Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying the new GF x-caliber 09, first ever bike so dont know much about stuff only what mates have told me? none of them have a 29er so they cant help me much?

other bikes i like are:

o Gary Fisher big sur disc 09
o trek 6700

any help please?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gary fisher x-caliber 09 spec

Frame
Platinum Series 6066 butted & hydroformed aluminum, cold-forged dropouts, G2 29" Geometry
Fork
Fox F80RL 29, 80mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 51mm offset crown, air spring, external rebound & lockout
Headset
1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
Front Derailleur
SRAM X.9
Rear Derailleur
SRAM X.7
Shifters
SRAM X.7, trigger
Cassette
SRAM PG950 11-32T, 9spd
Handlebar
Bontrager Race Big Sweep, 620mm width, 12d backsweep, 31.8mm
Stem
Bontrager SSR, 10d rise, 31.8mm
Saddle
Bontrager Race
Seatpost
Bontrager SSR, micro adjust, 27.2
Wheels
Bontrager Rhythm Disc 29, 28mm wide tubeless ready* rims
Tires
Bontrager XDX, 29x2.1 (53/51), tubeless ready, abrasion resistant,120 TPI aramid folding bead
Brakeset
Avid Juicy 3, hydraulic disc, 160mm Roundagon 6-bolt rotors
Crank Set
Shimano FC-M521, 44/32/22, Octalink

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gary fisher big sur disc spec:

Frame
Platinum Series aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted TT & DT, cold-forged dropouts & BB
Fork
Fox F100RL, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown, air spring, external rebound adjustment
Headset
1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
Pedals
Custom Crank Bros Candy w/cleats
Front Derailleur
Shimano SLX
Rear Derailleur
Shimano XT Shadow
Shifters
Shimano SLX
Cassette
SRAM PG950 11-32T, 9spd
Handlebar
Bontrager Race Lite Big Sweep, 640mm width, 12d sweep, 31.8mm
Stem
Bontrager Race X Lite OS, 7d rise, 31.8mm
Saddle
Bontrager Race Lite, hollow cromoly rails
Seatpost
Bontrager Race Lite, Infinite Adjust Head, 27.2mm
Wheels
Shimano M525 w/M570 (LX) freehub/sealed front hub, Bontrager Duster tubeless ready* 28mm wide disc rims, 32h
Tires
Bontrager XDX, 26 x 2.1 (55/53), tubeless ready, 120 TPI aramid folding bead
Brakeset
Avid Juicy 5, hydraulic disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep 6-bolt rotors
Crank Set
Shimano M542, 44/32/22, pipe style

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and finally Trek 6700 09 spec:

Frame:Alpha Black Series Aluminium with externally relieved headtube, Hydroformed bi-axial downtube and forget disc ready dropouts
Fork:RockShox Recon SL Coil Turnkey Lockout with 100mm travel and alloy steerer
Front Derailleur:Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur:SRAM X-9Shifters:SRAM X-7 9 SpeedChainset:Shimano M521 OctalinkChainrings:44/32/22 tooth chainringsCassette:SRAM PG950 11-34 tooth, 9 speed cassettePedals:platform pedal ATB styleFront Brake:Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc with 160mm rotorRear Brake:Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc with 160mm rotorBrake Levers:Avid Juicy 3Handlebars:Bontrager Race Riser with 40mm riseStem:Bontrager SSR 31.8mm with 10 degree riseHeadset:VP-A76C-TK 1-1/8 inch Semi-Cartridge, SealedRims:Bontrager Ranger with Eyelets 32 holeFront Hub:Shimano M535 Centerlock disc hubRear Hub:Shimano M535 Centerlock disc hubFront Tyre:Bontrager XR 2.2 Kevlar bead foldingRear Tyre:Bontrager XR 2.2 Kevlar bead foldingSaddle:Bontarger Race BasicSeatpost:Bontrager Race 31.6mm with 5mm offset

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
The X-Cal and the Big Sur are both great bikes, but you shouldn't decide to get a 29er vs a 26er based on a spec sheet.

Do what you can to get a test ride somewhere on a 29er and then decide. If you can't get a test ride, you still need to decide if a 29er sounds right for you or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will the x-cal with a 15.5" frame stand the same height off the ground as the big sur 15.5" frame? i know the wheels are bigger but i didnt know if the frame sat lower or not? i cant get one to test ride either so its a choice ill have to make on paper

cheers for the reply

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Mardy Face said:
will the x-cal with a 15.5" frame stand the same height off the ground as the big sur 15.5" frame? i know the wheels are bigger but i didnt know if the frame sat lower or not? i cant get one to test ride either so its a choice ill have to make on paper

cheers for the reply
GF uses the same BB height for 26er and 29ers, but according to their website the 15.5" Big Sur has a standover height of 703mm and the X-Cal has a standover of 726.8, or almost an inch higher. Whether that inch makes a difference for you is the important part

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I really like the GF bikes and I really like my local shop that sells Fisher bikes (which can be an important thing to consider for some people).

However, I do most all of my own maintenance and repairs and money was a factor for me, so I ended up buying an Ibex 29er hardtail last summer. They aren't making them right now, but I really liked mine and I got a great bike for the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.