Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2011 it is about 4 months old. Good bike. It is made by Trek. Uses a GF frame. Good entry level 29er.

i looked at a 2012 recently. Has a nicer looking fork over the 2011. Some frame differences as well. nice in that green color.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wasn't looking at 29ers until now.

It seems like having that bigger tire size would make it harder to gain momentum.

I assume they are better for obstacles though.
I don't think so. My backup bike is a cheap wally 26, and it seems harder to get up and going than my 29er. It for sure holds momentum much more over the 26.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I believe 2010 was the last year that GF had his own line, sold to Trek, then they put out the 2011. From what I was comparing, my Marlin has a little better Fork (Dart 3 over ST), Cassette (9 over 8). My shifters are Deore, where as Trek Marlin has SRAM which are comparable to Alivio, not to mention same thing with Derailleur. At least I am pretty sure I am correct on them.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
I believe 2010 was the last year that GF had his own line, sold to Trek, then they put out the 2011.
Trek has owned the Gary Fisher brand for many years.Trek bought the brand in 1993. What they did in 2011 was to reposition Gary Fisher. Instead of presenting Gary Fisher as a stand-alone brand, Trek now presents Gary Fisher as a "collection" under the Trek brand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2012 Marlin. only about 100 miles on it in the last month. frame is nice. everything else will get upgraded as it fails.

overall it is a lot of bike for the money.

buy it you will like it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Trek has owned the Gary Fisher brand for many years.Trek bought the brand in 1993. What they did in 2011 was to reposition Gary Fisher. Instead of presenting Gary Fisher as a stand-alone brand, Trek now presents Gary Fisher as a "collection" under the Trek brand.
Ah, well now I have learned a little more about my bike. Good to know, Thanks!

Sorry was to the understanding that it was a stand alone company until recently.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I test rode a Marlin a few weeks ago, loved its feel and got sold on a 29er. Now I'm out shopping for an entry level 29er. The Marlin at this point is my go to. I tried a Hard Rock yesterday and didn't like its feel. I also looked at the Wahoo, but tossed that out when I heard it doesn't have double walled rims. I'm going to test ride a Diamondback Overdrive this morning.

I had some gearheads look over it for me the other day. They said it specs out good. The fact is, at that price point about all parts are similar and it's a matter or price. The thing with the GF products is they use G2 geometry, which is supposed to be better for handling cornering and slow speeds, but its a bit more pricier for front suspension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a 2011 Marlin for 3 weeks only putting around 20 miles on it. I loved the bike, but the shock seal came up and the brakes squeaked horribly. It was embarrassing having a brand new bike have so much noise coming from it. I took it back and my LBS upgraded me to a 2012 Mamba for a fantastic price. Trek stepped up for me. I also bought a Kaitai for my wife that she loves. My sons have a Jet 16 and a Trek Trikester.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I picked up my 2012 Marlin yesterday. Spent a lot of time contemplating what I should purchase. I wanted to stay local and get a decent trail bike. If you can get it for 600 bucks, thats great. I got it for 629 CDN. So roughly 700 bucks. I love the way it rides. I took it out today on a semi-rough trail today and it handled fine. People speak poorly of Suntour suspension so I'm not trying to over do them but they seemed to work fine. Lots of give to them, absorbed a bunch of roots and hills. Anyway, I'd reccommend it as a decent trail bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a 2011 Marlin for 3 weeks only putting around 20 miles on it. I loved the bike, but the shock seal came up and the brakes squeaked horribly. It was embarrassing having a brand new bike have so much noise coming from it. I took it back and my LBS upgraded me to a 2012 Mamba for a fantastic price. Trek stepped up for me. I also bought a Kaitai for my wife that she loves. My sons have a Jet 16 and a Trek Trikester.
I had the shock sliders (they aren't seals, it's a coil/elastomer shock) come loose on my '11 Marlin as well. The LBS where I bought it took it in and replaced the sliders under warranty. Apparently, the early forks on the 2011 models have this problem, but Trek is standing behind them.

As for the brakes, I find that the brakes do take some regular tending to keep them running smoothly and quietly, especially if you take the wheels off regularly. An allen wrench of the right size (for the inside pad-to-disc clearance) and some adjustment on the barrel adjusters for the outside clearance should do the trick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Mamba just has upgraded components. Forks are much better. You get Rockshox on the Mamba and Suntours on the Marlin. The forks could take more abuse on the Mamba. You could ride some heavier trails. But they are on the exact same frame with different colour schemes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Mamba just has upgraded components. Forks are much better. You get Rockshox on the Mamba and Suntours on the Marlin. The forks could take more abuse on the Mamba. You could ride some heavier trails. But they are on the exact same frame with different colour schemes.
just to add to this if the forks on the Mamba are are far as youwill go get the mamba. if you think you will ever upgrade forks get the marlin and do upgrades to it and save your cash

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.