'm afraid.

hybrid as in pushing, towing and driving..JK. Ive had 3 of those and they seem to run a good long time as long as the maintenance is kept up. The 2nd gens are great 3.4L transplant candidates..

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.