Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine, who still rides a nice looking Klein Adept, told me the other day that the non-compete agreement that Gary Klein was dealt when he sold the company to Trek had expired and that he was getting back into building bikes. Does anyone know if there is truth to this?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it may be more like a folding up of the Klein tent all together?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I imagine that he will either try to retain the name or since Trek has bought and diluted the brand, come out with a new brand. Its ashame, back when I started riding in '87 there wasn't much aluminum around. Cannondale and Klein were some serious eye candy. Especially with some of the paint jobs on the Kleins.

·
2,548 Posts
bikewrench said:
........back when I started riding in '87 there wasn't much aluminum around. Cannondale and Klein were some serious eye candy. Especially with some of the paint jobs on the Kleins.
Hmmmmm, opinions are opinions ;) .... imho, the much revered old-school Klein paint jobs looked like elf vomit, to me. Sorry, I'm a simple, monochromatic kinda guy ;).... hehheh j/k, ...mostly ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gary made some of the very First Welded Aluminium frames while at MIT, in the mid 70's.

Gary Klein also holds the patents for the welded Aluminium tube, the butted aluminium tube and several others.

Also, remember most of the Klein product from the 90's was under Treks watch. They really didn't start to fall down until the last couple of years. Maybe it's a good idea for them to go away for a year, regroup and relaunch.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have no information on the matter, however foreign Klein websites are stocked with informatin on 2007 products. From what my local Klein dealer network have told me (none of them have stocked Kleins for a few years, but all have the Trek/Klein account) there may be no Klein bikes in the US for the year of 2007...WTF!!!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Give me a link to a foreign site with 2007 info. I can't google any.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My email from Klein

Christopher

We still sell Klein in the US. Fewer dealers for sure, less demand
created a need to trim our dealer base for 07. Quite a few dealers
still have 06 product available...

Thank-You
Vance McCaw
Tech Support/ Customer Service
Trek Klein LeMond Bontrager Fisher Mirraco
1 800 373 4594 X 12188

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.