Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for my first 29er. I am choosing between the Gary Fisher Cobia and the Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29. If you have any insight or good information for choosing one over the other I would love to hear it. I'm 6'2" 260. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Fisher, even with the Cobia, is pushing the envelope, making bikes better.

Specialized are doing what Fisher did in their first year (2002), but making it sound they solved all these (imaginary) problems with 29".

It's progress vs. blahdiblah.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Fisher uses a different front fork offset, which they refer to as their "G2 geometry". It does make the handling more nimble, as they claim. I've heard too, that Fisher tends to run a longer top tube on their bikes. I can't compare the Cobia to the Rockhopper, but I have personally ridden both the Hifi 29 and Stumpjumper FSR 29er, and I can tell you that I feel noticeably more stretched out on the Hifi. So those are two characteristics to pay attention to when you try the two bikes. And try them both out, if you possibly can.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Fisher top tubes have been longer. I had the idea the Sps were long too. It's not a really important feature, IMO, one can handle a decent range well, stems are not all the same length after all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I rode a sack of 29ers at a demo day. Two Fishers (FS and HT), a Niner FS, a Haro HT, a Specialized HT and some other HT that I can't remember right now. My impression of the two bikes in question would be: the Specy felt like a bike; the Fisher felt like a mountain bike.
That's my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
jcheinikel said:
Thanks guys...Im going Fisher!
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Fisher (I have one myself) but would still recommend test driving each. It's fun trying out different bikes and you'll learn something about each one and be able to physically feel the difference. It's sort of like buying a car. If I were deciding between a Mazda MX-5 and a Saturn Sky I could get people's opinions on an online forum, but am not going to make my decision until I see the car myself and feel how it handles.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I was looking at these two bikes and ended up going with the X-Cal. For the $300 you get a Fox Fork, SRAM X-9 Front, X-7 Rear, upgrades in seat, tires, everything PLUS Shimano Hydro brakes. It would cost you $750 plus labor to upgrade all that. I paid $1375 for it.

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
yeah. What BoomSoon said. If you can swing it definitely go for the x-cal over the cobia. The Fox fork is worth it alone. Best fork I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I also think Specialized is missing a big opportunity. There is nothing between the Rockhopper Comp (a grand give or take) and the Stumpjumper ($1750). That is just bad. The Stumpy is a great bike, but dang, I think the Paragon is less than that!

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
BoomingSooner said:
I also think Specialized is missing a big opportunity. There is nothing between the Rockhopper Comp (a grand give or take) and the Stumpjumper ($1750). That is just bad.
Specialized's entry into the 29er market was disappointingly half-hearted, and their approach was a bit strange. For example:

1) The designs on the more affordable bikes are very childish-looking. Where is the bike for someone with $1000 to spend who does not want a garish, orange frame with bullet-holes painted on it?

2) As you rightly point out, there is nothing "in between" for someone with, say, $1300-1400 to spend.

3) Their only full-suspension model is at a rarified price-point that many can't even consider. Fisher has full-suspension 29ers beginning at $1800. Specialized doesn't start until $4200. Fisher has the better pricing strategy, imho.

From the looks of their recent preview, I don't think Specialized will do any better in 2009.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Specialized Stumpjumer 29er

Yep, its expensive. Still, after 25+yrs of biking, its the most fun, most responsive, and most forgiving bike i have ever owned. Climbs like a banshee, descends with confidence.

4200 bucks aint cheap, but i see lots of peeps with more expensive rigs than that.

Buy it if u can!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I'm with ya. I went with the Fisher Rig, but to be honest, the M5 Stumpy 29 I rode last summer was really nice as well. Comparible to the Paragon. Just more $$$'s. The Cobia over the Rockhopper. Just my 2 cents at best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.